DYH theory about talking

weko

Sep 1, 2012
hey there ,, ive heard that the DYH amazon parrot forgets everything he learned before he turns 5 years old and less smart than the african grey , also that its an aggressive parrot after being tamed , is it true ? i am concerned about my DYH pair ,

one more thing i am living in a flat , is it ok if i got a B&G macaw ?

is it easier to deal with a macaw or an amazon >?

thanks

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey Weko, welcome to the forum. No amazons don't forget much of anything!!!! I'm not sure how you measure intelligence , I've never owned CAGs but have TAGs , Zons are pretty smart. I have lots of amazon that are not aggressive, opinionated ? yes, hardheaded ? yes, loving ,loyal sweet ? yes . They each have their own personality that is largely guided by their life experiences. Being as intelligent , sophisticated as they are, yes behavioral problems can occur. This is due more toward poor care or neglect from uninformed /uncaring owners.

How long have you had your" pair"? Not long i would assume. A bonded pair of amazons is not a good choice of "pets". What makes them good pets is their tenancy to bond to a human ,much like they bond for life to their mate. two zons bonded to each other don't really "need " you in their life. Yes you can have a good relationship with them ,but your going to be "on the outside looking in". Your always going to be the 3rd wheel. That same bonded pair will view another bird as a outsider, similar to you. i would not add a BG to the mix. In fact slow down and learn about what you have before adding any more . Knowing your birds will allow you to make better decisions about adding other birds to your apartment . A bonded pair of zons is a lot quieter than a lonely macaw when your gone to work.

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
Ever last not of what you just said rich is spot on the amazon is know for its sweetness and loyalty towards its bonded person aswell as its beautiful musty smell and its moods the amazon is extremely intelagent and chances are it won't forget anything its been tought unless untrained for a very long period of time yes its true these birds can be aggressive when the hormones kick in with the males being the worst although some not all but some amazons go through the maturity period with very little or no aggression at all the 3 amazons said to be the worst when going through this stage is the yellow napes, double yellows and the blue front these 3 have been giving the name the hot 3 and as Richard said if you have a pair that are bonded to one another chances of them bonding with you are very slim although there is a chance they could bond with you the chances are not great.

OP
W

weko

Sep 1, 2012
Hey Weko, welcome to the forum. No amazons don't forget much of anything!!!! I'm not sure how you measure intelligence , I've never owned CAGs but have TAGs , Zons are pretty smart. I have lots of amazon that are not aggressive, opinionated ? yes, hardheaded ? yes, loving ,loyal sweet ? yes . They each have their own personality that is largely guided by their life experiences. Being as intelligent , sophisticated as they are, yes behavioral problems can occur. This is due more toward poor care or neglect from uninformed /uncaring owners.

How long have you had your" pair"? Not long i would assume. A bonded pair of amazons is not a good choice of "pets". What makes them good pets is their tenancy to bond to a human ,much like they bond for life to their mate. two zons bonded to each other don't really "need " you in their life. Yes you can have a good relationship with them ,but your going to be "on the outside looking in". Your always going to be the 3rd wheel. That same bonded pair will view another bird as a outsider, similar to you. i would not add a BG to the mix. In fact slow down and learn about what you have before adding any more . Knowing your birds will allow you to make better decisions about adding other birds to your apartment . A bonded pair of zons is a lot quieter than a lonely macaw when your gone to work.

female is 14 months old i had her a year a go and a male 4 months old i got him 2 days ago ,

i like my female but she is messy and never stops in one place plus she dont like to much cuddle and thats strange for me !!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
It doesn't sound as if they are a "pair" yet. Do you plan on them becoming a pair, is that you goal ? Is breeding a goal? If i wanted a pet i wouldn't intro a new bird to so young a hen. I know zero about your hen but ,most of mine (that are bonded to me) would kill another zon, in my presence. Your immature hen might not ,but she might.Introducing amazons is a game of roulette under best conditions. Your "pair" has several strikes against them already. But they are very young.

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
hey there ,, ive heard that the DYH amazon parrot forgets everything he learned before he turns 5 years old and less smart than the african grey , also that its an aggressive parrot after being tamed , is it true ? i am concerned about my DYH pair ,

thanks

Amazons rarely forget how to say something. Although if they don't hear it for a long time, they might stop using a certain word until they hear it again. Or they might randomly say it after several years of not.

Amazons are different kind of intelligence that greys. Greys are more analytical and in that way I think they are more intelligent. I wouldn't think less of an amazon because they aren't as intelligent as greys though. They are still smart birds and in some ways they are much easier to keep happy because their emotional needs are a little simpler.

Amazons can be one of the more aggressive species. And yes, a pair of amazons if male and female and bonded, or even if same sex and bonded can get seriously nasty to people. As single pets, they are a different sort of bird than other species although not necessarily more likely to do bodily damage than say a macaw or grey. You learn body language, you learn your bird's personality and what sets them off and you respect them. That keeps you from getting bit by almost every species. I've had some nasty bites from amazons but none that needed medical attention. My macaw once broke my finger. So even though my macaw is generally a very sweet bird and the amazons a little more moody, I can't really say one is better than the other. Just different.

Macaws are generally a poor choice for flat/apartment living. Unless you live in a very modern building with very thick walls, most macaws and quite a few amazons have potential to get you into trouble with your neighbors. There is no mistaking a macaw noise as coming from a bird. A lot of amazons sounds, though very loud can sound like children at play or a TV turned up loud. I guess it depends on what your neighbors are like. Personally, there is no way I could have my macaw in an appartment. Even a very well built, thick walled apartment.

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
weko;187474i like my female but she is messy and never stops in one place plus she dont like to much cuddle and thats strange for me !![/QUOTE said:
A lot of amazons don't like to cuddle. Some do, but most like to have their face scratched on their terms and that is about it. Some birds will cuddle wrestle, but you have to learn your bird and be careful not to get them overly stimulated lest they stop cuddling and go right to biting.

I would make sure your two amazons are in separate cages and not allowed to spend much time together preening and being friends. If they bond, they won't want much to do with you. For this you will need separate play gyms, potentially separate out of cage time if one keeps flying over to see the other. A bonded pair of amazons can boarder on dangerous once they reach maturity. As babies its nice to see them snuggled up being friends and enjoying each other. But bad things are likely to happen later on if that kind of relationship gets started. Best to just not let them start that kind of relationship. In order to be good pets, they need to bond with you, not each other. I can't say it enough, they need separate cages, no routine physical contact with each other. You will regret it later if you let them be friends now. More than likely in about 5-8 years, you'll get a really nasty bite from one and decide they both have to be sold to a breeder if you let them bond now.

OP
W

weko

Sep 1, 2012
It doesn't sound as if they are a "pair" yet. Do you plan on them becoming a pair, is that you goal ? Is breeding a goal? If i wanted a pet i wouldn't intro a new bird to so young a hen. I know zero about your hen but ,most of mine (that are bonded to me) would kill another zon, in my presence. Your immature hen might not ,but she might.Introducing amazons is a game of roulette under best conditions. Your "pair" has several strikes against them already. But they are very young.

thats why i am planning to introduce the male now cuz both wont be yet mature ,, i am also planning to put each in a cage in the beginning till they get used to each other ,, i want them to bound with me in the same time to like each other when they become mature i want them to bound with each other and still trust and like me ,, my goal is breeding and petting them ! honestly i want both :) i am paying alot of money for it and i really woud like one day to recover a bit of what i payed buy the breeding thing :)

OP
W

weko

Sep 1, 2012

thanks

Amazons rarely forget how to say something. Although if they don't hear it for a long time, they might stop using a certain word until they hear it again. Or they might randomly say it after several years of not.

Amazons are different kind of intelligence that greys. Greys are more analytical and in that way I think they are more intelligent. I wouldn't think less of an amazon because they aren't as intelligent as greys though. They are still smart birds and in some ways they are much easier to keep happy because their emotional needs are a little simpler.

Amazons can be one of the more aggressive species. And yes, a pair of amazons if male and female and bonded, or even if same sex and bonded can get seriously nasty to people. As single pets, they are a different sort of bird than other species although not necessarily more likely to do bodily damage than say a macaw or grey. You learn body language, you learn your bird's personality and what sets them off and you respect them. That keeps you from getting bit by almost every species. I've had some nasty bites from amazons but none that needed medical attention. My macaw once broke my finger. So even though my macaw is generally a very sweet bird and the amazons a little more moody, I can't really say one is better than the other. Just different.

Macaws are generally a poor choice for flat/apartment living. Unless you live in a very modern building with very thick walls, most macaws and quite a few amazons have potential to get you into trouble with your neighbors. There is no mistaking a macaw noise as coming from a bird. A lot of amazons sounds, though very loud can sound like children at play or a TV turned up loud. I guess it depends on what your neighbors are like. Personally, there is no way I could have my macaw in an appartment. Even a very well built, thick walled apartment.

what was the reason for ur macaw to break ur finger ?

well my neighbors are sweet and they arent my concerns i am concerned about that its a small flat i already installed a big cage for the amazon and now i dont have place for another big cage , my whole house will look like a bird room and i really dont want that to happen , he wont be able to fly or stretch his wings in the flat unless he will hit something yet i am in love with macaws and i really really want one
donno what to do :)

OP
W

weko

Sep 1, 2012
weko;187474i like my female but she is messy and never stops in one place plus she dont like to much cuddle and thats strange for me !![/quote said:
A lot of amazons don't like to cuddle. Some do, but most like to have their face scratched on their terms and that is about it. Some birds will cuddle wrestle, but you have to learn your bird and be careful not to get them overly stimulated lest they stop cuddling and go right to biting.

I would make sure your two amazons are in separate cages and not allowed to spend much time together preening and being friends. If they bond, they won't want much to do with you. For this you will need separate play gyms, potentially separate out of cage time if one keeps flying over to see the other. A bonded pair of amazons can boarder on dangerous once they reach maturity. As babies its nice to see them snuggled up being friends and enjoying each other. But bad things are likely to happen later on if that kind of relationship gets started. Best to just not let them start that kind of relationship. In order to be good pets, they need to bond with you, not each other. I can't say it enough, they need separate cages, no routine physical contact with each other. You will regret it later if you let them be friends now. More than likely in about 5-8 years, you'll get a really nasty bite from one and decide they both have to be sold to a breeder if you let them bond now.

so better to keep my amazon in the same cage , take the male back to the owner , and in the big cage i should get a macaw ? :D
please make me happy and tell me yes :D

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
weko;18754what was the reason for ur macaw to break ur finger ? [/QUOTE said:
Poor handling skills on my part. She was less than a year old and not being aggressive. She just didn't want to go back in her cage and was goofing around on top. I stuck my hand up to her in a position where she grabbed it and raked her lower beak across the bone and knuckle. It was meant to be a play lunge that macaws do, but she was a baby and not in very good control of herself and I wasn't experienced enough to know how I needed to present my hand to her in such a way as to prevent the pressure build up from snapping a finger. She is my first macaw. We just didn't know each other very well yet. Although now that she is mature, she will get kind of hormonal and put the squeeze on my fingers majorly to prevent me from moving them so she can masturbate. I have to watch her pretty close or I get an ouch. I do not let her masturbate on me or encourage it, but sometimes she has other ideas.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots

thats why i am planning to introduce the male now cuz both wont be yet mature ,, i am also planning to put each in a cage in the beginning till they get used to each other ,, i want them to bound with me in the same time to like each other when they become mature i want them to bound with each other and still trust and like me ,, my goal is breeding and petting them ! honestly i want both :) i am paying alot of money for it and i really woud like one day to recover a bit of what i payed buy the breeding thing :)

If i was putting a pair together for breeding, i would not be buying handraised tame pet birds. You would be much more successful with parent raised babies, IMO. Ex-pets that are breeders tend to be very aggressive to humans, among other things. They don't have a fear of humans. My parent raised (or wild caught) breeders , seem to become much more acceptable to peoples after awhile than the ex-pets, who become very nasty. I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule but this has been my experience. I would say that i can walk up to a pair of breeders and quickly tell you if either was a ex-pet. The ex-pets are lunging ,acting very aggressive and the "wild" birds are calm. In my case the "wild" birds are happy to see me, the ex-pets are not.

Last edited:
OP
W

weko

Sep 1, 2012
weko;18754what was the reason for ur macaw to break ur finger ? [/quote said:
Poor handling skills on my part. She was less than a year old and not being aggressive. She just didn't want to go back in her cage and was goofing around on top. I stuck my hand up to her in a position where she grabbed it and raked her lower beak across the bone and knuckle. It was meant to be a play lunge that macaws do, but she was a baby and not in very good control of herself and I wasn't experienced enough to know how I needed to present my hand to her in such a way as to prevent the pressure build up from snapping a finger. She is my first macaw. We just didn't know each other very well yet. Although now that she is mature, she will get kind of hormonal and put the squeeze on my fingers majorly to prevent me from moving them so she can masturbate. I have to watch her pretty close or I get an ouch. I do not let her masturbate on me or encourage it, but sometimes she has other ideas.

I do not let her masturbate on me or encourage it, but sometimes she has other ideas

why ? how does she masturbate ?

tell me should i get a macaw ?

Last edited:
OP
W

weko

Sep 1, 2012

If i was putting a pair together for breeding, i would not be buying handraised tame pet birds. You would be much more successful with parent raised babies, IMO. Ex-pets that are breeders tend to be very aggressive to humans, among other things. They don't have a fear of humans. My parent raised (or wild caught) breeders , seem to become much more acceptable to peoples after awhile than the ex-pets, who become very nasty. I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule but this has been my experience. I would say that i can walk up to a pair of breeders and quickly tell you if either was a ex-pet. The ex-pets are lunging ,acting very aggressive and the "wild" birds are calm. In my case the "wild" birds are happy to see me, the ex-pets are not.

so whats ur recommendation ? what should i do ? i wanna another amazon and i want one macaw , :(

should i get the macaw now , and after 3 years i get a 5 years old male (amazon ) then my female will be something like 4.5 years old .. what should i do ?

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
No No No getting a macaw isn't a good choice at all if you have never owned a bird before you really should take a seat and do your research I have seen countless of new members who have joined the forums and said they are first time bird owners and that they have just bought a macaw or cockatoo which in my eyes and in the eyes of almost every other member on the forums its a stupid idea to think you can just go out and buy the largest macaw or a cockatoo because the stories people have heard about them being real cuddle bugs yes that is true but what people forget to read about is the side most of us owners don't really talk about and that's the down side its one thing jumping in and buying a amazon but its really a dumb idea just to jump in and buy a macaw or cockatoo and every other member will tell you the same thing.

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
melissasparrots;187562I do not let her masturbate on me or encourage it said:
Hmm, I can't tell you to get a macaw. Depending on your building, it might be very irresponsible to get a macaw. I would never have one living in an apartment or flat. I have a rare and highly sought after macaw. And yet I still am more of an amazon person than a macaw person. My advice would be to keep your amazons in separate cages, preferably separate rooms and don't get a macaw. But that is just me. If you're concerned about your bond with the amazon being affected by having two, then return on of the amazons and focus on giving the remaining bird a really good quality life. If in a few years you still want a macaw and you've managed to raise your amazon to be well adjusted and happy, then re-evaluate your living situation and go for it if appropriate. Personally I don't like to see people getting a lot of birds fast. They tend to burn out and end up rehoming the least favorite. Value the ones you have because their life and happiness is every bit as important as that of another species you might want. Sometimes its best to set aside our own wants and focus on making the best life for what we have.

My breeding pair of amazons were put together after being 10 years old and never seeing each other when younger. They are a pretty good pair. The female is still friendly. The male is dangrous and extremely aggressive. Both are former pets. Amazons just don't do the happy medium well. You might want to have breeding birds that love you back. The reality is that no matter how much you might want it, its unlikely to happen. With my adult male, I love him and he hates me. I'm okay with that and love him anyway. He's just doing what male amazons do and I can't fault him for it.

Last edited:

Most Reactions