Fin 4 months regurgitating and humping hand...what???

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Yeah sooooo....yesterday and today Finley regurgitated a couple of times and then proceeded to hump my hand briefly. He is only 4 months old and I was not petting him below the neck and now I am definitely paying attention to where I pet him and how long if at all. I am not really sure what this is about because I pet Ollie on the head and chest areas and he has never humped me and hasn't regurgitated since he was 6 months old (which is kinda weird that it was as a baby and not now), he is now a year and 3 months. What is the deal with my little Fin Fin? So weird.

enciDGP.jpg

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
That photo made me giggle out loud. Precious little Fin, indeed.

This has helped me... maybe it might be right for you, at some point.

The Rb is a very... ummm... passionate bird.
Ever since he hit sexual maturity at about 3-4 years of age, I've had to manage his hormones! If kept on too steady a long day, and too much light, he stayed "in the mood" (aggressive, even louder than usual, pleasuring himself on my neck ) year round. If I keep him on a natural light schedule... up with dawn, down with dusk, year around... THEN he's only a little monster rooster from July to September). He has his own room, so I can do that easily.

Natural light has also been good for regular, healthy moults.

I know work schedules, etc., can make it difficult.

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

GaleriaGila, that is sort of helpful but I am more after an answer as to how or why this could be happening so young and if this is normal and if anyone has any experiences with them acting this way as such a young bird. Thanks!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
GaleriaGila, that is sort of helpful but I am more after an answer as to how or why this could be happening so young and if this is normal and if anyone has any experiences with them acting this way as such a young bird. Thanks!

Maybe a phone call to your avian vet tomorrow? Tell them what’s up and ask if they have any thoughts/concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
Well, to answer your questions, have you ever seen a male puppy? They freaking hump everything in sight, and they're still just babies. Heck, their testicles haven't even fully decended yet. Some animals become sexual quite early, while some take years. Your boy probably just discovered the joys of sex, and since he's so young, he has very little impulse control and lots of stamina, so he's going to constantly be humping things. It's very important to get on top of things (only touch his head, don't touch his chest, etc.), at least 12 hours of complete darkness (if this doesn't help, make it 14 hours of darkness), lots of foraging opportunities, toys to shred, daily training sessions with mommy (step up, flight recall, target training, trick training, etc.), etc.

When Ziggy became hypersexual, he was completely out of control and was sexually assaulting every bird he could pin down (males and females), he was constantly masturbating, he was constantly harassing the girls, and he wouldn't quit beating the snot out of Pollo. It took quite a while, but now things are under control.

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

Hmm. I'm definitely going give the vet a ring tomorrow. Finley is getting about 13 hours of darkness and I don't pet him in any place but his head and neck. He does roll over on his back and I let him chew a little on my fingers..might not let him to that...the rowdy little fella! Ollie must be a-sexual because he is so not like this. Oh well... I'll do what I can to calm him down and distract him if he does these sexual behaviors. I love him dearly even if he is a pervert at the age of 4 months haha!

Most Reactions