Diamond in the rough

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
oh so happy!

Yesterday i got diamond to put a foot on me and keep it there for a good 5 minutes. He then ran up to the top of his cage and went nuts. My wife had just walked in the door, heard all the commotion and started to video from inside. Unfortunately you couldn't hear diamond through the double pane window, the football game on tv, my brothers football commentary, barking dog and my wifes "oh my god"s and "i'm gonna cry" so i deleted the sound. Unfortunately i couldn't delete the oh my god dirty window!

Anyway, diamond was talking a mile a minute saying "go, go, go. Go diamond go, scott, scott, go, go" with a dozen other phrases i couldn't make out. When he gets excited and starts saying "go" or "get out" i've begun to tell him he needs to step up if he wants to go.

At one point in the video it looks like he's attacking and biting my hand but he's barely touching me. For a couple weeks he's just been testing me to see what my hand is going to do so i've really worked on not reacting when i'm sure he's just testing.

first step up - youtube

yaaaaaaaayyyy go diamond, go scott, go diamond, go scott :d

Nicky76

Apr 17, 2016
UK
Parrots
Archie the Patagonian Conure and Chilli and Doris the Kakarikis ❤️
Yippee [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
I am sorry, I tried to photo feathers ready for preening, but I seem to be missing an arm in order to hold the phone, find/hold the feather and hold the overlapning feathers away :(

I did however get a photo of a tail feather on a scarlet, which is not ready eventhough it's quite long.

If you look at the black line down the middle, you can see the line clearly the entire way. When it's ready you can't see the contours of the feather below.

I hope I have explained myself clearly.

This feather will probably be ready for some preening in 2-3 days. I can try to take a photo again then :)

Attachments

• IMG_20161129_131520689.jpg
    IMG_20161129_131520689.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 48
OP
S

Scottj

Oct 12, 2016
Northern California
Parrots
Diamond; blue&gold macaw. Metal band indicates Imported pre 1990 so...at LEAST 27yrs old.
He did let me get ahold of it. I thought it would slide right off but it seemed quite stuck. Didn't try the upper section just the one closer to the end. Its very grayish/dead looking. He wasn't too happy with me and I wasn't able to pull it off.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
You don't pull the sheaths off. You just kind of gentle crush them between your fingers and they flake off. But don't pull the feather the wrong way or it might hurt and Diamond will tell you don't bite, and don't crush them if the feather is still very new as that hurts also - the sheaths are protective. You won't be able to slide them because of the barbs on the feathers.

Go go go, Diamond go, Scott Scott Diamond go!

Oh please, get a video of him talking like that.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
P.S. I keep rewinding the video back to the first step up and the look on your face...then at the end, popping open the treat can...take them! Take all you want! Take everything!

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
He did let me get ahold of it. I thought it would slide right off but it seemed quite stuck. Didn't try the upper section just the one closer to the end. Its very grayish/dead looking. He wasn't too happy with me and I wasn't able to pull it off.

I will try to get a video of me taking off the sheaths off Tino in a few days, when it's ready. I will TRY :)

OP
S

Scottj

Oct 12, 2016
Northern California
Parrots
Diamond; blue&gold macaw. Metal band indicates Imported pre 1990 so...at LEAST 27yrs old.
Thanks for all your help everyone.

I will get a video of him "go Diamond go"ing me as soon as I can.

I am feeling really bad right now for Diamond. I had to rush my son Jason to the ER Monday afternoon. He has pneumonia and a colapsed lung. He was airlifted to Stanford medical which is gonna be my new home for a while. Sucks all the way around.

Nicky76

Apr 17, 2016
UK
Parrots
Archie the Patagonian Conure and Chilli and Doris the Kakarikis ❤️
Oh no, hope Jason is ok. I'm sure we'll all send positive thoughts your way :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
Oh, Scott, that's terrible. I hope Jason will be OK - you couldn't have him at a better place. Keep us posted, please. I know everyone's thoughts will be with you and yours.

Most Reactions

Latest posts