Eclectus Breeding

dwayne

Aug 8, 2010
Is Breeding Eclectus Parrots easy/ not to hard ?

If you hand raise the babies/ get them out of the nest when they just get their pin feathers how often do you feed them by spoon ?

(how many feeds/How often - do you need to get up through the night or can you give them like their last feed around 11am at night until like 7am in the morning) ?

What type of nest box is best ? (Is L shape better) ?

This as well as any other info is greatly appreciated ?

Are Eclectus Parrots ok for a first time breeder ?

I have done some hand raising before for my Indian Ringneck parrot of which I was feeding him by spoon a few times a day for about 1 and a half - 2 months. I guess this exp may help in hand raising Eclectus Parrots even though as adults their diet is different to most birds I believe they eat more fruit/veg and special formula designed for them in terms of parrot pellets and ive been told u don't feed them seed is this true ?

Thank you
Dwayne :green2: :red1:

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Hi Dwayne and welcome. I have oned birds for over 35 yrs and bred birds for 15 yrs. IMPO do not purchase a breeder pair until you have worked along side a breeder and learned verything t entails. Breeding is not a money making affair! Eclectus are one of the more difficult species to keep let alone breed. They have very specific dietary requirements.
No one can tell you how to set up breeding and Handfeed babies. You have to experience it under the close of eye of an experienced avain breeder.
There are so many things hat can go wrong. I don't want to burst your bubble, but you have to remember that you have the lives of very innocent and delicate creatures at your mercy. Research, research and find a breeder in our area for guidance.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome Dwayne, glad you joining our wonderful forum.
Greycloud is 100%, work together with a breeder, learning everything pertaining to breeding Eclectus' birds.
Best is "hands on training"
13.gif

Take your time, research, ask questions and learn all there is to know.
Below is a link which i am sure you will find most interesting

http://www.wonderclub.com/Wildlife/birds/EclectusParrot.htm
Good luck

Last edited:

Most Reactions