Nice Pet for Apartment

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
My son...and his sense of humor. :eek:

He called me a little while ago. He's currently doing a month in the Mojave desert. He told me to check email.

...so I did....

Title:
Hey can you guys let me know if this is a nice pet for an apartment?

And there was a picture attached, so I opened it to find
CHUPACABRA!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

No, of course it's NOT that, it's a Coyote with severe mange.

But I won't lie, I wet my pants at his question, in combination with the photo. :54:

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Great apartment pet!! I once had a pack of them, had to find new homes for them though because the mange spread and my neighbors were losing their hair!:p

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Is that Daryl's Chupacabra? If so, he is probably well trained enough for an apt.:)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
It's perfectly suited for apartment living! His neighbors will love him. Even better when it howls late at night into the wee hours of the morning;)

Bartleby

Apr 13, 2014
Parrots
Blue-fronted Amazon & Blue-throated Macaw
How many of you think a picture like this:
imagejpg1_zps2ddf3d66.jpg.html

would be okay to use as the punchline of a joke? That coyote is suffering to an excruciating degree and poking fun at it just doesn't sit right with me at all.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

would be okay to use as the punchline of a joke? That coyote is suffering to an excruciating degree and poking fun at it just doesn't sit right with me at all.

Oh please! :rolleyes:

There are HUNDREDS of manged Coyotes in the Mojave desert. Of course he's not feeling good, we all know that, it's pretty obvious.

Nothing wrong with a little 'innocent' fun, however, as NOBODY is hurting the animal.

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Oh my goodness! How did he know that that was the first pet I was going to get for my apartment! Lilo can have a room mate! :D Poor thing! Hope he gets helped soon! :) Its probably too much abuse from road runner! All the exploding and head hitting he has been through! ;)

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East

Nature is full of cruelty, ever watch a whale play with a seal before eating it? No one gave the poor thing mange, nature balances, if there weren't disease and starvation to keep populations down what do you think happens then?

With Wendy being a Mod her family is well aware of how often the question is asked if a certain pet is okay for an apartment... redundantly would be an understatement. Lighten up please:rolleyes:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Sadly, nature isn't all peaches and cream. Diseases like mange are endemic in some areas and you can't just pluck up wildlife with natural diseases and 'save them'. Disease is natures way of controlling the population of certain animals. If someone were causing the animal extra harm or distress, I would be adamantly against it. However, people poking fun of a photo online? Somehow I don't think this animals feelings are hurt...

I think my over the top "sympathy" for sad, yet natural things disappeared the first time I had to feed a frightened, quivering baby mouse to my hungry bearded dragon. It is what it is.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
It looks a little like Wile-E Coyote after the Roadrunner had a go at him.

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Wendy, I would love to see the reply you sent to your son. I hope you told him he should adopt at least three to share an apartment with.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Wendy, I would love to see the reply you sent to your son. I hope you told him he should adopt at least three to share an apartment with.

Allee, I was on the phone with him still when I opened that email. So when I read the title, out loud to him "Hey can you guys let me know if this is a nice pet for an apartment", I said.... "You're thinking about a PET"????

"Just have a look at the picture, mom", he replied, with absolutely NO tone in his voice. So when the photo loaded, you can probably imagine MY reaction. :54: I exhaled some R-rated things out loud, we both laughed... we both said at the exact same time "Chupacabra", we laughed even harder just because we said it spontaneously.

He asked me WHAT that was, and I told him I suspected it's a Coyote with a bad case of mange, and sure enough, that's what it is.

He also said the entire convoy that he was in was stopped dead in its track when they saw it. I told him he better make sure and close his tent tightly tonight. :32:

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
ROFL! Your son has a wicked sense of humor. I do hope the chupacabras stay out of his tent.

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
:( I just hate what wild animals have to go through, that's all :(

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
Giggleagain, I do understand, it's heartbreaking to see any being in pain, even the wild ones. I think you might be pleasantly surprised if you knew that most of the people that have posted jokingly on this thread are serious humanitarians that have gone above and beyond to help animals in need. No offense intended.

Most Reactions