Do we have anyone who practices feng shui on here?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
So I'm sure some of you are rolling your eyes. I roll my eyes at things I don't buy into too so ignore this thread if it's not your thing (or comment, that's fine too. everybody got an opinion:p). I just don't like joining new forums/groups I have no intention of staying on/contributing to past a few threads/questions. Figured I'd cast out a line here first and see if we have anyone on here who understands how to apply feng shui on a more in depth level and might be able to help me with a couple questions I have.

There has just been something "off" about this condo since we bought it. We don't have clutter or an inconvenient furniture layout (I feel). We like our decor but I just feel a compulsion to keep rearranging things and some areas just feel so off to me and I can't put my finger on why. It's like when something isn't perfectly centered or crooked, except I feel like the whole condo is off center and off balance, if that makes sense. It's very distracting and irritating ALL THE TIME. Researching a wholly unrelated topic, I stumbled upon some feng shui stuff and while I've heard of it, I've never learned that much about it. I have spent my whole weekend learning more and when I applied the map based on the direction of our unit, some of the areas that just feel "off" do indeed appear to be the wrong elements or colors according to these principals. I'm not superstitious but I do feel I'm a bit sensitive to certain energies (and likely have some mild OCD as well as run on high anxiety), so maybe bad vibes whats been a thorn in my side since we moved in and restructuring some things would help me feel calm and focused once in a while? I'm willing to have an open mind this! I don't want to publicly put out our condo floor plan, but if you're a trusted member here and know a bit and would be willing to take a look at the problem areas, shoot me a PM. Or if you have some general tips/experiences, leave a comment:D

Last edited:

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
I know absoutely nothing :D
But I do wonder, what your attitudes towards moving were? I have vague recollection that it wasnt 100% voluntary - does the house just need some loving? Like - oh golly, now I'm going to sound odd....Do you need to 'forgive' the property for the circumstances in which you found yourself purchasing it?
Haha hmmm...
What is your one favourite colour, that really signifies you? Are you able to find a shelf in one of the trouble spots, and fill it with momentos/trinkets/that colour as a little bit of a 'happy shelf' to help you smile?
I highly reccomend Gretchin Rubin's 'Happier at home' book. She does one called 'The Happiness Project' as well - both are practical, awesome guides without too much airy fairy. Unfortunately I only have them on my e-reader or I'd post them to you!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I do believe there is something in this and I cannot settle if the lines of the furniture are not right ie tried the sofa in front of some french doors, big NO. Arrived at a holiday cottage and the first thing I do is move a piece of furniture without realising it. (Do put it back btw)

When you are relaxing just close your eyes and focus on your problem rooms. Is it blocked light, blocking the energy flow through. Maybe you need some calming colours?

You will get there, just dont fret about it, it will come to you. Hope these help? Let us know how you get on?

https://fengshuiforreallife.com/basics/

https://www.thespruce.com/color-as-expression-feng-shui-elements-1275238

https://www.thespruce.com/signs-of-a-good-feng-shui-house-1274498

https://www.thespruce.com/create-good-feng-shui-in-your-home-1275057

https://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/decorating/feng-shui-house

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I know absoutely nothing :D
But I do wonder, what your attitudes towards moving were? I have vague recollection that it wasnt 100% voluntary - does the house just need some loving? Like - oh golly, now I'm going to sound odd....Do you need to 'forgive' the property for the circumstances in which you found yourself purchasing it?
Haha hmmm...
What is your one favourite colour, that really signifies you? Are you able to find a shelf in one of the trouble spots, and fill it with momentos/trinkets/that colour as a little bit of a 'happy shelf' to help you smile?
I highly reccomend Gretchin Rubin's 'Happier at home' book. She does one called 'The Happiness Project' as well - both are practical, awesome guides without too much airy fairy. Unfortunately I only have them on my e-reader or I'd post them to you!

You remember right, it was a real clusterfudge of a frantic and rushed situation that lead us to buying this place and we really, really did not want a condo (not just this one, any condo) but just couldn't afford a house as first time home buyers.

Thing is, I have really really been trying to make this place feel more like a home and do understand we are very fortunate to have a place to live and to be building equity instead of renters so we can buy a house in the future. I have actually bought some decor especially for this place and done several small home improvement projects trying to make it "better", but it has ended up almost making it worse. I know it's no ones fault (that includes the building's:p) but I just don't feel at home here. I'd say it was just worsening of my long standing anxiety issues, but my husband has noticed the "off-ness" too. He wouldn't say so, but I notice he's not as motivated here and just has lower energy and less focus. Even little Kiwi is always looking leerily at things we can't see in the corners, and I know he can see things we can't (not ghosts, but like energy congestions). The place has bad vibes.

I really don't have a favorite color, I like them all, though I do tend to find myself decorating in blues and greens more often. I think not having that balanced with more warm colors could be a part of the problem. Knick-knacks make me feel panicky, especially a whole bunch clustered in one area, so I'm not sure a shelf of them would be right for me. I am trying to figure out if I could rearrange some art to get colors into a better suited area and maybe improve energy. I will check into those books, thanks!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Try some living energy, plants and flowers while you look for somewhere else? It will probably never change in your minds, will always be a make do and mend home but think to the future, make that your focus/dream. Accept what you have as what it is, a stop gap. There has got to be some positives though ie no gardening? You can spend your free time out visiting parks, museums, churches, fetes, shows etc etc.

Change one or two walls of a room with a contrasting warmer colour maybe?

Have you thought of purchasing uplight standard lamps for those gloomy corners?

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I do believe there is something in this and I cannot settle if the lines of the furniture are not right ie tried the sofa in front of some french doors, big NO. Arrived at a holiday cottage and the first thing I do is move a piece of furniture without realising it. (Do put it back btw)

When you are relaxing just close your eyes and focus on your problem rooms. Is it blocked light, blocking the energy flow through. Maybe you need some calming colours?

You will get there, just dont fret about it, it will come to you. Hope these help? Let us know how you get on?

I think the furniture is (mostly) placed well. It's the overall layout, like living in a Escher painting. I think we actually have too many calming colors and very little energizing colors. I generally do not gravitate towards red or orange in home decor. I also think we could probably do need to banish Mr. Kiwi to his patio cage for a while and do some smudging to try and clear some of the bad energy. I also think some mirrors and crystals might help energy flow better, but I still have a lot to learn before understanding why and where to put them.

Thespruce was actually one of the sites I was reading a bit this weekend! I'll look at the other one too:)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm not a full believer in the practice of feng shui. That said, I find many of the practices of the 'Art' to have a logic to them and by applying this or that approach have merit.

As stated above, the emotions you carry into a home can be reflected back at you. So, that is a worthwhile area to consider. Remember that much like our Amazons, we are not always as open to change and we may outwardly show. It is not uncommon for a new home to take several years before it 'begins' to feel like 'yours.'

It is important too know that you are already in this home, so as you investigate feng shui you need to target those practices that would bring a great comfort to your home! If you get too deep into this practice it could result in you coming to believe that you just cannot live in this home because it likely breaks basic practices of entry, stairway location, window locations, etc... Point being that like any emotion based practice, without oversight you can become convinced that it is the layout of the home and not specific areas.

I have found that in many cases, that home's lack of contact with the great outdoors is a common problem. That means adding a Window or two which is much less expensive than a total redesign of the home or out and out moving.

We recently built a new home, one that was designed to allow us to Age In Place. The vast majority of the home, we love. That said, because of the demands of the On-Site Condo Association there are a couple of areas that are darker than it needs to be, because of not having a window. To this day, I cannot define whether it is the fact that there is not a window or that some idiot stated that we couldn't.

Anyway, place consideration on the placement of furniture based on North, South, East, West layout! Lines of vision is also important as they provide a feeling of openness and that is especially true regarding seeing windows from deep within the home.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I have a kind of green and very much alive energy in my home:green::rolleyes: I do have some nice faux plants but live ones, well I kind of have a brown thumb and kill even the hardiest plants. Hubby doesn't want me painting walls, not that any of them would be at all practical to paint given the outrageous layout here. They are like a warm beige, it's a tolerable neutral color. Wall color has to come through art. Realistically, 3-5 years more until we will be able to even think about starting to look for a house, and thats if Portland doesn't pull a San Fransisco with runaway property prices where we'll never catch up. Most of everything in my life has been to make a positive out of whatever I have then push the rest of those "wants" right on out of my mind... I don't know why I'm struggling so hard with this place. We've lived in far worse, we've moved around a lot, never really impacted me before, which is almost why I think it's the space itself. We have NO lighting issues here either. TONS of natural light. 2 Huge skylights and lots of sunny windows, not to mention pleasant LED natural spectrum bulbs in all our lamps.

Social activities are not my thing (social anxiety, trust issues), religion is not my thing and sadly our local parks and public spaces are increasingly being invaded by aggressive and unpredictable drug addicts, bums, generally dangerous people with nothing to loose and a bunch of Antifa rioters:( That makes it rather unsafe for a woman to be in those places alone and I don't want to be harassed, robbed or worse. I have been reading more lately, as well as continuing my home improvement projects to increase future salability (which I also happen to enjoy), and I have my little green buddy so not all bad things:) I just want to have our home be a peaceful and enjoyable place to live and have not been able to get it to that point yet.

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I'm not a full believer in the practice of feng shui. That said, I find many of the practices of the 'Art' to have a logic to them and by applying this or that approach have merit.

As stated above, the emotions you carry into a home can be reflected back at you. So, that is a worthwhile area to consider. Remember that much like our Amazons, we are not always as open to change and we may outwardly show. It is not uncommon for a new home to take several years before it 'begins' to feel like 'yours.'

It is important too know that you are already in this home, so as you investigate feng shui you need to target those practices that would bring a great comfort to your home! If you get too deep into this practice it could result in you coming to believe that you just cannot live in this home because it likely breaks basic practices of entry, stairway location, window locations, etc... Point being that like any emotion based practice, without oversight you can become convinced that it is the layout of the home and not specific areas.

I have found that in many cases, that home's lack of contact with the great outdoors is a common problem. That means adding a Window or two which is much less expensive than a total redesign of the home or out and out moving.

We recently built a new home, one that was designed to allow us to Age In Place. The vast majority of the home, we love. That said, because of the demands of the On-Site Condo Association there are a couple of areas that are darker than it needs to be, because of not having a window. To this day, I cannot define whether it is the fact that there is not a window or that some idiot stated that we couldn't.

Anyway, place consideration on the placement of furniture based on North, South, East, West layout! Lines of vision is also important as they provide a feeling of openness and that is especially true regarding seeing windows from deep within the home.

Enjoy!

I was wondering what your opinion on this practice would be:) I think I feel about the same, that there is likely some truth to it but that it can also (like anything else in the realms of pseudo-science) can be taken to an extreme. Lots of natural light in the main part of the condo, 2 sunny windows, 2 big skylights. Our bathroom has no window, but does have bright fixtures we put natural spectrum bulbs in, so it's well lit in there too. Our one large traditional bedroom, which we actually use as a multi use room instead of a bedroom, has a problem window. It's a BIG window (72x45"!). We have a SAD sunlamp for thats brighter than the noon sun. If you have a dark place in your home, one of these will be brighten it right up. We keep ours up on the armoire and it's like having a personal sun in there if we want light- https://www.amazon.com/Carex-Health...&qid=1502118384&sr=8-7&keywords=sad+lamp&th=1. We keep the real window closed at all times though (we have a thick insulating Kume curtain covered by traditional decorative curtains on a rod. It faces the parking lot and it took me a while to realize- we don't hear our neighbors or music or noise through the walls, we hear stuff through that stupid window (you can also hear us talking at normal volume outside through it!). And it's a newer double pane window too! That window is just a giant invasion of privacy IMO and I hate it but haven't found a budget friendly solution to the noise issue it causes. The other windows let in a little noise when closed, but not bothersome levels and you'd need binoculars on the opposing roof to see in them.

I did use the traditional bagua that went by compass directions rather than where your front door is. We have a near perfectly east facing front door and west facing back patio. We are almost completely missing our knowledge and wisdom section, save a small bit to the left of the front door where the coat rack is. A lot of areas overlap into different spaces, for example "fame and reputation" starts in the bedroom closet, through the bathroom and into the kitchen (ending at the dining room). I wasn't clear if I should include our patio, but it is covered and physically attached, like a outdoor room, so I did include it. I also had no idea how to apply the map to that floating loft, so I just downsized the map and overlaid over the loft. Wealth+prosperity, fame+reputation and love+relationship are cut in half by the storage area up there I hate (it's not disorderly and has stuff like holiday decor, seasonal bedding etc.. not a junk heap of never used items, but it is unfinished attic space basically and I dislike the whole area). It seems mirrors may be a potential fix to that issue. I think in some areas, just swapping out art to better suit the area may help too. I think you may remember photos of that entry/stairs area and it's obviously not in accordance to good Feng shui. I am struggling though, with online information, how best to remedy that.

I think in time I will figure stuff out, but I'm hoping to do so sooner than later!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Feng Shui is a fascinating if not scientific approach to structure and decor. Whether the principles affect our physical world is IMO the least of concerns. If you make perceived positive changes to your condo, the effect of mind over matter is a powerful affirmation that may enhance enjoyment. That you have ambitions to own a home may minimize the discomfort with unalterable constraints such as the staircase, door placements, etc. Hopefully you're just passing through!

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Be interested to hear what your finished results are? Sad re the dubious people invading and terrorising public open spaces :-(.

You have reminded me I need to get on with junk clearing the loft. :-(

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
It's the overall layout, like living in a Escher painting.

I recall you posted some pics of your condo and I was enthused with the architecture!! Funny you mentioned Escher, would love to live in similar. My previous home was eclectic with a multitude of angles and few if any traditional rooms.

There is something for everyone, you'll find your housing nirvana!

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
It's the overall layout, like living in a Escher painting.

I recall you posted some pics of your condo and I was enthused with the architecture!! Funny you mentioned Escher, would love to live in similar. My previous home was eclectic with a multitude of angles and few if any traditional rooms.

There is something for everyone, you'll find your housing nirvana!

The outside is even more like an Escher painting, if you're a fan. Stairs that go up and down and over and around:p First thing I thought the first time I viewed the property. Interestingly I was also (and still am) drawn to the very open and interesting architecture here. That said, the way everything is so choppy in a small floor plan does make it feel very cluttered, even when logically there is not even close to an excessive amount of objects or furnishings. I'm hoping after reading some about Feng shui, applying some of the principals can help correct energy flow due to the strange architecture if that's what's been setting me off. My biggest issue in understanding though is the unusual layout here. Most online tips and guide apply to fairly traditional spaces. Theres high ceilings, odd shaped rooms, half walls, openings etc... most places just don't have and I'm not clear ATM how to correct it.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Be interested to hear what your finished results are? Sad re the dubious people invading and terrorising public open spaces :-(.

You have reminded me I need to get on with junk clearing the loft. :-(

It's terrible what's happening to publicly owned spaces and local government's seeming unwillingness to do much about it. I definitely don't feel safe going to a lot of public areas like parks or downtown anymore by myself. Lunatics abound these days...

I will update this thread. I think the first thing that is clear to me to do is remove the art with flowing water from the bathroom (where it should be the fame and reputation area, according to the bagua map) and replace with art with the flame element/colors and see how that affects my feeling in that space differently. I'm still thinking of what I can put in the tiny kitchen that is flame color.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Feng Shui is totally cool. Not for the reasons the proponents list...I don't think so much of energy paths on an abstract level. But there are things that make human uncomfortable, and feng shuit is greatly based on those ideas. For example...imagine you have a house at the very end of a dead-end street. FS would say bad location, all the energy is flowing through your house. But think about it...every car driving down the street shines its lights into your house...you hear them coming and some part of your brain has to pay attention to the fact...are they going to stop in time or come through the wall? Are they a burglar?

So, for example, FS says it feels good to have a mountain at your back. Yes, that feel secure. So if you are sitting on a couch, you will feel more secure if there is a wall behind you than if there is an open stairwell. Part of your brain just knows that there is safety there and it can relax. Same as putting the bird's house in a corner. The roots of FS have to do with this, I think: identifying patterns that relax the brain and make it think things are safe vs things that make us alert and watch out for danger. If you look through some of the books, ignore the woo-woo parts and look at the patterns. It's very possible that a rearrangement of furniture and space will make a huge difference in how the place feels.

Don't worry about if it's "real" or not... the ideas are sound, and you will have a good result putting some of them in place.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Regarding Government's seeming unwillingness to do much about it, just not going to go there! Saw this coming years ago, so no surprise! Does not mean that I am not sad for the loss of those places!

Windows! Oh yaaa, even the double and triples will not totally eliminate the transfer of sound. The larger the glass area the greater the transfer of sound. Now, what in fact has an effect the transfer of sound is the overall size of the glass area. Small glass segments has less sound transfer than a larger segment. There are specific sizes that will transfer at an increased level and clearly your larger window is in that group.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Regarding Government's seeming unwillingness to do much about it, just not going to go there! Saw this coming years ago, so no surprise! Does not mean that I am not sad for the loss of those places!

Windows! Oh yaaa, even the double and triples will not totally eliminate the transfer of sound. The larger the glass area the greater the transfer of sound. Now, what in fact has an effect the transfer of sound is the overall size of the glass area. Small glass segments has less sound transfer than a larger segment. There are specific sizes that will transfer at an increased level and clearly your larger window is in that group.

Our next step is to try tacking up a heavy moving blanket over it, which supposedly may muffle some sounds. It's not car noises that bother us so much as talking (or hearing our conversations). The HOA people are real sticklers about everyone having uniform blinds:rolleyes:, so we can't just stick something directly on the window, making it even tougher to figure out how to quiet the window:p I'm also debating adding a small fountain to mask noise with more enjoyable noise.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Our next step is to try tacking up a heavy moving blanket over it, which supposedly may muffle some sounds. It's not car noises that bother us so much as talking (or hearing our conversations). The HOA people are real sticklers about everyone having uniform blinds:rolleyes:, so we can't just stick something directly on the window, making it even tougher to figure out how to quiet the window:p I'm also debating adding a small fountain to mask noise with more enjoyable noise.

Remember that muffling sound with any material, the empty space between the window and in this case a 'heavy moving blank' should be around 3" (75 mm). This especially helps in muffling sound leaving your home. Also, remember that the blank needs to be wider than the window to limit sound coming around it. The neat part about the blanket is that you can add a cloth sheet with a design added - stealing from the castles of old.

Now, there are sound deadening materials used (think automotive) and it is placed direction on the surface to halt the vibration of the surface. But, I am certain that your HOA police would be very unhappy with that solution. :D

I have heard that adding a small fountain to mask noise with more enjoyable noise could result in an increase in the number of visits to the bathroom, but I haven't seen any support documentation. :D

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
The outside is even more like an Escher painting, if you're a fan. Stairs that go up and down and over and around:p First thing I thought the first time I viewed the property. Interestingly I was also (and still am) drawn to the very open and interesting architecture here. That said, the way everything is so choppy in a small floor plan does make it feel very cluttered, even when logically there is not even close to an excessive amount of objects or furnishings. I'm hoping after reading some about Feng shui, applying some of the principals can help correct energy flow due to the strange architecture if that's what's been setting me off. My biggest issue in understanding though is the unusual layout here. Most online tips and guide apply to fairly traditional spaces. Theres high ceilings, odd shaped rooms, half walls, openings etc... most places just don't have and I'm not clear ATM how to correct it.

Since you don't like clutter have you thought about minimalist/zen décor. That's my favorite design style and you can find a lot of ideas on the internet. I don't like a lot of stuff either, so I just have a few well placed art pieces and nothing else. The floors, counters and even most of the walls are bare. It's not a style for everyone, but it makes me feel good.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Since you don't like clutter have you thought about minimalist/zen décor. That's my favorite design style and you can find a lot of ideas on the internet. I don't like a lot of stuff either, so I just have a few well placed art pieces and nothing else. The floors, counters and even most of the walls are bare. It's not a style for everyone, but it makes me feel good.

I have a husband... who would not be agreeable to truly minimalistic decor;). He thinks it's cold and un-home like. I understand his sentiments, he probably feels about a minimalist home like I'd feel in a heavy decor, lots of "sentimental" knick knacks type home- uncomfortable and not at all at home. He doesn't really care what colors or style I decorate with per se, but he wants there to be decor, art, window treatments etc... I try to keep it as minimal as possible while still having some home-y elements too (curtains, a couple throw pillows, some faux candles on the mantle, things like that only kept to a minimum compared to most homes):)

Most Reactions

Latest posts