Dumb things people ask when you have your bird in public?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
"Is it for sale?"

I had a guy literally stop his car in the middle of the street just to ask me that.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I forgot about that one:

Are you selling it?
How much did you pay for it?
Seriously, how much would you sell it for?

Years ago, I had some guy (from another country) whose son took a liking to Maggie when I had her out, and he wanted to buy her from me. Followed me around for five minutes, bidding on her... (Normally if you tell someone you're not selling the bird, they stop. This guy didn't. He thought I was "playing hardball.")

I was just like, what part of "not for sale at any price didn't you understand?!" I can give you the name of a good breeder if you'd like...

Last edited by a moderator:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
and then (THE PART I HATE THE MOST) I have to talk everyone out of going to buy one for themselves on impulse.

Every.single.time. Ugh.

Yep. That is a point of emphasis.

She's out with me, cuz she wants to be with me, and doesn't tolerate staying home, or staying caged... this is a human toddler with feathers, they are that much work.

Here's a stupid question for you. You like cleaning bird poop?! Sweeping, vacuuming and scrubbing floors? Cuz you get one of these, you're going to be doing a lot of that from now on...

"THEY DON'T COME THIS WAY. SHE'S LIKE THIS BECAUSE I SPENT A LOT OF TIME TRAINING HER, AND I DO STUFF LIKE THIS WITH HER."

Last edited:

deque

Aug 7, 2014
Miami, Florida
Parrots
Bala- B&G, Capri- Greenwing, Cata- Catalina, Ruby- Military, Abbey- B&G
My favorite is. "I think birds should be free".

My answer...wait for it... does it look like she wants to be somewhere else to you?

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016

My answer...wait for it... does it look like she wants to be somewhere else to you?

Love this answer!

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
and then (THE PART I HATE THE MOST) I have to talk everyone out of going to buy one for themselves on impulse.

Every.single.time. Ugh.

Yep. That is a point of emphasis.

She's out with me, cuz she wants to be with me, and doesn't tolerate staying home, or staying caged... this is a human toddler with feathers, they are that much work.

Here's a stupid question for you. You like cleaning bird poop?! Sweeping, vacuuming and scrubbing floors? Cuz you get one of these, you're going to be doing a lot of that from now on...

"THEY DON'T COME THIS WAY. SHE'S LIKE THIS BECAUSE I SPENT A LOT OF TIME TRAINING HER, AND I DO STUFF LIKE THIS WITH HER."
Yea it really bothers me that people think they can just go to petco and buy a Pumpkin. Like - NO SERIOUSLY I do not want to be the reason that you get a bird on impulse and then mistreat it because it isn't what you expected after spending all of 30 seconds watching a well socialized bird that has a lot of love and training put into it. I researched and prepared for months for this bird. PLEASE DO NOT go buy one just because you think he is cute...

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'

That's one of my favorites! (NOT). You have a good response though. Because clearly the bird sitting happy on your shoulder is just *so* miserable. I've gotten that a few times too, especially down at the lake where Kiwi likes to watch the geese (and baby geese). Everybody thinks they're an animal rights activist down there. You know, because the person with the bird who's out seeing the world (who any common idiot can see is totally content) is just *so* abusive. Mind you, he is usually sitting with his backpack open, sometimes out on the table enjoying a snack (that I brought) or sitting on top of his backpack happily puffing/preening.

"That's CRUEL, birds don't belong in a cage, that thing should be FREE" (in sneering voice). I see you have a dog, on a leash, in a tutu (not looking too happy about that tutu)... "But that's DIFFERENT" (now in sneering/offended voice):rolleyes:

Sometimes I'd like to explain to them how quickly he would DIE if released to nature and how long he will LIVE (happily) with me. But I don't think mental midgets have the capacity to comprehend logic.
58074255.jpg

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sometimes I'd like to explain to them how quickly he would DIE if released to nature and how long he will LIVE (happily) with me. But I don't think mental midgets have the capacity to comprehend logic.
58074255.jpg

That falls under the heading NEVER TRY TO TEACH A PIG TO SING... IT WASTES YOUR TIME, AND ANNOYS THE PIG.

Their mind is made up, don't confuse them with the truth. Of course, you're gonna say that, you're a horrible person, trying to justify something unconscionable...

In fact, you're the reason the rain forests are dying!

Come to think of it, I hate you too! :p

:D Why bother?!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yea it really bothers me that people think they can just go to petco and buy a Pumpkin. Like - NO SERIOUSLY I do not want to be the reason that you get a bird on impulse and then mistreat it because it isn't what you expected after spending all of 30 seconds watching a well socialized bird that has a lot of love and training put into it. I researched and prepared for months for this bird. PLEASE DO NOT go buy one just because you think he is cute...

I also emphasize the point with Maggie, that SHE WAS A RESCUE... and that what happened to her is what happens when you get a large macaw WITHOUT knowing how to train one first.

And of course, I carry that block of wood with me, that she bit in half to emphasize my point. If you don't train her not to, that could be your arm.

EDU-MAC-ATION...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Let me scan the bar code for you...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

My answer to that one is if I set this bird down in a tree, she generally flies back to me within five minutes...

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
Great thread! Love the stupid questions and all your great responses! The one time I had Baxter out (at a flea market in Maine), I only had one person ask about him. She simply said, "tell me about your friend".

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Great thread, April!
Stupidest question came to me in just a conversation about my birds that my daughter had with someone she knows. Once the woman found out I have so many, she asked if she could come over to my house and pick out one. Britty asked pick one out for what? And she said so I could give "it" to her, that she always wanted a bird and it wasn't fair I have so many, and wouldn't miss one.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Great thread, April!
Stupidest question came to me in just a conversation about my birds that my daughter had with someone she knows. Once the woman found out I have so many, she asked if she could come over to my house and pick out one. Britty asked pick one out for what? And she said so I could give "it" to her, that she always wanted a bird and it wasn't fair I have so many, and wouldn't miss one.

Your kidding right:eek: That's like asking one of those people with 20 kids if they wouldn't mind giving one away because they have so many. These are living beings with unique personalities, not knick knacks! Unreal:mad:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
April, that's exactly what I said! Needless to say, I never extended an invite to that woman.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Great thread, April!

Okay.

That is a majorly giant leap in logic... and just a tad (how can we put this?) presumptuous of her... [just a tiny bit.]

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Great thread! Love the stupid questions and all your great responses! The one time I had Baxter out (at a flea market in Maine), I only had one person ask about him. She simply said, "tell me about your friend".

Your lucky! That's just someone curious about the tropical bird you have with you:) I do get a lot of (normal, reasonable) questions about Kiwi, like what kind of parrot he is, how old he is, does he like being out ext... I don't mind those kind of questions personally. I get even more questions about his backpack though lol.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Great thread, April!

Okay.

That is a majorly giant leap in logic... and just a tad (how can we put this?) presumptuous of her... [just a tiny bit.]

Just a tad bit presumptious...so much more polite than what went through my head!

Most Reactions

Latest posts