DIY cage suggestions

Fleet

Aug 18, 2015
Hi I'm looking for some information. Thinking about building a aviary, and possibly adopting a bird. We previously had a sever macaw who unfortunately escaped. We would like to eventually adopt another parrot. Possibly a full size macaw. Ive been trying to do some research on cage sizes and building materials. I see on youtube lots of homemade stuff, but I also see that most metals are not good for the birds. So what do people use for the cage. Cages are hard to get and very expensive to get here .

Any suggestions.

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
Stainless Steel is always a pro! If you have the resources you could buy SS rod and weld a cage.

LaurieC

Oct 24, 2014
Zigzag, OR
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot (Maverick),
Cockatiel (Tweak),
Sun Conure (Jack)
Unless you have a welder (preferably TIG) and the skill to weld stainless steel, I would recommend using the anodized aluminum tubing and connectors available from Esto Connectors, EZ-Tube, or 80/20 Inc, in conjunction with welded stainless steel wire. EZ-Tube also offers stainless steel tubing.

Also, go check out Naturalbird.com. They have tutorials and resources for building cages and aviaries for parrots using these materials.

Most Reactions

Latest posts