Do you know the sex?

Do you know the sex of your bird(s)?

• Total voters

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
Just curious how many people on here know if their bird(s) is a male or female for SURE (ie: DNA, has produced eggs, etc).
Don't forget to answer the poll!

Last edited:

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I know the sex of all of our birds but 6 out of 7 of them are dimorphic and Billie was DNA'd by his previous owner.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I am unsure with just one, my macaw! All my other birds I am 100% sure. All the other ones shows characteristic of being a male or a female. Of course my ekkies are easy....When you bred birds before, you kinda know what they do certain stuffs....lol

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
Since I now have two Blue Crowns it is something that I should know so I don't have any surprises. One of them is going to the vet on Monday for a shot and I'm going to have her tested while there. The new one I'm pretty sure is male by behavior though she came to me labeled as female. Rosa will be getting tested when I get her to the vet for her first checkup since I adopted her. Before Rosa joined my flock I only had a passing interest to know for sure what gender Tootsie is but not enough so to get a test done.

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
Maxx was DNA tested when I bought him. The breeder was looking for a female and got all males. :)

cockatielfan17

Nov 20, 2011
i know all my cockatiels sexes except one of my pearl pied cockatiel one sings so i know its a boy the other doesnt so i dont know about that one

YNAMomma

Sep 18, 2011
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Ianto-10yr old M. YN-Amazon,
Toshiko - 10yr old F. YN-Amazon (Mated pair)
I got both my babies already dna sexed with paperwork from the breeder because i bought them as a breedable pair. Well mostly so they would have a mate and if they wanted eggs so be it. =)

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I know the sex of Cory, and he's a female... She doesn't mind me calling her a he, or saying that she's a good boy... I had had him for quite a while, before I got her DNA sexed...

I don't know about Max, but to me he's also a he, and if he turns out to be a she, I'm sure she wouldn't mind being called a 'good boy'..

LOLOL

woubette

Sep 19, 2011
Media
Texas
Parrots
Rio-Pineapple GCC
Kai-Cinnamon GCC
I sent feathers off on Monday to find out the sex of my Greenies.....I THINK that Rio is a boy and I THINK that Kai is a girl....we will see if I am right next week when I get the results in! I'm excited to find out. If they are a male and female, I don't plan on breeding and will remove any eggs that are laid. I want them to stay pets!

Bengara

Oct 18, 2011
Media
Omro, WI
Parrots
Zebra finches, society finches,button quail, green cheek conure, sun conure, quaker parrot, Congo greys, double yellow amazon, orangewing amazons and lovebird
I know half my birds what they are cause I do breed and I do have paper work on DNA and surgical sexing. :blue2::green2::greenyellow:

OP
Mamanda

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
I sent feathers off on Monday to find out the sex of my Greenies.....I THINK that Rio is a boy and I THINK that Kai is a girl....we will see if I am right next week when I get the results in! I'm excited to find out. If they are a male and female, I don't plan on breeding and will remove any eggs that are laid. I want them to stay pets!
Can't wait to hear the news! I got the results FAST. Did you use that Avian BioTech place? They might have the results sooner than next week. Mine had them in less than 24 hours after getting the sample posted as received.

SunMommy

Nov 6, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Pyro, my new baby sun conure
I know the sex of Cory, and he's a female... She doesn't mind me calling her a he, or saying that she's a good boy... I had had him for quite a while, before I got her DNA sexed...

I don't know about Max, but to me he's also a he, and if he turns out to be a she, I'm sure she wouldn't mind being called a 'good boy'..

LOLOL

HILARIOUS!!! This seriously sounds like me. I decided Pyro was a boy before I even saw a picture of him. Of course I dont truly know, but in my mind he'll always be a boy. :) I dont know if I'll ever find out for sure. I dont see myself plucking any feathers from him anytime soon. He's just a baby and I cant do that to him.

OP
Mamanda

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Parrots
I decided Pyro was a boy before I even saw a picture of him. Of course I dont truly know, but in my mind he'll always be a boy. :) I dont know if I'll ever find out for sure. I dont see myself plucking any feathers from him anytime soon. He's just a baby and I cant do that to him.

I'm surprised your breeder didn't do a DNA test to find out before sending Pyro your way.
But, if you get curious, it's a really simple and easy test. Keen really truly didn't seem to mind.

SunMommy

Nov 6, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
I decided Pyro was a boy before I even saw a picture of him. Of course I dont truly know, but in my mind he'll always be a boy. :) I dont know if I'll ever find out for sure. I dont see myself plucking any feathers from him anytime soon. He's just a baby and I cant do that to him.

I'm surprised your breeder didn't do a DNA test to find out before sending Pyro your way.
But, if you get curious, it's a really simple and easy test. Keen really truly didn't seem to mind.

Nope he didnt do one. I asked him about it before getting Pyro and he referred me to a company. I cant remember the name of the company at the moment. I have to look it up in my email. I guess not all breeders do that and if I wanted it done, I should have looked for a breeder that did it. But honestly, my husband put a deposit down on Pyro before I really had a chance to look at a variety of breeders and then it was too late to choose those type of things.

Last edited:

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
Alex was DNAed by his breeder, but everything about him screamed 'boy' that we would have guessed it anyway. He has the flat conure head and stands wide, which is typical of male jendays. His sister has a more curved face and head and doesn't have the same 'stance' if that makes sense. I remember the breeder was taking feathers for DNA from all the chicks currently there (16 total) and guessed the sex of each one but one correctly. It was crazy, but I guess after being around birds that long you pick up on the make and female traits.

samanthabe1

Jan 1, 2011
Arizona
Parrots
Two sun conures Skittles and Buddy.
I dn'd Skittles when I first got her and Buddy was dn'd by his breeder. I had already guessed Skittles was a female though, and Buddy's was a trade so naturally the breeder wanted a male for a male.

Alex was DNAed by his breeder, but everything about him screamed 'boy' that we would have guessed it anyway. He has the flat conure head and stands wide, which is typical of male jendays. His sister has a more curved face and head and doesn't have the same 'stance' if that makes sense. I remember the breeder was taking feathers for DNA from all the chicks currently there (16 total) and guessed the sex of each one but one correctly. It was crazy, but I guess after being around birds that long you pick up on the make and female traits.

I"ve noticed that too. That males tend to have a flatter head than the females.

SunMommy

Nov 6, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Today the vet palpated Pyro's internal organs. She said he feels like e boy. Does anyone know how accurate this method is?

Most Reactions

Latest posts