DYH theory about talking

OP
W

weko

Sep 1, 2012
No No No getting a macaw isn't a good choice at all if you have never owned a bird before you really should take a seat and do your research I have seen countless of new members who have joined the forums and said they are first time bird owners and that they have just bought a macaw or cockatoo which in my eyes and in the eyes of almost every other member on the forums its a stupid idea to think you can just go out and buy the largest macaw or a cockatoo because the stories people have heard about them being real cuddle bugs yes that is true but what people forget to read about is the side most of us owners don't really talk about and that's the down side its one thing jumping in and buying a amazon but its really a dumb idea just to jump in and buy a macaw or cockatoo and every other member will tell you the same thing.

Dear paul ,, ive been raising parrots since i was almost 12 years old starting with 2 african greys , then pair of love birds then i owned a cocktail after it a cockatoo ,, then bird flue came i sold everything and last year again i bought a wild african grey and i managed to tame it in less than 3 months and then a female amazon DYh :)

OP
W

weko

Sep 1, 2012
melissasparrots;187562I do not let her masturbate on me or encourage it said:
Hmm, I can't tell you to get a macaw. Depending on your building, it might be very irresponsible to get a macaw. I would never have one living in an apartment or flat. I have a rare and highly sought after macaw. And yet I still am more of an amazon person than a macaw person. My advice would be to keep your amazons in separate cages, preferably separate rooms and don't get a macaw. But that is just me. If you're concerned about your bond with the amazon being affected by having two, then return on of the amazons and focus on giving the remaining bird a really good quality life. If in a few years you still want a macaw and you've managed to raise your amazon to be well adjusted and happy, then re-evaluate your living situation and go for it if appropriate. Personally I don't like to see people getting a lot of birds fast. They tend to burn out and end up rehoming the least favorite. Value the ones you have because their life and happiness is every bit as important as that of another species you might want. Sometimes its best to set aside our own wants and focus on making the best life for what we have.

My breeding pair of amazons were put together after being 10 years old and never seeing each other when younger. They are a pretty good pair. The female is still friendly. The male is dangrous and extremely aggressive. Both are former pets. Amazons just don't do the happy medium well. You might want to have breeding birds that love you back. The reality is that no matter how much you might want it, its unlikely to happen. With my adult male, I love him and he hates me. I'm okay with that and love him anyway. He's just doing what male amazons do and I can't fault him for it.

how often they give eggs that hatch ? did u use a special room or cage for breeding ? cant u separate them now till he the next breeding season ?

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
weko; how often they give eggs that hatch ? did u use a special room or cage for breeding ? cant u separate them now till he the next breeding season ?[/quote said:
They give me eggs once or twice a year. Always in the spring and summer. Usually 2-3 eggs per clutch. However, its rare if all three are fertile. Mine usually have two fertile eggs and maybe a third that is infertile about 75% of the time. Furthermore, mine tend to crack one clutch or the other. In 8 years with this pair, I've only successfully hatched a second clutch a few times. Normally they give me two successful babies a year and I'm happy with that. My male gets so aggressive when I'm in the room cleaning, that he dives into the box to make sure I don't steal his eggs. In the process, despite having a shelf in there to prevent him from landing on them, he still manages to crack them periodically.

Why would I want to separate them? They enjoy each other's company. It would be selfish for me to separate them just so accept attention from me. Also, my female really does like me and I am able to pet her at times when the male isn't close. This means that when I'm in the room, she doesn't sit on her eggs too well because she wants to be out with me. Being very human bonded does not make for successful breeding birds in most cases. Also, my male gets so angry if he sees me petting her, he will attack her. Its better for my female if I'm not too friendly with her. Frankly, I don't think my male would be very friendly even if he was an only bird and I don't think he would be very happy without a bird companion. Once I put a pair together, I don't break them apart unless there is some sort of problem.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey weko, when i put my breeders together, it takes them a few years to get it right. I would say from time of hatch ( from when parents hatch)till i get babies is 8-10 years. If your investing that kind of time ,effort,food,housing,vet bills,etc. i'd start with the best babies i could and not screw it up trying to make pets out of them. Have you ever visited Howard Voren's website? voren.com

OP
W

weko

Sep 1, 2012
Hey weko, when i put my breeders together, it takes them a few years to get it right. I would say from time of hatch ( from when parents hatch)till i get babies is 8-10 years. If your investing that kind of time ,effort,food,housing,vet bills,etc. i'd start with the best babies i could and not screw it up trying to make pets out of them. Have you ever visited Howard Voren's website? voren.com

i did ,, he is the guy who have the blue yellow naped and some other strange tthings right ?

why ?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
You should read some of his articles , they're there on his site.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
I don't want to write a book about how to breed zons, but i've been though a lot of trail and error. IMO there's a lot more to it than throwing a couple of zons together. Diet, caging,boxes, there's just so many factors. Yes you can get lucky, but to be successful it takes years of learning. researching people like Howard will help . You need a mentor, i don't really have the time. I'm just trying to help you get started down the right path. The goal of breeding (in your case) would be healthy,well socialized babies that are pet quality. I would think you need tons of experience with adult zon behavior in order to produce those type of babies. I'd learn about how to live with a zon before breeding zons. i don't mean to discourse you but think you need the basics first. Example, how to cure male aggression if you don't understand why males become aggressive. breeding males need territory defense to stimulate hormones for successful breeding, Because they are cavity nesters, best sites are in high demand. They must defend their site from other pairs. That way the strongest, smartest,healthest birds get the best sites=stronger babies,better survival rates.The lesser pairs get the cavities that are accessible to predators, flood with early rains,too far from multible food sources,etc. = less surviving babies. So when breeding multible pairs in the same area, you need screens between pairs so they don,t neglect babies defending their nest from other near by birds BUT you need to take the screens down before nesting season to stimulate males. This is getting involved which i was trying to avoid. Once i get started it's hard for me to quit. I started with pet birds and after studying wild parrots ,became interested in breeding. Start small and work your way up, don't jump in over your head.

Last edited:
OP
W

weko

Sep 1, 2012
I don't want to write a book about how to breed zons, but i've been though a lot of trail and error. IMO there's a lot more to it than throwing a couple of zons together. Diet, caging,boxes, there's just so many factors. Yes you can get lucky, but to be successful it takes years of learning. researching people like Howard will help . You need a mentor, i don't really have the time. I'm just trying to help you get started down the right path. The goal of breeding (in your case) would be healthy,well socialized babies that are pet quality. I would think you need tons of experience with adult zon behavior in order to produce those type of babies. I'd learn about how to live with a zon before breeding zons. i don't mean to discourse you but think you need the basics first. Example, how to cure male aggression if you don't understand why males become aggressive. breeding males need territory defense to stimulate hormones for successful breeding, Because they are cavity nesters, best sites are in high demand. They must defend their site from other pairs. That way the strongest, smartest,healthest birds get the best sites=stronger babies,better survival rates.The lesser pairs get the cavities that are accessible to predators, flood with early rains,too far from multible food sources,etc. = less surviving babies. So when breeding multible pairs in the same area, you need screens between pairs so they don,t neglect babies defending their nest from other near by birds BUT you need to take the screens down before nesting season to stimulate males. This is getting involved which i was trying to avoid. Once i get started it's hard for me to quit. I started with pet birds and after studying wild parrots ,became interested in breeding. Start small and work your way up, don't jump in over your head.

so better to wait like 5 years then get a male ?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Well, what's your goal ? pet or breeder bird ? If you wanted breeder birds then you could raise them together. I'd make sure now i had DNA 'd birds. If you wanted a pet i wouldn't add another. Another thing, do you have a outlet for babies? Don't think you won't get attached to those babies after taking the time and trouble of raising them right. Good owners are very hard to come by IMO. I generally have my babies sold before i give the parents a nest box.

Last edited:
OP
W

weko

Sep 1, 2012
Well, what's your goal ? pet or breeder bird ? If you wanted breeder birds then you could raise them together. I'd make sure now i had DNA 'd birds. If you wanted a pet i wouldn't add another. Another thing, do you have a outlet for babies? Don't think you won't get attached to those babies after taking the time and trouble of raising them right. Good owners are very hard to come by IMO. I generally have my babies sold before i give the parents a nest box.

honestly , i want both ,,i want a pet and to bread later ,, what about a macaw ? should i get one ?

OP
W

weko

Sep 1, 2012

honestly , i want both ,,i want a pet and to bread later ,, what about a macaw ? should i get one ?

i guess ill wait 5 years to get a male

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
That's probably the best thing. Heck ,by then you may not want to give her up to breeding. I'd just be care about adding too many, too quickly. Some birds seem to make better pets and some birds seem to be better as breeders. Something i should add, happy zons make better breeders, really get to know your birds. The more you know about them the more successful you'll be.

Casey

May 26, 2012
NJ
Parrots
GCC: Pretty Bird h.1/10/12 & CAG: Mj h. 2/18/12 & Scarlet Macaw: Scarlet h. 7/12/12

I normally don't respond this way so I'll put my flame suit on...
You can't figure out a zon and you ask what about a macaw?
Are you stupid?
Nobody can answer that question but you. Just the fact your asking should tell you something.
A zon can give a nasty bite, a macaw can crack and break bones.
In my opinion someone should be very experienced with birds before getting a full size macaw.

OP
W

weko

Sep 1, 2012

Are you stupid?
Nobody can answer that question but you. Just the fact your asking should tell you something.
In my opinion someone should be very experienced with birds before getting a full size macaw.

your being rude ,, ppl ask to learn !

Casey

May 26, 2012
NJ
Parrots
GCC: Pretty Bird h.1/10/12 & CAG: Mj h. 2/18/12 & Scarlet Macaw: Scarlet h. 7/12/12
Are you stupid?

your being rude ,, ppl ask to learn !

Sorry for being rude.

What have you learned? (Other then I'm rude)

DukesAquarium

Sep 13, 2011
I think the OP is really inexperienced and should not even have a pair of DYH amazon breeding in an apartment...! You are probably maxed out with one DYH amazon in an apartment, no one is going to tell you you should buy a macaw because they are really big and loud... also are best left for the experienced bird keepers.

Most Reactions

Latest posts