Do you use seed guards?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I decided not to attach the seed guards to Kiwi's new cage as a "trial", and I have to say, it has been SO much easier to clean! The old cage seemed like the seed guards were more of a poop catcher than anything else. Now all the poop goes onto the 'mat' below so I only have to clean one thing instead of the mat and the guards. I also notice less poop in between the lower cage bars to clean off. I think the poops that hit the seed guards on the old cage slid down and got between the bars causing an even bigger mess than necessary. No banging my legs into them either or having the covers catch them and all of them falling off (a chronic issue in his old cage). I also haven't noticed any more food outside the cage than normal. I always suspected those seed guards just caused more work than necessary, and at least in my case, thats true. Does anyone else not use them? Or does anyone actually find them useful? Just curious, no right or wrong answer:)

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I agree that they just add work and are a shin hazard! My husband thought they helped..he lost that debate since I am the one that cleans for the most part.:p

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I currently have them on Zilla's cage, but have been wondering if they are really doing anything except making more work for me and bruising my shins!

I think I may take them off on the next big deep clean I do and see how I like it without them.

LadySiobhan

Dec 21, 2014
Media
Parrots
Senegal -Honeybird
BH Pionus - Indigo
I do not use mine. I always thought it made more work. I just clean the poop from the floor, and my dogs clean everything else :)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
No, as you've found out, they're generally a waste of time.....

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
None of my cages have them. I've put a shower curtain around the "wall side" so that poo doesn't go on the walls. Roomba takes care of the seed.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Wow. Not a single vote of "useful" or "reduce mess". Why exactly do cage manufacturers make them?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I agree with everyone. It definitely makes more to clean... seed guards are a terrible invention. I thought the only reason I'd injure my legs was that I was a klutz always moving around in a hurry without paying attention, but it looks like it's cumbersome for most everyone else too.

My first parrot cage didn't come with one, and I tried one once or twice before, but removed them because they were just ridiculous. Bad design. Now the last 2 cages I got, I unboxed the cage and put it together leaving out the seed guards and am even debating throwing them in the trash unless anyone can think of another use for the 4 pieces!

Last edited:

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
My hubby makes them from old cardboard boxes, and they are great (and 100% free). We change them about every 4-5 mo.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I didn't mention that I don't have any of the metal seed guards, but I do have a stretchy fabric one that I put around the bottom of the weiros' cage. that does help not so much being flung onto the floor, and it can be washed.

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
I hate them because I constantly run into them and my beautiful legs are full of bruises. I learned this when I had an Amazon and was in my 20's. Now that I am 60 and have parrots again, I haven't even bothered with seed guards. My legs are more important than a few seeds on the carpet.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
It's 50/50 for me. For Shiko's cage, absolutely not. WAAYYY more work than necessary. For Avery, who loves to hang onto the side of her cage and take poops, it saves me from stepping on it all the time. But honestly, if she didn't do that I'd remove them in a heart beat. They take up an annoying amount of space and really are more work than just sweeping/vacuuming/mopping.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I don't use mine. Pain to work around and clean. BUT I have them in case I ever get rid of the cages I can give them to the next person to decide whether they want to use them or not. :D

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
When I got Sassy and Cisco they weren't offered by the previous owners (not sure if Sassy's cage even had them). Peanut's previous owner has them for me but I told her I wouldn't use them anyway so I never got them (yet). I think they are more work and take up way to much space. I'd rather vacuum every day than have to deal with those.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I must be a horrible house keeper (well I already know that I am) I only vacuum once a week. But come to think of it...my birdies keep most of their food inside of their cages. :D

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yes, I absolutely use seed guards for my big macs. They have daily competitions on who chucks out the food the fastest, and the seed guards help quite a bit with keeping the mess a 'little' contained. :54:

Come to think of it, I will try and get rid of Sam's seed guards for a little extra room. Hunter's cage doesn't have them on, but she's pretty mellow and not so messy. I mean, I vacuum every single day, sometimes twice. I have to with 2 large dogs and the fids, otherwise it would be unbearable. :32:

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
I must be a horrible house keeper (well I already know that I am) I only vacuum once a week. But come to think of it...my birdies keep most of their food inside of their cages. :D

I'm sure you are NOT a horrible house keeper!;) When I say I vacuum every day, I mean around the bird cages, not the whole rooms. The rooms get done every 2 to 3 days, and that is because my dogs shed terrible!!! I don't know why they are shedding so much so early this year, but it's driving me nuts!!:32:
If it weren't for the dogs the rooms would get done once a week (except around the cages...):D

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Whew - that makes me feel better.
I noticed my dog is shedding a lot this year as well. I've never really noticed it with her before and she is 8. Fortunately for me she is outside most of the time and is usually only in one room when inside.

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
i also don't use them,besides the fact they just poop on them they don't hold the seed from the ground.
But that may just be because 2 off my crazy gcc's just stand in their food bowl and dig.....

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Honestly, they increase the footprint of the cage, they don't catch much debris (I have to sweep anyway) but they do catch a lot of poop, and they are harder to clean than the mats on the floor are.

I haven't used these in over a decade. I have a pile of them in my garage. Frankly, I don't even know why I save them.

Most Reactions