Eating Junk

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I have one Umbrella, a Bare Eye, and two budgies.
How do I get Fred to eat healthy? He is an Oscar not a Felix. He loves mac and cheese, potatoes with butter, chips, chicken McNugets and occasional a nut, (or if I am real lucky), a grape. He eats Zupreme fruit mix. He hates veggies and most fruit. My bare eye eats a lot more healthy.

18944577_1084637148335681_1915988094_n.jpg

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Parrots are like kids. They want to do what the grown ups do. If you're eating mac and cheese, potatoes with butter, chips, chicken McNugets then Fred is just copying - he's doing what you've taught him to do from social conditioning.

My suggestion? Eat some fruit infront of him and act like it's the best thing you've ever eaten. Then when he's getting curious give him a tiny bit (obviously making sure you don't give him a bit that could have your saliva on.) If he nibbles it - lots of positive reinforcement and praise. Introduce lots of things this way and see how you get on. Bella wouldn't eat grapes until I did this with her.

If you're feeding a mix, put some veg through a food processor and then mix it in with the mix, that way a bit of goodness will get in.

You can make veg more palatable by adding a smidge of coconut oil or palm nut oil and mixing it in. I've found that my birds love oven cooked butternut squash - cooked in a little coconut oil. I mash it and feed it warm. It's a great comfort food.

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
Parrots are like kids. They want to do what the grown ups do. If you're eating mac and cheese, potatoes with butter, chips, chicken McNugets then Fred is just copying - he's doing what you've taught him to do from social conditioning.

My suggestion? Eat some fruit infront of him and act like it's the best thing you've ever eaten. Then when he's getting curious give him a tiny bit (obviously making sure you don't give him a bit that could have your saliva on.) If he nibbles it - lots of positive reinforcement and praise. Introduce lots of things this way and see how you get on. Bella wouldn't eat grapes until I did this with her.

If you're feeding a mix, put some veg through a food processor and then mix it in with the mix, that way a bit of goodness will get in.

You can make veg more palatable by adding a smidge of coconut oil or palm nut oil and mixing it in. I've found that my birds love oven cooked butternut squash - cooked in a little coconut oil. I mash it and feed it warm. It's a great comfort food.

Excellent advice!
If we want to peak Arika's interest in food, a treat, or a toy just eat some or play with it and don't let her have any for a while. Pretend it is the greatest thing since sliced bread and you are having fun with it. It will peak their interest to the point that they just have to get in on the treats and fun. Try to make it a game.
Try your chef skills at making some chop. There are plenty of recipes on the food section of ParrotForums.

Also stop giving her the bad stuff ! :)

Thanks
Kelly, Karl, and Arika

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I would suggest some "tough love" for Fred's ultimate health and longevity. Parrots love the trifecta of ingredients that captivates humans: sugar, salt, and fat. Your choice whether to wean him off or go "cold turkey."

The Parrot Food, Recipes, and Diet forum has resources to help. A few favorites: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-food-recipes-diet/49831-chop-day-recipe.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-food-recipes-diet/65841-poppy-s-jolly-jungle-bread.html

Parrots are flock eaters, and Fred may be influenced by watching you and your bare-eye eat healthier foods. Make a bowl for each of your parrots and yourself and start eating! If he is fussy, try a few foods that are generally popular, such as cooked yams, sweet potatoes, green peas, and corn on the cob. The latter isn't particularly nourishing, but may be a reward for trying new items. Be persistent, some of my birds consistently toss certain foods for years, only to eventually try and appreciate.

Most Reactions