Dogs and Parrot Cages

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
At this point in my house we still have more of a "what dog, you think YOU get to have the people food?? And attention?? AHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!" Dynamic between Flick and Ranger (Ranger is the dog), and a "Oh, cool thing to land on!" dynamic with Scout and Blue. The other birds just tend to stay away from him, and I doubt we will ever have a cat. I like cats, but with as many small birds as I have and as little as I truly understand cat psychology, I think I will stick to the dog.

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
OK, so let's say there's this dog, and let's say this ice cream cone is the bird....
I'm just say'n :eek:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHvExOg4NI0"]Cooper Loves Ice Cream - YouTube[/ame]

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Five years ago, the person who cut the yard uncovered a rabbit nest...he had been sick and the yard was in sad need.....at the time I was working out of the country some 10 months out of the year. My neighbor had kept the front yard presentable, but the back needed a large rider to finally get it down and that's where the four bunnies were found, not too far from leaving their nest, though they didn't yet have their eyes open. My neighbor's wife & grandchildren adopted the bunnies and had borrowed one of my extra cages, not a wire cage, but one suitable for cags, 'zons or mini macaws, to put them in as there were 2 springer spaniels and a Jack Russel terrier.....

They put the cage & bunnies on their closed-in back porch...and...closed the metal child gate that was already installed in the entry doorway and went out to dinner...they came home to the metal child gate bent & ruined, the non-wire bird cage on its side and 4 missing bunnies.....apparently their dogs had gone out to dinner too...out to their enclosed back porch.....although the cage's door latches were sufficient for the doors, having the cage knocked over changes the security equation.....instead of just latching a metal child gate, they should have closed the door to the porch instead.....like the other posters have mentioned, if you or other person is not available to protect your feathered friends or other animals, DO NOT ASSUME that your dogs will follow what they may have been taught....they are going to do what instinct tells them to do.....

Most Reactions