Cyber Bird Watching?

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
Anyone out there have web cams trained on their parrots?

Skittles appears to be involved in some amazing antics and I would love to spy on him. However, I'm not not very experienced in the fine art of digital espionage.

I could use some advice.

Thanks,

Forbey

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
Webcams are pretty simple to set up. If you have a cable provider they will actually help you out as well. If they cant help you for some reason you can get the information from any electronics store. Get a good webcam - probably in the $100 - $150 range. The breeder where we got our GW from puts a webcam on a different cage each week. My two favorites are the Macaws and Caiques.

Sassy

Jun 4, 2012
Bethlehem PA
Parrots
Neytiri -CAG 4/11/12
Scooter Pie -Caique 8/12
Butch - citronella 'too 1988
Skittles - caique 4/13
Ringo - caique 2009
Chica - caique 2006
Rascal - RBC 2001
We have them set up to watch our birds. It's great because you can talk to them too.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
You could get a video baby monitor- if you have an iPhone there's the "ibaby" and you can check in on him any moment, any where.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
@Getwozzy

I'm interested in this! Can you give me the brand of the baby monitor you are using? Also is it mountable? I'm guessing it has Wifi capabilities for it to work in tandem with the iphone?

OP
forbey

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
Please continue. I wonder if there is and Android App to do the same thing?

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Here's the link for the ibaby monitor:

http://www.ibabylabs.com/product/monitor3

I don't specifically use this one (it costs $200), but it looks like it only works with iPad/iPhone/iPod/PC (not android). It says it's mountable, and you can control the camera movement from your device. You can talk to your "baby" as well as listen, take still photos, and movement/noise sends alerts to your device. Pretty snazzy, but too pricey for me!

The one I have for my son is this:
F276EADB-183E-4590-A97B-439DA6A56E35-2286-0000015432E2F61D_zpsc4d482e4.jpg

It has a handheld monitor with sound, night vision, but the down side is you can't remotely move the camera like the ibaby. It does have 4 channels so you can have multiple cameras. It's $97 through amazon.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Thank you! Ill start looking around, maybe I can find a cheaper brand haha! Definitely want something like this though!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Getwozzy,

Is this the iPhone app you use in tandem with your baby monitor?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibaby-monitor-bm/id463286055?mt=8

It's called Ibaby Monitir BM. Noticed it god bad reviews on the App Store is all.

I would assume it's the app, but I don't use the ibaby monitor...I have the infant optics monitor which has its own handheld monitor and isnt as snazzy as the ibaby- but it's cheaper lol
I'm sure there's gotta be something else out there that would work with an iPhone...?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Oh right, sorry I misunderstood. Thanks!

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Forbey,

Here's another thing I found in my search you might be interested in:

[ame=http://youtu.be/jl6xi7UDRw8]Ozaki O!Care Wireless Video Camera for iPhone, iPad and iPod Remote Control Review - YouTube[/ame]

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
@Forbey

... aaand here's another one. The most promising one so far. You can use it for android too AND you don't need to hook up to the computer. Which means you save on energy not having to keep your pc on all day, not to mention the heat the pc generates when its running.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/camera-photo/dp/B007X5MZKS"]Amazon.com: ImogenStudio +Cam - Wireless Network Camera for iPhone and Android: Camera & Photo[/ame]

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
If you have a computer available that you can attach a webcam to, or if your parrot has your old tablet, I suggest https://vsee.com/ (I work there :) )
You can set it to auto-answer from you and family, and call in on your iPad etc.

OP
forbey

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
I don't have an ipad, I don't even have a "mypad".

My internet provider is through my cell phone, so I don't think I could get the signal out to me without signing up for another internet service. That would be cost prohibitive.

Last night I tried to get Skittles "talking" to himself. I could hear him from the other room. He has to be in a very good pychological place to make these sounds. They are kind of "erps", "eeps", and cooing noises. very pleasant tone wise and they make me want to spy on him; but, when he hears me get out of my chair he stops and goes into his "hi, baby" routine. I know when he is AGITATED, cuz all he does is scream "WWHAAT", repeatedly!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
My internet provider is through my cell phone, so I don't think I could get the signal out to me without signing up for another internet service. That would be cost prohibitive.

Hopefully you have "unlimited data" with your cell plan, otherwise you might have to worry about overage charges.

davisn456

May 3, 2013
Saint Albans, WV
Parrots
1 B&G Macaw - Frankie
You definitely don't want to try streaming video constantly if you're using a data card like that. I'm curious if you've thought about using Skype or something like that? It can be set to only turn on the video and auto-answer when you call. That would be a lot less data consumption, and should work ok for a data card. A cheap webcam would work fine for that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts