Eclectus- Cant step up?

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Oscar and Female Eclectus- Scarlet
Hi everyone!
I just put a deposit on my first Eclectus! So excited, shes beautiful!
I went to see her about a week ago, everything was fine, i had no problem with her she looked healthy, nice feathers, the place was clean and the guy knew what he was talking about. But the only problem was, this 3 month almost fully weaned Eclectus had NO idea how to step up????!!! She wouldnt budge, at all.
He told me that they were too young to step up yet. Is this really true? Is this an eclectus thing? I picked up a 3 month Blue Fronted Amazon with my uncle when he got her, she knew how to step up.

So anyway, i had to pick up the bird and put her on my lap, because once i had her on my hand her balance was a little off (this also worried me, but she is still young). I have no problem training the bird to step up myself, it's just every bird i have got has known how to step up, and i got all my birds except my ringneck when they were just fully weaned. Just wondering on what your opinons were on this.
But other then that, she is a beautiful girl, and i'll be picking her up next week :) cant wait!

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
My girl could step up when I got her, but she was a little wobbly on the balance.

OP
Brodie

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
I dont see this as a huge problem, i can teach her myself. But I just thought it was strange.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Hi Brodie,

I have a little 12 week old hen & she knows how to step up because she was taught very young. Just a habit on my part, each time i take a baby to feed i ask them to step up. At 3 months they should have learnt to step up/down & practicing to fly.

To test your babies grip get her to grip your finger, see how strong she hangs on. Have you done any research on eclectus. I feel the breeder is selling the baby a little to young. Are you going to finish off feeding her?

OP
Brodie

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Nope, his not letting her go till his finished feeding her.
Ive done research for months, had birds all my life, and im baby sitter for all my uncles birds when he goes on holidays, his got a pair of eclectus', 4 conures, two amazons and a.bunch of avairy birds.
Its just the only bird i have got this young is my cockatiel, and he knew how to step up, i just wasnt sure if its an eclectus thing or if i should be worried. Im going to question him out this when i go pick her up next week.

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
i got pickle at 3-4 months, and he did not know "step up" per-se, but simply wanted to be on you if your arm was in reach (we have since taught him "up-you-get" :p). He was so wobbly the day we brought him home we kept him in the cat box *at night - to sleep, for the first week because we were scared he would fall in his new large cage.
(mind you he was recently clipped so this experience really isnt a gauge on how a fully feathered ekkies balance should be.)

OP
Brodie

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
I went there the other day, her balance was alot better! Still not stepping up though. But im excited to bring her home, just a few more days! Cage is all set up with some new toys and ready to go! Shes gonna love it :)
:red1:

Most Reactions