Diet preferred?

Jessw931

Nov 11, 2015
What do the majority of you feed? Store bought parrot food? Fresh foods, or a combination? Right now she's on just a general parrot mix food, just called premium parrot food, comes in a 4 lb container and is a colorful mix of stuff this is what she was on when we got her. We also do nuts, since they are in stores right now, and fresh veggies, and some pasta and chicken. What "parrot food" does everyone use? Is this kind ok? She really doesn't seem to eat a lot of the parrot food, she picks through it a couple times a day. Oh! And we were given a bag of hemp seed with her also, he said he put it with peanut butter and gave it to her when she was stressed, we haven't given it to her for one she hasn't been stressed and and didn't know if it's a good idea?:blue:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Here are some photos and the links of my recipes. :)

http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-food-recipes-diet/22594-cook-portion-freeze-my-recipe.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-food-recipes-diet/34185-slop-chop-mix-ala-wendy-s-kitchen.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-food-recipes-diet/28298-my-birdie-bread-macs-love-these.html

My own big macs get fed a large variety of foods. Here are some photos:
IMG_6620_zps38976e88.jpg

These nuts are for my Macs
IMG_6621_zpsb31ca667.jpg

IMG_6619_zps335eb3bb.jpg

My homecooked stuff
IMG_6623_zps303b7ca8.jpg

And fresh fruits and veggies
IMG_6622_zps6be71e1e.jpg

Choy, Sugar Snap Peas, Red Peppers, Jalapenos, Carrot, Zucchini, Broccoli, Celery, Plum & Peach.

Please don't ask me the nutritional values, as I have absolutely NO clue. :32:

Ripley had a hard time just “watching”.

OP
J

Jessw931

Nov 11, 2015
That's awesome!!! We have been doing some of the same veggies and Sammi loves them! How much do you feed each day? I kinda worry she isn't eating enough? We keep food at all her locations, which means, food bowls everywhere lol. She had clipped wings when we got her, so she can't fly back to cage to eat.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I do a mixture of everything as well. Not as elaborate as Wendy's meals, but they get fresh and pellet mixes, with nuts, fruits and veggies every day. And they generally get a little bit of what ever we're having for dinner that they can eat as well. (Beans, rice, pasta, chicken, fish, veggies, etc.)

None of my macaws are picky eaters. Nor are they shy about stuffing themselves. They do, however, still toss a considerable amount of food every day. It's normal.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I always keep their dry food bowls filled. The fresh/homecooked stuff gets put in in the morning for 2 hours, then I remove them so nothing spoils. They get birdy bread every other day. And in the PM they get fresh/homecooked again for a couple of hours before they go night-night. :)

As for the nuts, I feed pistachios and pine nuts sparingly, as treats, because they are so expensive. Each big mac gets 6-8 walnuts/day and 2 handful of the mixed nuts.

OP
J

Jessw931

Nov 11, 2015
Do you thaw before feeding? We are going to be making this up this weekend! Also, the slop/chop you are only fixing a days worth at a time or freezing also?

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Wendy, Ripley is so gorgeous! I just love seeing him "helping" you make chop! Oh wait, he's the taste tester for the flock :D

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Do you thaw before feeding? We are going to be making this up this weekend! Also, the slop/chop you are only fixing a days worth at a time or freezing also?

Oh yes, I not only thaw, I make it warm. All of mine just LOOOVE warm foods.

When I make a chop/slop mix, I make enough for 3-4 days, so I 'only' have to make it twice a week. :) I don't freeze my chop mix, I keep it refrigerated. The homecooked food gets frozen in portions big enough to feed 4 (since I have 4 fids).

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Suggestion: Warm oatmeal eaten off a spoon while sitting on your lap...

Set the towel down, set the bird down on your lap on the towel. Spoon feed him. Watch the fun.

Madaip

Jun 28, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
B&G hatched 06-25-2015 (girl)
I got a question about the vegetables do they need to be boiled ? Like the carrots and broccoli for example!

OP
J

Jessw931

Nov 11, 2015
I'm not sure if your supposed to or not, but my Sammy loves raw carrots! She loves snapping and crunching them!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'm not sure if your supposed to or not, but my Sammy loves raw carrots! She loves snapping and crunching them!

I wish I could get mine to eat them consistently. I give them to them, BUT more often than not, those end up being projectiles...

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots

I wish I could get mine to eat them consistently. I give them to them, BUT more often than not, those end up being projectiles...

The only way I can get Zilla to eat carrots is to grate them and mix with her other fresh veggies. They stick to the other veggies and she kinda has to eat a bit. Or if I steam them and she sees me eating them.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
......The only way I can get Zilla to eat carrots is to grate them and mix with her other fresh veggies. They stick to the other veggies and she kinda has to eat a bit. Or if I steam them and she sees me eating them.

There are days mine go ballistic over raw baby carrots, and then there are days my gang decides my walls look good in orange. :54:

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
......The only way I can get Zilla to eat carrots is to grate them and mix with her other fresh veggies. They stick to the other veggies and she kinda has to eat a bit. Or if I steam them and she sees me eating them.

There are days mine go ballistic over raw baby carrots, and then there are days my gang decides my walls look good in orange. :54:

She does like the rainbow baby carrots, or I should say she likes the purple ones. She likes purple food...cauliflower, grapes, carrots, beets, if it's purple she will at least try it. I know, she's a bit strange, but she's an Amazon!

Weezerj

Mar 29, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Parrots
Illiger's Macaw (Loki)
My boy doesn't seem to like anything he has to tear apart. The smaller I can chop it, or if I can mash it, the better....

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
Lol, my Amazon won't try any food that is orange! I may have pushed trying sweet potatoes alittle to far.:20:If I offer him anything orange he runs away from it.:28:

Most Reactions