Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Heys guys!

Some of you may have seen my thread about Milly the rescue house sparrow, I have a question.
I saw on a FaceBook group that captive house sparrow should be given dirt regularly ? To 'bathe' in? I know there aren't many (or any!) sparrow owners on here but does this sound safe?
They said it helps with excess oil in their feathers but that it's still important to let them take water baths.
Any help is welcomed!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Heys guys!

Some of you may have seen my thread about Milly the rescue house sparrow, I have a question.
I saw on a FaceBook group that captive house sparrow should be given dirt regularly ? To 'bathe' in? I know there aren't many (or any!) sparrow owners on here but does this sound safe?
They said it helps with excess oil in their feathers but that it's still important to let them take water baths.
Any help is welcomed!
It's very safe. a lot of birds actually dust bathe. Like chicken!

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
It's very safe. a lot of birds actually dust bathe. Like chicken!
Okay! So what dirt would be safe? Should I bake dirt from my yard in the oven? Or pesticide free top soil?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Heys guys!

I saw on a Facebook group that captive house sparrow should be given dirt regularly ? To 'bathe' in? I know there aren't many (or any!) sparrow owners on here but does this sound safe?
Any help is welcomed!
I don't see how flapping around in dirt or dust can do anything good for your captive house sparrow. Perhaps wild birds to it to help with feather parasites. I know house sparrows, like most wild birds, love water baths. Maybe they like "dust baths" too, but that doesn't mean it's necessary. Horses like to roll in dust, dogs like to roll in smelly things and cats like to catch mice and terrorize them by play with them before killing them- that doesn't mean you need to let them! My opinion only, of course!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I don't see how flapping around in dirt or dust can do anything good for your captive house sparrow. Perhaps wild birds to it to help with feather parasites. I know house sparrows, like most wild birds, love water baths. Maybe they like "dust baths" too, but that doesn't mean it's necessary. Horses like to roll in dust, dogs like to roll in smelly things and cats like to catch mice and terrorize them by play with them before killing them- that doesn't mean you need to let them! My opinion only, of course!
Dust baths can be very important for certain bird species; itā€™s great for chickens and quail, but sparrows are also frequent dusters:

Dust baths, also called dusting, dirt baths, or sand bathing, are part of a birdā€™s preening and plumage maintenance that keeps feathers in top condition. The dust that is worked into the birdā€™s feathers will absorb excess oil to help keep the feathers from becoming greasy or matted. The oil-soaked dust is then shed easily to keep the feathers clean and flexible for more aerodynamic flight and efficient insulation. Dry skin and other debris can also be removed with excess dust, and regular dusting may help smother or minimize lice, feather mites, and other parasites.

Hundreds of bird species have been recorded as dusting, though the frequency of the habit varies for each species, the time of year, and the local climate conditions. Sparrows of many types are some of the most frequent dusters, as are game birds including California quail, ring-necked pheasants, helmeted guineafowl and wild turkeys. Thrushes, thrashers, larks, and wrens take regular dust baths as well. Birds that live in arid regions are commonly seen dust bathing. Even some raptors, including different species of kestrels, use dust bathing for part of their preening, and so do ostriches and emus.

Source: https://www.thespruce.com/how-and-why-birds-take-dust-baths-386438

No need to get dirt from the yard. They sell chicken bath dust now that keeping backyard poultry is popular. Itā€™s often made of volcanic ash, and brands like the one Iā€™m linking here contain no other additives:

Avoid letting her bathe in it near the parrots, though; it is dusty and breathing it can be an irritant for species of bird for whom dust bathing is an unlikely outlet.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
We used it for our button quail, and bought it from the pet store. They absolutely loved it, and in fact hated water and we were told that for them dust baths were required instead of water.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Dust baths can be very important for certain bird species; itā€™s great for chickens and quail, but sparrows are also frequent dusters:

No need to get dirt from the yard. They sell chicken bath dust now that keeping backyard poultry is popular. Itā€™s often made of volcanic ash, and brands like the one Iā€™m linking here contain no other additives:

Avoid letting her bathe in it near the parrots, though; it is dusty and breathing it can be an irritant for species of bird for whom dust bathing is an unlikely outlet.
I had to chuckle reading this very interesting passage from The Spruce because it reminded me of the cans of "dry shampoo" we used years (decades) ago when we couldn't wash our hair for some reason. What's funny is that the stuff actually worked! It absorbed all the excess oil. The birds were obviously on to this trick long before humans were. They certainly don't want to be greasy birds!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Shouldn't you avoid letting your bird get wet right after taking a dust bath? Wouldn't a bird get muddy if the dust is still all over it's feathers?

Most Reactions