Disgusted

OP
EAI

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
That is DISGUSTING, you must report them, that makes me want to cry. I had a store like that and I kept calling the humane society on them, again and again and they finally cleaned up their act. I go in from time to time to see how it is, its better not great but okay. I never buy stuff from their, they will \\NOT get my money.

I should get a gang of people to call the Humane Society through a period of two months reporting them! But I doubt they'd do anything. They'd have to replenish every cage, the poop looks permanent and I'm just imaging all the diseases lurking on them

OP
EAI

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots

I've went back to this shop to go into the room only to be hit with a disgusting smell of food and bird feces. If you thought the parrot's were in a bad cage you should have seen the dozens of pigeons shoved in tiny cages.
I asked about the Cockatiel and I was told its because of molting which is "totally believable". AND TO ADD she said "I didn't even know about that", I was furious, how could you not pay attention to the animals you work with?!. but the poor fella was mostly huddled on the ground. I must have talked to the same girl as Silversage because she seemed clueless and needed the manager's help to answer questions. I also had to control my temper when she told me "I don't know why no one wants him" referring to the African Grey. I could give her four reasons 1) His feathers are in bad condition 2) He puffs when your hand is in the cage 3) He does not like being out of his cage 4) GNATS everywhere.
The scarlet breasted parakeets were lethargic and the females were losing feathers and showed skin patches. There were even more parakeets and at least 10 were on the ground.

I hate saying it, but I am a patron to their store because of the prices and selection of bird toys, food (they carry roudybush), and somewhat decent prices for the cages.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I haven't been in there recently, but they do have good prices on the things that I buy. In this area you basically only get stores that are less than ideal and chain stores which don't usually carry what I want. Amazon is more my friend every day!

OP
EAI

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots

I haven't been in there recently, but they do have good prices on the things that I buy. In this area you basically only get stores that are less than ideal and chain stores which don't usually carry what I want. Amazon is more my friend every day!

"In this area you basically only get stores that are less than ideal and chain stores which don't usually carry what I want."

That perfectly sums up my toy buying experience. I like to support this one Petco but the prices are :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
But this store...they have the perfect size toys and pretty good prices and have horrible pet conditions :/ .

ParadiseHI

Apr 11, 2014
Oh no... I got my bird from this place. Back then, it didn't seem so unclean, but I still go there to get my bird's nails clipped and everything. The guy who raised my bird works there, and he likes to see how his little one is doing. Should I stop going there? :confused:

OP
EAI

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots

Oh no... I got my bird from this place. Back then, it didn't seem so unclean, but I still go there to get my bird's nails clipped and everything. The guy who raised my bird works there, and he likes to see how his little one is doing. Should I stop going there? :confused:

I wouldn't stop you from going there nor am I against anyone for going there but personally I'm not an entire fan. If you like it there you should continue to go. Especially if one of the workers seem to really care about the birds. If I met him first, my opinion would have really changed.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
It is up to you if you keep going there. However if you live on Oahu and need help with your bird's nails or wings I am more than happy to help you out.

ParadiseHI

Apr 11, 2014
Thank you (both of you). I think I'll probably only go there every once in a while. I really hope they clean up their act... SilverSage, thank you so much for the offer. :) If things get out of hand, I'll definitely contact you.

ParadiseHI

Apr 11, 2014
Oh, and EAI, I got your message, but I haven't posted enough yet and can't respond. I don't think I can help you very much though. :(

OP
EAI

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots

Oh, and EAI, I got your message, but I haven't posted enough yet and can't respond. I don't think I can help you very much though. :(

I know that feeling, I had to start commenting on literally every post. But no problem, I take whatever I can get with gratitude ;)!

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
My recommendation is to not walk into that building again. You have no idea what diseases you can walk out with carried on your body, shoes, hair or respiratory system and spread to your babies at home.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I could not in good conscience observe deplorable conditions in a retail store and not report them to local authorities. Not sure who to first approach, but would try the local humane society or ask my avian vet for advice.

Fortunately, I live in an area with many bird stores and have never noticed unhealthy conditions. My preference is to support the private shops, and some have been in business for decades. Of course it is impossible to know what happens behind the scenes, but the reputable stores seem to have employees with great longevity.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Fortunately, I live in an area with many bird stores and have never noticed unhealthy conditions. My preference is to support the private shops, and some have been in business for decades. Of course it is impossible to know what happens behind the scenes, but the reputable stores seem to have employees with great longevity.

I agree... I'm "guessing" you might live in the San Diego area? Sorry if I'm wrong lol, but there are MANY old bird stores in SD. So many within the county, unlike anywhere else I've seen or heard of. I'd love to visit the stores there like I do once every year (cheaper than stores near me) but it's about a 2+ hour drive. The stores do seem to have a good reputation.

OP
EAI

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots

I could not in good conscience observe deplorable conditions in a retail store and not report them to local authorities. Not sure who to first approach, but would try the local humane society or ask my avian vet for advice.

I tried to take the first step by emailing the store asking a few questions and trying to help give a few tips (out of cage time in the back/wiping down cages). The response was to go in to talk to one of the managers, so now I would have to find time to

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

I agree... I'm "guessing" you might live in the San Diego area? Sorry if I'm wrong lol, but there are MANY old bird stores in SD. So many within the county, unlike anywhere else I've seen or heard of. I'd love to visit the stores there like I do once every year (cheaper than stores near me) but it's about a 2+ hour drive. The stores do seem to have a good reputation.

Indeed I do.... Oceanside! Very familiar with Bird Haven and Feathered Friends. My seed/pellet and bulk toy purchases are a bit of a drive to Magnolia Bird Farm in Riverside. There are also some great breeders in the area.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I have reported them and I know others have. We basically get laughed out of town. This is Hawaii, animal care standards here are very low. Paradise, message a mod and let them know you want to pm another member they can pass it along.

Most Reactions