eastern rosella

prizmo

Aug 8, 2010
Media
:rainbow1:hello everyone, I have an eastern rosella, he is a med size parakeet, about the size of a cockateil, his wings are clipped, but he gets around quite well, my problem with him is that whenever it is time for him to go back to his cage for the nite for so I can leave for work he takes off any way he can, he runs, flys as far as he can and continously runs off. I don't want him to get hurt and wind up chasing all over the place, and he get into some bad spots, how do I get him to just step up and go in the cage? Please HELP!

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
Maybe use treats? Bald spots could be due to stress as well, maybe something in the cage scares him? Eastern Rosellas round here are about twice the size of cockatiels.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Ratzy, just letting you know; prizmo meant to say 'bad' spots. Not bald. ;)

Hi Prizmo, welcome to the forum. Ratzy has given you good advice as to offering treats. You need to do all that you possibly can to make going in the cage a positive experience, not aa negative one. This training is called positive reinforcement. Praise him when he goes in, praise him and treat him when he stays in. Praise him and treat him when he comes out. The whole experience is supposed to be very positive.

I wish you all the best; please let us all know how it turns out.

OP
P

prizmo

Aug 8, 2010
Media
Thanks ratzy and parrotqueen, I have used treats, his favorite are sunflower seeds, but he has actually taken the seed and ran with it so to speak, by the time I get to his cage with him on my finger he takes flight again. He plays with everything in his cage so I don't think that's the problem, not sure what it is.
Oh and thank you for the welcome.

Most Reactions