Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
This is definitely NOT legal in the USA and is likely somewhere in British Columbia Canada. Possession of an eagle feather is a FELONY in America unless you are a Native American Indian. Watch this video:

[ame=http://youtu.be/i9o0JdtYFBA]Playing with my new pet ! - YouTube[/ame]

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
:mad: Made me VERY angry!

I'm fortunate enough to live less than 3 miles from a wildlife reservoir where we have a pair of Bald Eagles. Each and every time I see one I get goosebumps.

They SHOULD NEVER be considered "pets".

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Not here in BC Canada, we have very strict laws and Eagles are considered an endangered species.
We are also not to have eagle feathers unless we are native.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I have a friend who rescues disabled raptors (all legal with permits, etc), and the general impression I get is that they aren't really pet material. She has one (out of like, 10-20 raptors, I forget exactly) that she's had since it was a baby, which she said she can cuddle.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Yea, I looked into getting the permits and all that a few years ago, it ain't easy, fast OR cheap :17:

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Personally, I think raptors can be fantastic pets - if you don't mind the whole, feeding them chicks and lizards and all that kind of stuff.

My Veterinarian is a keen falcon-rerererr. and there is a lady who lives near me who trains her raptors at the park across the road from me. She has everything from owls, kestrals, hawks, etc. Not sure if she has eagles, but they are legal. :)

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
We had a wildlife group out to talk to the kids yesterday at school. They brought 2 owls, a falcon, red tailed hawk and turkey vulture. I had no idea about it being illegal to have an eagle feather until yesterday!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Hm should probably edit that to make it clear;

By 'fantastic as pets', I obviously mean that it is a lot different to having a dog, or a parrot etc. With BoP you're not going to get cuddle bugs like the cockatoos. That lady who I mentioned earlier has a nice scar on her face from where her handreared kestral got a little bit too cranky with her.

They are the definition of hard work.

Take your most difficult parrot experience and times it tenfold. These birds have powerful beaks meant for ripping skin. It's hard for people to love and appreciate BoP's unless they can do all the falconry training that comes with it, as the birds just arn't stimulated enough.

So yeah; they can be fantastic pets. But they are unbelievably hard to keep and maintain as happy healthy birdies.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
When we lived in Oklahoma for 8 years I was certified in wildlife rehabilitation and was assigned to a local lady whose home was set up to house raptors. Pet material? Not so much! Granted, we NEVER rehabbed babies or young birds or prey, but working with these animals is no small feat. Keeping them fed is actually the easiest part. ;)

At one time Yolande forgot to put on her glove when handling a Golden Eagle, and the bruises on her arm were something I will never forget.

And wharfrat, it's RIDICULOUS how much money it costs to get into this "hobby/sport". The paperwork is quite extensive, too AND costly.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Take your most difficult parrot experience and times it tenfold.

LOL

My last dog was like that........would bloody me in a heartbeat playing but never left a mark on my then tiny boy or wife (although she WOULD growl at the wife if she gave me a kiss in her presence :eek:)

Best dog I ever had and have the scars to prove it (yea, I know, I ain't normal :54:)

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
I used o live in Adak Alaska, which is home to 1000's of eagles. They truly are magical but very hard to live around with those numbers. You honestly had to be very careful with food outside because thy act like seagulls on crack. I don't know how many bags of groceries were lost because they would wait till you brought some inside and when you went back out to get more there are HUGE birds starring you down. My neighbors cat was eaten by them, it was horrible. But even with there problems they are magnificent animals.

OP
Alwese

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
Here is a video of Eagles in Unalaska, Alaska showing how they act like seagulls here. i don't know if I would want children that close to them as they are strong enough to carry off deer, but it shows how TAME acting things in Alaska seem to be and how you can get unbelieveably close to them. Here in Florida we have Turkey Vultures that have learned how to beg for food in State Parks (like at Salt Springs FL) Click on link to video: [ame=http://youtu.be/UZJKmPa42PM]Over 30 Bald Eagles in the back yard - YouTube[/ame]

Rana

Sep 18, 2012
Dublin, Ireland (Republic)
Parrots
Scottie Pippen (Pinapple GCC) Little Bandit (Hahns Macaw)
I see them up for sale every now and again in Ireland, rare, but out there... Falcons and owls seem more common though (as bird of prey pets).

I think they are stunning and very gracious, but they need soooo much special care, if you'd get one as a pet, if it's legal where you are, I feel you best know darn well what you're getting into... :S

Most Reactions

Latest posts