Do your birds like walks/good bonding idea?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Overall I think it's a great idea :)

I have a bird like Birdman said 2 of his are - uncomfortable if taken too far away from their comfort zone. I don't think Kiwi is like that at all? In that case it should be fun for both of you.

In certain situations I'd be weary. For example, for those in an apartment community, or neighborhood where you don't trust others enough it might not be a good idea to show your bird. Also, even if you do feel safe where you are with the people, walking in a neighborhood with lots of houses means dogs protecting their property can run out of the garage or front yard and attack you passing by. For that reason I don't like walking (even without a pet) in a housing track. I've almost been attacked by dogs before as I walked past their property, and knew people who actually have been.

If you live in a more open area without close neighbors like it sounds like you do, it could be a really nice time.

Last edited:

craftEcowgirl

May 14, 2014
Rio loves to go to trader joes or Costco and ride on the cart. I always take a towel or something so she doesn't soil the cart. She has a blast and it give me an opportunity to educate people about parrots. These outings really helped us to bond.

I thought stores didnt allow animals inside? How do you get yours in?

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Rio loves to go to trader joes or Costco and ride on the cart. I always take a towel or something so she doesn't soil the cart. She has a blast and it give me an opportunity to educate people about parrots. These outings really helped us to bond.

I thought stores didnt allow animals inside? How do you get yours in?

I have personally been taking Kiwi around to places that do not sell food in his backpack carrier. When people see him, they go nuts (in a good way). He's clipped, but not always friendly towards strangers who get too close, so it's safer for everyone for him to be in a carrier behind steel mesh. The folks at the hardware store and post office have all fallen in love with him:roll eyes:

Most places that do not sell food allow pets of all kinds nowadays, so long as they are leashed or in some kind of bag/carrier. *Just a personal opinion here* unless it's a REAL service animal (a blind dog, or helps with seizures/blood sugar or whatever), I do not appreciate when people bring their PETS (of any kind) in the grocery store or restaurants. So I try to respect the fact that others probably don't want Kiwi in a grocery store or at a restaurant any more than I care to see fido there. I'm sure some places wouldn't care or I could lie like everyone else and say he's a service animal when he's obviously not, but I don't. When she was still alive, my bearded dragon used to come everywhere with me (she wore a harness), more than Kiwi does even. I still never brought her into places that sold food, but she went everywhere else. Your bird can spend a little time alone, and come around to places where pets are appropriate to have with you:)

Edit: If you do encounter a storer business of any kind that asks you not have your bird, please be respectful. We are all ambassadors for responsible parrot owners.

Last edited:

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Wow, that sounds like a good idea. Would he feel comfy enough in a carrier or stroller for a longer time? I'm thinking about taking my gcc Parry to the walks to park as well. But I would use a harness. :)

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Kiwi's carrier was designed for birds. It's like a backpack with mesh (to see out of) and a perch. I wouldn't make it a permanent home, but he's been enjoying spending an hour or 2 out and about with me pretty much every day now (weather permitting). He likes to go for walks (especially near the pond with ducks, he gets a kick out of taunting them;)), he LOVES car rides and he seems to enjoy the stores, though he's not a big people bird, but I think the enclosed environment makes him feel more secure since people can't touch him.

A harness is a good option for some birds, but Kiwi isn't the harness type. He can come outside unrestrained in the yard because he doesn't fly, but around others, he needs to feel safe and I don't want him to bite some idiot who tries to touch without asking.

Most Reactions