Dont look at me like that!!

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Smeagol is growing up way too quickly..

Tonight i was just cleaning my room... Someone was waiting to come out for play time...

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
He or she is just too cute, what an adorable face:):):)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh Sméagol, I want to come and take your cute little butt home with me. :D

You've done one tremendous job with him, Tab!!!! WHAT a cutie!! And WHAT a love he is!!!!

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
HAHAHAHAHA

Yes, and then these 2 act like i have kept Smeagol in prison and they haven't seen each other for months -_-

Oh Fargo... How i miss your soft feathers on my paws...

These bars may keep us separated but i am in your heart forever!

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
OMG! Can he be any cuter??!!

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hahaha he is SOOOO soft..

I was looking through his baby pictures last night, made me sad.. Now i know how mothers feel when their children grow up ;)

Remember when Smeagol was this tiny..

and this morning:

When he stands up on his 2 feet, he kind of reminds me of Gizmo the gremlin? HAHA :eek:

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
He looks great! It would be a utter shame for you to box him up and send him here to me! :D

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
What's he eating now, Tab? How old must he be before he's released, or does he have to be able to feed independently? And how do you teach him to forage in the wild? He'll have a marvellous start in life: he looks so big and healthy! :)

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
He is only on one milk drink a day! I am not entirely sure if hes meant to be on more or less.. Will call the wildlife person this week..

But he drinks all his milk out of a bowl, no more bottle!

Then in the afternoon he gets some apple.. Then at about 6pm i redo his cage with fresh leaves, then his bowl of water which he drinks !

Then he gets a big bowl of fruit and veges..

You know how bird owners have a tough time getting their birds to eat healthy?

POSSUMS ARE SOOOOO EASY!!! HAHAHAHA

He loves food.. He gets apple, mango, pineapple, carrot, pumpkin, sweet potato, peas and corn ! Oh and banana, he looovesssss banana!

All fresh, uncooked, he just grabs the piece and eats it all up!!

Here he was last night, sitting eating something..

He reminds me of this old hunchback lady-

Ohhhh deary.. eh eh eh.. Why dont you try a piece of my apple sweetie? >:] eh ehhh

From what i figured out, he was born in April...

They are weaned at 9 months.. So in december he should be ready for release..

In november he will go out in the big cage outside, i will put it outside my door on the verandah, with lots of leaves and branches..

And then December it will go out into a tree.. Still getting fresh food from me, and then you open the door, and he will come back each day, but venture out at night time when he is brave.. Then one day he wont come back and eats all the trees around here!

I am having problems getting him to eat leaves though.. He loves fruit and veges, but he doesnt seem interested in the leaves i put in :( Will get some plumbago flowers... Possums LOVE them haha

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
What are the chances he decides to stay with you? I know we had a issue around here with a hand raised fox who wanted to be a lap dog even thou the rescues did everything right.

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh gosh really! A fox! hahaha

Well i have had 6 possums before Smeagol.. They have all released into the wild fine! :)

Just go into the cage in the trees and one day they just never come back! I guess they are wild animals, so dont feel the need to stay with people...

At the moment Smeagol is at the age, if he was in the wild, he would stay on his mothers back all day long! So thats why hes still super attached and bonded to me, cause im his mum, so wants to be with me!

When hes older, he will still like me, but will be more independent, so will venture out and start his own little family ;)

Once the possums leave for good, i never saw them again..

Until this little guy came back... His name was Nylf...

Saw this huge thing trying to squeeze into a tiny pouch in the cage... And there had returned a massive possum hahahaha Gotta love weird looking 12 year old Tab ;)

But it should be fine! :)

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Nawwwwwwww cuteness overload!! I would get too attached, I wouldn't be able to let them go lol!

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
HAHAHAHA SO!! I was talking to the wildlife carer this morning, and was telling her about Smeagol...

Said he now weighed 650 grams...

She said REALLY?!?! THATS INCREDIBLE.. HE IS A BIG BOY!!!! :eek:

Apparently he is too fat ;) HAHAHA

She said she cant believe how well he is growing :D

and i said well he does LOVE his veges and fruit! :)

And!!! Apparently he is still meant to be on lots of milk :eek: I thought he should almost be off with him being so big!

But she said nope, still getting milk! :D

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
Now, why can't American possums look like that? He's so stinkin' cute!

Is that your daughter holding Smeagol? Pretty girl.

BTW, my son just flew into Perth last night and will be playing for the Perth Heat this season. He was in Adelaide last year, and absolutely LOVES Australia.

Last edited:
OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
HAHAHAHAHA thats me! About 6-7 years ago! ;)

Oh really? Whats perth heat? Is that basketball or something? :eek:

The little rascal was a pain last night.. he was full on jumping from gym to gym, sprinting across fargos cage, running down the tree, jumping off...

At one point i heard a big THUMP :eek:

I thought it was a toy or branch he knocked off until i looked on the floor and saw him running along trying to get back up the tree :p

They are incredible climbers.. he just can run straight up the vertical branch.. Its pretty cool to watch! and their tail strength! Wow

and so at 12 i put him away, he woke Fargo up when he tried to run over to where Fargo was sleeping..

At 5am i was woken up by a possum running along the tree gym again.... HE HAS LEARNT TO ESCAPE FROM HIS CAGE -_-

Most Reactions

Latest posts