Desperate for help! avian behaviorist? prozac?

BirdMama

Jul 31, 2014
THANK YOU FOR CLICKING ON THIS POST!! I'll try to keep this relatively short..
I have a conure and a mini macaw. I would consider myself an experienced bird owner, since I have had the mini for nearly 13 years, but I MUST be doing something wrong and am so desperate for help.

I love my birds dearly so when my husband and I relocated a couple of years ago we took the birds with us. I have no doubt that this was a traumatic experience for both since it required a long plane ride, new cages, new home. We had to downsize to a one bedroom apartment w/ living room, from having a large enough house where the birds were in separate rooms. That first year in the new apartment was extremely difficult for all of us - because that's when the year of epic tantrums began. I worked out of our bedroom while the birds occupied the living room (in separate cages next to each other). They would scream for HOURS on end. I thought I was going to have a mental breakdown. They woke up every day at dawn (sometimes before 6) and screamed bloody murder. I know vocalization in the a.m. is normal but this was beyond that. It was never ending. Since we lived in an apartment we had to get up right when they did and take them out right away. Fine, we adjusted our lifestyle to accommodate that and have been doing it since.

The mini became extremely attached to my husband and I think has separation anxiety when he goes to work in the mornings, because that starts another hour+ tantrum.

We have now have lived in a rental house with a larger living room & 2 bedrooms, so it is more "home like" of an environment, for over a year now. I thought this would help some of the problems. It did seem to a little bit. But it's still a small house and the birds are in a shared space that we walk through to get anywhere.

I acknowledge that the trigger here is definitely that we have moved twice in a 2 year period. We are trying to buy a house so that we don't have to move again for a very long time. I know we all need the stability.

I set a routine for the birds, in which they get 13-14 hours of sleep per day. 11 hours at night, and at least a 2 hour nap in the afternoon. I try to have them nap at the same time every day. Not sure if they are napping while I'm working after the morning tantrum too.

Since I set the routine, things seemed to get a little better. I decided to take the mini to very reputable avian vet here, three times to evaluate his behavior when things started getting worse again. I thought he was starting to pick out some feathers under his wings. She gave us a variety of medicines to try (not inc. prozac), but they were supposed to help calm him down a bit. I really didn't want to do this, I feel bad medicating, but she said that we probably needed a two prong approach. IE short term medication to mellow him while we try to tackle his behavior, environment or other possible stressors. Some of the medications were for in case he had a parasite making his skin itch or something, I can't remember exactly. She wants him to try prozac if it doesn't get better.

Nothing helped. I was eventually advised to try making him forage for his food in case he is bored. He has a large cage and I am constantly buying the birds new toys from Dr Foster. I ordered one of those cardboard box feeders where the bird has to rip apart the box for food. He seemed to like that a lot so I got some other foraging toys. He will not touch them. He plays with toys sometimes, but I feel like he is so reliant on human companionship. He WILL sit on perches if it's near my husand or I, but a lot of the time he fusses and wants to sit on us instead. He screams a lot (seemingly for no reason but I'm sure there is a "reason"), and it makes the conure join in and work each other up. When my husband is home he spends most of his time on his shoulder and shreds his tshirts like he is preening him excessively.

I guess I am at my wits end. I have a baby coming in a couple of months and I just don't know how this is going to work anymore. My husband is losing his patience. I don't want to get rid of either bird, I want a real solution. So I guess my question is, from reading my story, do any of you have suggestions? I'm looking into contacting an avian behaviorist because I feel like I've tried everything in the book, but none live here. Anyone have experience doing a training/consultation over skype or the phone? I found one guy called the Bird Whisperer, and took a look at this website https://iaabc.org/consultants because they list certified parrot behaviorists.

HELP :(:( What am I doing wrong!???

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Do you cover at night, and uncover in the morning? That might help.

Screaming protocols have been posted a million times on this site.

Cover the cage on three sides when the bird starts his little tantrum. If he doesn't quiet down he gets covered 100% til he does quiet down. NOW HERE'S THE CRITICAL PART: Once he quiets down, you uncover the front of the cage, and praise him for being good, and reward him. If he remains quiet, he gets uncovered all the way.

These birds are attention oriented and need structured interaction. The more structured you are, the more they get it. They need at least 4 hours per day out time and interaction.

Some are also line of sight screamers. (excessive flock calling) i.e. if they can hear you but can't see you, they call to you to make sure you're alright.

I'm not big on the birdie prozac approach...

OP
B

BirdMama

Jul 31, 2014
I cover them both at bed time with a light colored bed sheet. I have been calmly covering the cages when the tantrums start, but then I read that might be reinforcing the behavior because I am "showing up" when they scream. I have started rewarding the brief moments of silence by uncovering them and taking them out, but it takes over an hour to reach that moment of silence. I'll try the partial uncover as a reward thing..

What should I do if the tantrum starts and he's out of his cage? Keep putting him back in with the cover on & leave the room?

What should I do when they start screaming if they hear me on the phone? I call to them sometimes but it seems to escalate when I do that.

I calculate that they're out probably 7 hours a day. The majority of that time they're either sitting next to us/on us or playing near us. I worry about the structure comment you made, because that's going to be really difficult with a newborn

And I hear you on the birdie prozac thing.. I really want to avoid that at all costs. I don't think it would be fair to him.

OP
B

BirdMama

Jul 31, 2014
I have tried AviCalm too, it does seem to make a slight difference but it stops working after a couple of weeks

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I would try to find a darker/heavier covering. I like to make sure the bird has complete darkness when covered, and I dont know of any bed sheets thick enough to give that. Now, that said, bed sheet may be one of the safest options because you have to be careful about claws getting caught. Whatever you use needs to be rightly woven enough to prevent that. Maybe try two layers - something better at light blocking, but with the sheet in between to protect the feet.

You mentioned he screams when not in the cage. If he is right with you when it happens I would suggest placing him back in the cage as the first step, as obviously you cannot cover him otherwise. I would also suggest however that you not leave him out of his cage when you are not in the room. Then when you "respond" to him, you are not responding to him by picking him up (to go back in his cage) but just to cover it. Do it is boringly as possible.

I did a version of this with my first bird - a budgie who preferred us to other birds. It wasnt exactly the same, but similar.

OP
B

BirdMama

Jul 31, 2014
You're right, I do need a cover that blocks the light. Really the only thing I'm accomplishing with the bed sheets is it blocks their view for the most part. A heavier covering might also help the early morning wake up calls. I'll try to get that issue sorted out this week yet. Thanks for the suggestions.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

Ducatimom

Jun 10, 2014
Media
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
6 yr old Sun Conure (Ducati)
We've started using this technique with Ducati and it worked wonders. We had tried just ignoring him and calling to him when he's quiet to no avail. Tried covering him and it worked like a charm. It took a while for him to be quiet and get what I was trying to do. We did a step system when he was good. If it was covered all the way and he was quiet for a little while (by quiet I mean not screaming. Flight calls and little chirps I didn't count as him not being quiet), the front was uncovered, then taken off, then the cage got opened. Sometimes he'll be out of his cage and will start up, granted he's still on his cage because he's right next to the couch where we usually are. When that happens I make him go back in and I close his door. He usually calms down after that so we don't have to put the blanket on him.

OP
B

BirdMama

Jul 31, 2014
I'm going to start doing the step system. I really had never thought about trying that. Thanks. I'll be sure to update on our progress.

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Forgive me if I missed it, but do you engage in any training with your birds? If not, please try it. Learning new activities is not only a great way of bonding with you, but it stimulates the birds brain and helps calm them. Also, what toys do they have, and are they rotated, changed often? Boredom is another cause for excess noise. Keeping them busy will give them something else to focus on. Try foraging toys, rather than giving them all of their food in their regular bowls.

Most Reactions