Do your birds get crazy eyes?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Sometimes Rosie gets this crazy look in her eyes, maybe she see's a peregrine high up in the sky, or she is just feeling freaked out. But it's very strange, and is a very real reminder of why she needs a harness. When she gets like this she will bolt and try to fly off in a straight line.

(her tail is blown sideways by the wind, it's not purposely held like that)
tumblr_msf456IOfX1rs86coo1_1280.jpg

and then she's gone

tumblr_msf4ayqAby1rs86coo1_1280.jpg

Luckily I keep her harness very short when when just walking around, that way she doesn't get caught up in the wind, completely tire herself, and she's within arms reach so I can quickly get my hand under her.

9647751160_f554247863_b.jpg

Because she is flying frantically she is always out of breath after these events, she will also cling to me desperately. My only guess is she see's something that scares her. Normally if she gets the crazy look I hold her close to me, but I wanted to photograph it this time to ask what you think of it. I planned to only photograph her crazy stance/eyes but she flew very suddenly :(

9645113625_0d47e224fd_b.jpg

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Merlin and Charlie do this when they hear something unfamilar from outside or something (such as the bin trucks, or a motorbike or something) so I can relate to it. They don't often fly off unless it's incredibly scary for them though, then they do a frantic fly and then try and get back to me and cling for dear life, like your Rosie is doing.

Charlie hasn't been outside yet, but when Merlin's in his travel cage he doesn't seem to get too spooked, his eyes do pine and then stop all 'crazy' though.

Rosie has it so good being able to go out and you must have a good eye and camera to get those type of shots that arn't 'posed'!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
A few of my tiels will.... typically when they see a cat, they'll pin their eyes before taking off in a frantic flight. If in the cage, they typically fly *OUT* of the cage and do a frantic fly around the room - but a controlled flight in the sense that they don't fly into anything. Charlie has, on occasion, scared the tiels simply by flying to their cage. He made it his mission for a short while to invade their food dishes, even if he has the same exact food.... grass is always greener on the other side! ;)

One time removing him from their cage, he was doing complete eye pin and was all excited like! Of course, he is a "my-turd".... Can't expect anything less... lol He has eye-pinned due to something freaking and then taking off, but not very common.

Jayde eye pins as well, but not in the scared sense. She does it as a part of a display.

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Hahaha MonicaMC! Your Charlie sounds so cheeky.

My Haru and Sepha (keeping the eldest now, so her name is Sepha not the youngest boy anymore) get those eyes when we play sometimes. I'll make excited gasping noises and go "I'm gonna getcha!" "Raaraaraa!" In an excited voice. Hehe then Sepha starts hovering in front of me until I put my hand out, then she lands on it. *proud mummy smile* Haru just runs around on the floor cooing and chasing after little ball toys hehe.

All my birds seem to get that look (especially the Eclectus) when they hear a new loud noise.

Last edited:

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Yes- Jackie would get this CrAzY look in his eyes when he would see something frightening- like a hawk (we have A LOT of red tails that hang around our property) and he would make certain noises that he only made in those situations. He never tried to fly away, but instead cling to me closer and I would always take him back inside quickly.

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Aww that's sad it seems to all be because they are scared(or super excited lol)

I feel like in the first photo she is desperately looking for help and I did nothing :( normally I hold her close. Poor thing! I can only wonder what she saw.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
With Alice her tactic is usually a vertical takeoff without warning, so the first I know is a frantic beat of wings. Often she'll make it about three feet into the air then come down on my chest and cling there with her head buried in my neck like an upset toddler. If she makes an extended break for it she'll find a landing spot somewhere and start craning round for me to come and rescue her, so either way she ends up on my chest looking for comfort!

She will occasionally crouch like Rosie in the first photo with her wings trembling but it's not her immediate fear response, most commonly it seems to be deciding if she really wants to be taken somewhere else or go back to the cage. If she thinks there's danger lurking but not such that it startles her she's most likely to get up onto my shoulder and press herself into the side of my head until she thinks things are back to normal.

Most Reactions