Disgusted yet Unavoidable.

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
Well, two days ago, i spoke to my dad's doctor. My dad is in the hospital awaiting heart surgery. He's also been having difficulty breathing.

Two of his doctor's flat out told me we need to get rid of the cats if we want him to live. Apparently, his allergy to them, which he has managed for a long time, is causing him to be very sick.

I don't re home pets, unless that was the plan in the first place (like a rescue)
I have a forever home. For my parents, parrots, and cats.

now Misha and Jasper are at a no kill shelter because nobody answered my ad for 2 days and my dad is coming home in a few hours :(

I'm really upset. And i feel terrible.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
So sorry you had to give up your cats. Hopefully they find wonderful homes where their new family is not allergic and can keep them forever.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm so sorry Timothy. Of course most people who have to rehome don't think they will. Unexpectedly being forced to give up your beloved pets (at short notice) is shocking and heartbreaking to say the least.

Best wishes for your dad's continued recovery.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I think that too many of us try to "manage" allergies or other health issues we don't really want to address...my flock includes two birds that a friend was forced to give up...if she wanted to keep on living.....she had to give up all of her 6-8 birds.....she's in health care and had been trying to "manage" her health issues when her doctor had a serious talk with her.....

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I am sorry you had to part with your kitties. I can understand your pain and anguish with having to take them to a "no kill shelter". I had to give up my dog, cat and my Ex took Julio back to the rescue due to our relationship breaking up. There is no way I could afford to take care of all the animals myself and it was very very hard to have to place my animals. Valentino is the only animal I have left. He is my best friend.

I understand your Dad's health has to come first and most people view animals as property. When my asthma and allergies got so bad I was also ordered to "give up" my dog, cat and ALL the birds. Apparently I had to be without pets to get better.

Well I didn't give them up. I got better with weight loss and strengthening my lungs. I still suffer from allergies and my mammals are gone now so it was never them that caused my illnesses.

I also felt horrible with having to place Julianna and Mercedes. I had to be strong to be able to part with them because I knew I could not afford to take care of them and it was not fair to them to put them though my inability to support them. It is taking way too long to get back on my feet and until I have stable work I could not keep them.

If I become homeless I will also have to find a home for Valentino. What a horrible way to treat my best friend who saved my life. What keeps me strong is being able to make the right decision with their welfare in mind and not for my benefit.

Somebody needs to hire me soon or I am in a huge amount of trouble here.

OP
Timothy

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
I just got back from seeing my dad in the hospital and he asked "is it done"? and i said "Yeah" and he burst into tears, Those cats were HIS cats. his best friends.

Misha was 3, and Jasper was less than a year, I found him in a tree as a kitten, he was about 20 ft up in the tree and stuck. id have never known if i didnt hear him crying. He was in bad shape but we got him healthy

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
First let me say all the best to your father for his upcoming surgery. I'll keep him in my prayers.

And Timothy, I'm so sorry to hear that you had to give up your cats. I hope you end up finding a loving home for both of them. As the title of your thread implies, you did what you had to do... but that just doesn't make it any easier, does it?

Perhaps you could post something in the Adoption/Rehoming section? I'm sure there are likely a good number of forum members relatively close to your area. Maybe you can find them a good home that way.

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
Hello Timothy, I feel so bad for you and your beloved cats. I know how hard it must be for you to part with them. I hope your cats get loving new homes.

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
I'm so sorry you had to re-home your cats. xc. It's always hard when you have to do things like that. Your father will remain in my prayers, and I wish you all the best of luck.

I agree that it might help if you put up an adoption thread for your kitties. I'm sure someone can help! I'm stuffed to the roof-tops with mammals, and my husky does not take kindly to strange cats at all. o3o. I have my fingers crossed for you.

I understand about the allergy thing. I'm allergic to all my pets{surprisingly parrots don't bother me as much}, and even if it isn't life threatening, it does stink horribly. I can't even cuddle with my husky for very long before I end up in a sneezing fit.

Most Reactions

Latest posts