Does Anyone Currently Have A Palm Cockatoo?

OP
G

Goliath

Aug 4, 2016
Michigan
Parrots
Spike- Scarlett Macaw
Pearl- Umbrella 'Too
Goliath- Black Palm
WOW! He literally takes my breath away! Tell me more about him...what is his personality? Noise level? I will drive you crazy with questions, I am so excited to meet someone who has one of these beauties!

He is very unique compared to any other parrot or too that I have ever seen, movement is very methodical almost thoughtful... only time he moves real quick is been he is racing for a pine or macadamia nut that I leave on the floor for him! loves those!

Noise level is almost non existent, only time he screams is when I startle him late at night or in the morning, other than that his call is a shrill warble, comparable to a young childs elevated voice but not a scream at all.

My umbrella screams and it seems like it should break glass, Goliath on the other hand sounds almost like he is attempting to talk but hasn't quite figured it out yet.

Loves to be on the floor as you can see, no issues with any other animals, the dogs and cats leave him be for the most part.

Any questions I can answer I will certainly do so, have several large parrots but he is like a whole different world.... very smart, has already learned what "no" means and implies.... only have to tell him oce or twice and his behavior changes. LOves to play with baby toys, got him one of those little baby keyboards that play music based upon what key you push on it
(can I post a video here?) you would love it

He tries to play it its hilarious!

OP
G

Goliath

Aug 4, 2016
Michigan
Parrots
Spike- Scarlett Macaw
Pearl- Umbrella 'Too
Goliath- Black Palm
Such a beautiful 'too! What's his name?

His name is Goliath, born on Halloween of last year.... so fitting for a black 'too, plus its my favorite holiday lol

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
Tsali - African Grey- I am a one parrot parent. It's a full time job keeping Tsali healthy and happy.
He is stunning! I fell in love the first time I saw one at a bird fair. I did find a breeder in Florida, but alas I didn't have 15K to drop on one. So for now I will will admire Goliath and watch him grow and mature.

OP
G

Goliath

Aug 4, 2016
Michigan
Parrots
Spike- Scarlett Macaw
Pearl- Umbrella 'Too
Goliath- Black Palm
As much I love the addition to the family my other large feathered friend is not a enthusiastic, he is jealous now

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2713.jpg
    IMG_2713.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 361
OP
G

Goliath

Aug 4, 2016
Michigan
Parrots
Spike- Scarlett Macaw
Pearl- Umbrella 'Too
Goliath- Black Palm
He is stunning! I fell in love the first time I saw one at a bird fair. I did find a breeder in Florida, but alas I didn't have 15K to drop on one. So for now I will will admire Goliath and watch him grow and mature.

Thank you for your kind words, just be careful because there are breeders that will sell unweaned babies:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I hope I can help satisfy your curiosity in regards to him:blue:

(Need a black palm emoji, who can I bribe to help get one:01:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you so much for your answers! Makes me want one even more!
You can totally put a video in, Youtube is the best way. Thank you for sharing your baby with us:)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Yes, you can post a video here. Just upload it to YouTube, then click on the Share icon and copy the address that pops up. Then go to your reply window, click on the Link icon (at the top of the reply window, 3rd from the right), paste the address into the field that pops up and post.

(Sorry, Terr. Typing at the same time.)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Wow! Your macaw is stunning too! You mentioned an umbrella as well. How many birds do you have?

Last edited:
OP
G

Goliath

Aug 4, 2016
Michigan
Parrots
Spike- Scarlett Macaw
Pearl- Umbrella 'Too
Goliath- Black Palm
Ok I will make sure I get a good video tonight and put it up here, he is incredible and I would encourage anyone that is considering a palm, the mannerism and personality is awesome!

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
My list of "I want" birds is getting longer and longer, and MrC is rolling his eyes at me now.

He is right, of course. We have a flock of high-needs birds, particularly the disabled macaw who has major anxiety/plucking issues and is still learning social skills in her new home. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't jump at the chance to get one of these babies if the opportunity presented itself!

OP
G

Goliath

Aug 4, 2016
Michigan
Parrots
Spike- Scarlett Macaw
Pearl- Umbrella 'Too
Goliath- Black Palm
Wow! Your macaw is stunning too! You mentioned an umbrella as well. How many birds do you have?

Thanks, I am particularly proud of Spike( no I didn't name him, just didn't have the heart to change it) , I rescued him from a woman several years ago that had been given him by her handicapped son. Spike had been locked in a basement with one crappy light and a four pack a day smoker for almost 3 years. She was trying to sell him on craigslist and I had always wanted a scarlet to replace my other one Ruby.

I have three total, seems to be my magic number 3 birds 3 dogs 3 cats... oh an 1 aldabra tortoise lol:01:

OP
G

Goliath

Aug 4, 2016
Michigan
Parrots
Spike- Scarlett Macaw
Pearl- Umbrella 'Too
Goliath- Black Palm
My list of "I want" birds is getting longer and longer, and MrC is rolling his eyes at me now.

He is right, of course. We have a flock of high-needs birds, particularly the disabled macaw who has major anxiety/plucking issues and is still learning social skills in her new home. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't jump at the chance to get one of these babies if the opportunity presented itself!

That list never ends! that's why I finally took the leap and got Goliath, he is literally the dream bird for me! But if you ever get the chance DO IT!

Jeans

Jul 14, 2016
Oh my goodness. He is beautiful! I also have a list of dream birds and I hate not having the space and money to own any more than what I have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I just spotted this thread!
Gorgeous bird.
I knew a Palm Cockatoo back in New Mexico. The owner believed it to be 20-30 years old. It was an affirmed male, and as if to attest, he did that drumming behavior with wooden dowels or sometimes, with sticks he would "shape" out of other articles! His name was Darth (Vader). I recall that he was particularly messy with his food... love to throw it and smash (drum?) veggies and fruits against bars or bowls or other things. He was a very private bird, not outgoing, but not unfriendly or aggressive. I think I'll see if I can contact that bird's person... he would have a lot to share, as Palms were his passion. If I find him, and if he agrees, I'll message you with his contact info.

OP
G

Goliath

Aug 4, 2016
Michigan
Parrots
Spike- Scarlett Macaw
Pearl- Umbrella 'Too
Goliath- Black Palm
I just spotted this thread!
Gorgeous bird.
I knew a Palm Cockatoo back in New Mexico. The owner believed it to be 20-30 years old. It was an affirmed male, and as if to attest, he did that drumming behavior with wooden dowels or sometimes, with sticks he would "shape" out of other articles! His name was Darth (Vader). I recall that he was particularly messy with his food... love to throw it and smash (drum?) veggies and fruits against bars or bowls or other things. He was a very private bird, not outgoing, but not unfriendly or aggressive. I think I'll see if I can contact that bird's person... he would have a lot to share, as Palms were his passion. If I find him, and if he agrees, I'll message you with his contact info.

Goliath I had DNA tested twice and a confirmed male as well, he does this thumping and stomps his feet when he wants attention, I get visions of a terrible two year old but it's actually really cute! I would certainly appreciate that if you can get ahold of him

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
I could be wrong, but I believe the whole "drumming" thing is an instinctual behavior for Palms.... I can't remember if it's more flock or mating related, but I know they would drum on their empty hollowed out trees with sticks or whatever they had.

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udYdg27oC-w"]NATURE | Parrots in the Land of Oz | Drumming up love | PBS - YouTube[/ame]

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'll do my best to find him.
Darth was a comical menace with his dowels and carrots and sticks. Most of his extreme antics were viewed on videos... he was usually so reserved when strangers (i.e., not his immediate family unit). I hadn't thought of him in ages. Hopefully they're still all well and together.

Most Reactions

Latest posts