Depression

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I agree with you Trish but I couldn't stop laughing about flung your stuffs around. I have a few that does the samething.....lol

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Oh Mikey! I didn't know you wore dentures too! LOLOLOL!

My old Galah, Aloysius, used to take great pleasure in picking up my leatherworking stamps one by one and flinging them off the workbench. One day, my Dad left a pound of two-inch nails on the bench and when he got back, guess where they all were? Yep! On the floor! One by one... :D

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
The avian vet just left here and she gave him a clean bill of health. I mentioned everything that I told you all about his personality. She looked at me and said definitely not depression. She described the symptoms of depression and he doesn't have them. (Here is a link so you can read up on it. http://birds.about.com/od/birdhealth/f/depression.htm)
He is absolutely as healthy as can be and he's just a laid back mellow bird. She also said every bird is different so don't worry any more. The age may play into it as well. I asked about the lack of hormonal season and she said since he was rehomed January/February last year, it may have played a factor and it may make an appearance this year. She also said clipping didn't affect Rudy because he looked fantastic and well adjusted because she was able to handle him without being bitten.

I am ecstatic that I do not have anything to worry about. The fee for the mobile vet was well worth it because of the way you all said my bird's problem was depression which made me feel I was a bad parront for clipping his wings. As I have said more than once, it's for his safety. I do not want to take any chances or experience the accidents some members have gone through due to not clipping.

Last edited:

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I'm glad to hear he's healthy!! :)

...the way you all said my bird's problem was depression made me feel I was a bad parront.

Awww Denise- I'm sorry you felt that way! :( I'm sure none of us intended to make you feel that way, I know that wasn't my intention. IMHO everything you described about his personality and the events that lead up to his behaviors, sounded like he was depressed. And even if he was depressed you shouldn't let that make you feel like a bad parront! Everything you've done for him has been in his best interest, and not every bird owner would have a vet do house call because they're worried about their baby :)

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Merlee, could you give us a ball park figure of how much it costs for the mobile vet to come to your house ? I'd be very interested in something like that, not just for our birds (I'd feel awful if a bird of mine somehow escaped during a vet trip) but for our dogs and why not get the cat in there as well. I'm not asking for an itemization of your vet's visit lol - just a ball park figure so I, and maybe others, would have an idea of cost.

I'm very glad your bird is healthy, and that it's just his low-key personality that had you a bit worried. I wish everybody could get such good news.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yes they can. Remember that he depends on you for all of his stimulus. Once they become a perch potato, it's a lot of work to get them out of it.

Keep trying new things and try to find what perks his interest.

EXACTLY!!!

Plus, if this bird was very bonded to his owner, that can also do it.

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Merlee, could you give us a ball park figure of how much it costs for the mobile vet to come to your house ? I'd be very interested in something like that, not just for our birds (I'd feel awful if a bird of mine somehow escaped during a vet trip) but for our dogs and why not get the cat in there as well. I'm not asking for an itemization of your vet's visit lol - just a ball park figure so I, and maybe others, would have an idea of cost.

I'm very glad your bird is healthy, and that it's just his low-key personality that had you a bit worried. I wish everybody could get such good news.

The vet charged me $80 just for the drive to my house which was more than my cost to drive to a vet in Atlanta but with the cold weather and possibly adding more stress for the 3 hour round trip, it was worth it.

The vet said the CBC didn't need to be done. She said he was in great shape, the lungs and sinuses were clear, the droppings looked good as well as the weight.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Ah well that's all very reasonable then - considering our vet charges $35 just to walk int he door anyways. Thank you so much for getting back to me :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts