Does anyone know anything about "Fancy" green-cheeked conures

Status
Not open for further replies.

babygirlgracie

Nov 15, 2010
York, PA
Parrots
I am the proud mommy of a female Pineapple Turquoise Green Cheek Conure Gracie, a Senegal named Willow, a Sun Conure named Oakley, and a pair of American Budgies named Jasper and Pixie
Yeah, It's called a Pet store chain not "smart" enough to know their color mutations so instead they label them all as "fancy Green Cheeks"
They are usually anything from Pineapple green cheeks to cinnamon green cheeks and sometimes even normals. I've tried to educate my local store but their response was "that is how they come in from corp."
Yep, as you can tell it drives me bonkers. Nothing like a store specializing in pets, selling them to the uneducated public and they are totally uneducated themselves.
LOL!!! Hi everyone, I'm new on here.:orange:

Sarah Hirsch

Jun 8, 2011
I think I was at the same un-named store and saw what they were calling a "fancy green cheeked conure." I used to raise green cheeked conures, and I own two of them currently. This bird was NOT a green cheeked conure. It looked like a dusky conure, and since it was on the quieter side, it was likely so. I told the people at the register, and they said, "Well, the system said that was what it was." They also told me that they get fish in all the time that are clearly NOT what they are labeled. Oh well...

Garnet

May 27, 2011
Media
Silver Springs, Florida
Parrots
5 Green Cheek Conures; 1 Blackcapped Conure; 2 Sun Conures; 3 Cockatiel; 1 Quaker; 1 Whitecapped Pionus; 2 Peach Fronted Conures; 1 parakeet
I've seen pet stores advertise "fancy" conures that were in reality either a yellowsided, cinnamon or pineapple. Take a picture and post it, then we can tell you the mutation. There is no such thing as a "fancy" conure. I've seen cockatiels advertised this way as well. Just trying to get more money I guess.

vedwed

Feb 8, 2011
Media
CA
Parrots
Oliver-Red Crowned Amazon, Sky-GCC, Ruthie-Sun Conure
The unnamed store must either be petco, or petsmart, they label anything fancy if it has other markings besides the normal GCC.
Pineapples, and other lighter colorings are labeled as "fancy", and yes its just so they can make more money

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions