Crying

OP
J

Juliejet

Jan 25, 2014
Sydney AU
Parrots
Red tail Black Cockatoo
Well last night he did go back and eat the rest of the sunflower and nuts mixed with 2 crushed pellets I don't really know how much of the pellets went down but at least he had a good go at it,I will continue to do this and slowly reduce the amount of seeds and potato and see how he goes.again thanks

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
A fully grown RTB can go through about 2 tablespoons of food at once, but it really does depend on the bird.
Some birds will eat all their food in one go, while others prefer to just pick at their food throughout the day.

OP
J

Juliejet

Jan 25, 2014
Sydney AU
Parrots
Red tail Black Cockatoo
A fully grown RTB can go through about 2 tablespoons of food at once, but it really does depend on the bird.
Some birds will eat all their food in one go, while others prefer to just pick at their food throughout the day.

So in one day what would I expect him to eat, how many tablespoons a day just to give me an idea what to aim for.His weight is 460 and he was 510 when I got him

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Do you happen to know what subspecies he is?
If he is a samueli (the most common type) he should be anywhere between 550-750 grams, and would normally eat around 1 cup of food a day (including a bit of spillage). If he is any other subspecies, he should weigh more and eat a little more.

chucka

Jan 13, 2014
Port Hedland West Australia
Parrots
Lewi - cockatiel
Esme - Galah
Pepper - RTB2
Hi julie i think everything has already been stated , i was just wondering how is jet going and the diet change ??

Cheers Charlie

OP
J

Juliejet

Jan 25, 2014
Sydney AU
Parrots
Red tail Black Cockatoo
Well altho my heart and life is empty I am happy to say that Jet has been rehomed to a family in Melbourne with 13 different Toos no RBTs yet but the next one that needs rehomeing will go to them.Jet is going great better than I had expected,he took to the gentleman instantly and so far no crying and that is exactly what I was hoping for with a change of scenery,they just adore him, I sent his cage and play stand so he could have some of his own things.The weeks leading up to him going I managed to get him onto soaked pellets with almonds and as usual the fresh veggies and only a couple of sunflower seed.

I would like to say a big thank you to this forum for the advice I have received from reading and reading unfortunately I wasn't able to make it work out with Jet but I am happy he is happy and hope it's not just the honeymoon period and the crying starts he is such a great little man I just wish he didn't cry with me,I still come on every day and read the new post lol,
Well any ways thank you

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Aw, you really gave it a good try, and did your best. I know you never MEANT to rehome. It's okay. Sounds like Jet found a nice place with other Too friends also! :)

Hope you find a new little friend who is better suited to you. Best wishes.

Most Reactions