Dangers in microwaves?

Feu

Apr 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Huginn - Black Headed Caique (male, hatched March 2011)
Recently my microwave broke and I need to go get a new one. I'd never heard of issues with microwaves, but a quick search online came up with one or two "my second cousin's wife's brother's ex-roommate said..." posts warning against even owning a microwave. I called GE and the woman said that anything under 1.9 cubic interiors have a "white epoxy coating" which meant nothing to either of us, and anything larger has a type of "black ceramic enamel coating". I'm going to call around more, but I just wanted some insight first!

So how about it? Has anyone ever heard of an issue? What kind of microwave do you have? Who hasn't had an issue? I've used two before this with Hu without incident, but they were about seven to ten years old.

Edit - I called Kenmore, and aside from one model with an "EZ-Clean" coating, they said the white interior is "painted metal" and couldn't give me anything beyond that. Anybody know what that's made out of?

Last edited:

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
It's just epoxy paint usually, which is a two part plastic type paint. But microwaves aren't dangerous to birds, unless you put them IN the microwave.

OP
Feu

Feu

Apr 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Huginn - Black Headed Caique (male, hatched March 2011)
Thanks, Phlox! I really wasn't sure about the epoxy. It seems that unless the microwave says something about easy to clean or otherwise, it's safe. Huginn and I are off to buy a microwave! And some bookshelves, but that's unrelated...

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Good thread and good response from Phlox. Sorry to hi-jack your thread, Feu but I have a follow up question:

When the microwave is running, Boomer sometimes likes to watch the dish spin from the other side. I remove him from the spot because people say it is harmful to stand close to a running microwave. Any truth in this?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
When the microwave is running, Boomer sometimes likes to watch the dish spin from the other side. I remove him from the spot because people say it is harmful to stand close to a running microwave. Any truth in this?

I don't know, but I always get nervous when I open the microwave door before it's done with the time, without hitting 'stop' first :52:

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
The only problem I've ever experienced with a microwave other than user error/stupidity(i.e. a girl in my senior class put a metal travel mug in the microwave before school or my 14 year old cousin putting a fork in the microwave starting it both times they said they didn't know you can't put metal in the microwave) is my grandmothers new microwaves handle came off after 3 months. Otherwise they are fine.

Most Reactions