Hello everyone! I'm new here ^_^

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Santa Barbara county, California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure: Tori
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a Green Cheek Conure, which I have named "Tori" (It meens "Bird" in Japanese, and is also the name of the little robot bird in "Gundam Seed" who looks kind of like a green cheek...I'm not too creative)

I got him/her from the pet store my sister works at and brought him/her home on 08/03/10. He/she is 4 months old (hatched 04-20-10) and is very pretty! Unfortunately I haven't found a bird vet yet, though he has been vaccinated. I still want to take him/her for a birdy physical and find out Tori's gender! (I live in Santa Barbara county, CA so if anyone knows a good Bird vet around there, please let me know!)

A little that I have found out about my bird is that he really really REALLY likes bells. The first thing he did when we brought him home was stick his beak out to hit the bell, then climbed over to it and stuck his face into the bottom. (Its not a jingle bell, don't worry!) He also really likes strings, so he has a lot of string and bell toys in his cage. The strings are all leather straps and none of the bells are jingle bells. I also checked them before I put them in the cage to make sure it was impossible to pull the little clappers out.

He has three different perches in his cage, one is the dowel perch that came with the cage, one is a stick perch and one is a calcium/cuddle bone perch. He really likes to sit on and eat the calcium perch, and he sleeps on it too. He really likes to put his food in his water, which made it really dirty, so I moved his water so he couldn't get to it with a seed in his mouth.

He tends to let me get pretty close to him, but he won't let me touch him just yet. He likes to lick and nip my fingers when I put my hand in or near the cage, but he hasn't really bitten me hard yet. (I know he can, because he got my sister's boyfriend pretty good when we were first putting him in the cage) I've only had him for 9 days, so I think he is doing pretty well.( At least thats what my bird savvy friends have been saying)

He is actually a pretty quiet bird, and doesn't have many lout outbursts. My sister has told me that he gets pretty loud when I'm away, but he doesn't make much more than a cute little squeak when I'm there. (I work at 4:00AM, so hes asleep for the majority of my shift. He tends to wake up at 8:00) He also seems to have made friends with my mom's love bird. He is a very messy eater, but I had expected that.

All of the loud noises, throwing food, nipping etc. are not going to upset me. partly because I have wanted a bird for a long time and expected it, and partly because he is just so beautiful! He is a very deep green on his back, with a lighter shade on his tummy. His neck is a pretty silver and his little green cheeks are very pronounced. He has two little red patches on his belly just above his legs, and his tail is a very vibrant red. Hes got a pretty dark grey head. I would show a picture (I'm a photographer, I have like 70 already), but I don't quite know how to add one yet. :p

Anyway, sorry this is so long! if anyone has any tips on how to get him to let me touch him, step up, speak, etc. and generally be happy and healthy, I would really appreciate it! I want him to have a long happy life with me!

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Welcome! I can't help with avian vet recommendations, but we have other members in CA who may be able to help.

BTW - we love pictures.

OP
Kokihi

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Parrots
I figured it out! Yay!

Heres a picture!

38998_1546998560976_1415400161_31492068_933349_n.jpg

He doesn't trust me yet, so I can't take him out of the cage. . . good thing my camera is awesome and focused past the bars! lol

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Tori is adorable!! You will have so much fun and it sounds like you are on track already. You can make your own toys, learn to cook and serve bird food and make friends here on the forum. We are happy to have you as a member. Remember our feathered friends need lots of sleep 10-12 hrs. Natural perches are good and foraging toys are the best. There are lots of good web sites to visit. One of my favorite places is parrot enrichment. We are here for you if you develop any concerns.

http://www.parrotenrichment.com/
banana_smiley_9.gif

Last edited:
OP
Kokihi

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Parrots
Thank you very much Spiritbird!

I'm actually in the process of building a little playground for him at the bottom of his cage, so we'll see how that goes! Thank you very much for referring me to that website! I'll check it out!

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hi Kokihi and welcome to the forum, the best suggestion I can give you right now is to allow the bird to settle down and get used to its new environment before expecting to much, after settleing down you can work on gaining the birds trust and things will fall in place after that, Im not real familiar with with California geography so I'll send you a couple of websites that contain both avian vets and board certified avian vets, you can look them over and see whats closest to you, good luck with your new fid (fid = feathered kid) :)

Land of Vos - List of Avian Veterinarians

Birdsnways - Board Certified Avian Veterinarians

OP
Kokihi

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Parrots
Thank you so much for all the welcomes! And thank you for the links, Bobby34231! I really need to take Tori for a birdie physical to make sure he/she is nice and healthy! (And also find out if Tori is a He or a She lol)

Most Reactions