Delicate situation- any advice needed!

Emilymaggie

Dec 22, 2014
Connecticut
Parrots
African grey, Hahn's macaw, Parrotlets, Ring-necked doves
Anyone with any level of experience please speak up!

I start a new job next month and we found a place that accommodates my animals. My timeline will be this:
My boyfriend moves a majority of our things (except the birds and their rooms) all this week. We are going away the 28th to visit friends, and come back the 2nd. We will be moving the birds and the rest of the house on the 3rd. I have arranged to have the first couple weeks off from my new job, except the 6th-8th, to stay home and help transition our animals.
Here is where I need advice! My grey is a plucker. He doesn't seem to do it from being nervous anymore as much as I think it just feels good now, in a weird way. I know it's an "emotional condition", so I am worried how he will react to a move. Next is my mini Mac. He has been a screamer since we adopted him at the end of summer. He does it much less now, but I don't want the move to have him go back to screaming all day again ( as of now he only really screams when we come home and he is excited to see us, and when he knows we are getting his dinner ready).
What do you guys recommend for keeping everyone sane? The birds and me included ;) we are on the top floor, so I was thinking of putting mats down on the bird room floor to help absorb the noise of my macaw, but as for my grey should I keep him in our room so he knows he is still safe with us and he'll recognize the furniture? Or in an area where he will see us the most? I don't want to spend 24/7 with them the first two weeks and then have them panic when I suddenly go back to work again. And what should I do about being gone the 3rd-6th? A new coworker said they would be willing to watch the birds while we are away, but I don't want them to think they have been rehomed :( all of my birds are rescues, the last thing they need is to feel like they have been passed through another household. Especially my grey, he's been through a lot.
I am willing to do whatever it takes to smooth this move for my birds. Please offer any advice at all that you can offer, I am open to anything!

Most Reactions

Latest posts