Diarrhea??

dulphinz

Apr 30, 2013
NH
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Coco
Female B&G- Tinker
Hi,

Tinker my B&G has been acting fine and her droppings were perfectly normal yesterday. This morning...these puddles of diarrhea! What could be causing this? Should I bring her to the vet's or could it be something she ate?

Thanks for your help!

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
What did she eat in the last day or so? If she ate a lot of fruits and veggies then that could be it, in which case you don't really have anything to worry about. Just back off on the juicy stuff. However, if she hasn't eaten anything that could give her "diarrhea" then you might want to take her to the vet for a check, as constantly drinking too much could be a sign of illness, and if the "diarrhea" isn't caused by food, it could be caused be an illness. Sometimes birds do just get runny poos because of drinking too much or eating too much juicy food, though, so it's not necessarily something to panic over. Just keep a very close eye on her...Good luck!

OP
D

dulphinz

Apr 30, 2013
NH
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Coco
Female B&G- Tinker
Thanks! I give her a good size dish of fruits and veggies everyday and she has been going to town for the pas few days (pears, peppers, cukes, strawberries (only a few), apple, etc). Think that could have something to do with it? Should I give her a mix of grains today to try to get her droppings back to normal? Again, yesterday her droppings were totally fine.

Thanks again for the quick response. I tend to go in panic mode pretty quickly :D

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Some of the foods you listed (peppers, cukes) have VERY high water content, and would certainly cause the watery droppings. However, if you feed some solids, they should quite quickly turn back to their normal consistency. :)

Most Reactions