Do they all waste food?

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Careful though, parrots don't like it when we try to outsmart them. They become obsessed with having the final word on who is the smartest. There have been many times I've tried to trick Skitty (like hanging a sheet to block the hallway so he couldn't fly down) and he just flew onto the floor and climbed under it. Made me feel super stupid. lol

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
I have seen the wife's bird get up under the food bowls and butt them up out of their holders with his punkin head until they crash. Then he yells for more. If I'm home alone, he waits a while. If wife is home, instant refill, repeat as desired.

Feb 17, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Major Mitchell Cockatoos
Bentley & Isabelle

Australian Grass Parrots
Chipper & Pearl
I free feed and I feel awful if I come home and her blow is empty because HE dumped all his food out. I am going to have to try something different like you said. Find the amount he does eat and put less in the bowl
I tried it, Hate to burst your bubble LOL! ...they still throw some out, in a perfect world it world work.:) Like you said it's an inherent nature for them. their the farmers of the earth ! Oh well got to love-m . They forage through things. They don't think like us ... Mom gave me less food so I better not throw it out:(

Last edited:

Most Reactions