Eclectus hand rearing?!

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
I have a citron cockatoo, Umbrella cockatoo, Parakeets, Finches, Lovebirds, Cockatiels, Canaries, Sun Conures, Green Cheek Conures and planning to get a lot more!!!
Hi i am buying a pair of eclectus that has breeded 3 successful clutches so far. I am hoping to handrear them from day 1 as the other owner did. How do i tame them during this process? Train them not to bite me? Also what would be that handfeeding formula? I know its a lot of work and its hard to handrear eclectus but im up for the challenge. the pair was 2k with the big aviary nestbox etc. 8x4x7 LxWxH Please let me know as i prepare for this pair. Also the female has been in the nesting box they said a lot lately does this mean that they are about to have babies soon? Please let me know asap so i can get all the things ready for this pair.

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
I haven't hand-reared Eclectus parrots but I've heard that, like Macaws, they are one of the more difficult and needy birds to hand-raise. Not to mention even as adults they have a very particular diet and can become stressed out and pluck due to stress or vitamin deficiencies. I feel like you should do a ton of research and perhaps find an eclectus breeder who is experienced who can personally teach you about the formulas, the amount to feed, etc. Not to mention hand-rearing from day one includes hourly feedings for the first X amount of days, days, then every two hours, and so on.. it is very difficult and time consuming and it takes a ton of experience and specifics. Hope someone who can help you more pops in, that's just my opinion. Best of luck though.

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
I have a citron cockatoo, Umbrella cockatoo, Parakeets, Finches, Lovebirds, Cockatiels, Canaries, Sun Conures, Green Cheek Conures and planning to get a lot more!!!
Thanks for your concern. The old owner took it from day 1 and I'm afraid the mom would just abandon her best and not feed her babies. Is it every 4 hours or 2? And if the old owner took all the previous clutches from day 1 should I to? Would the female take care of her babies? Also why did she separate the male once the eggs were layed? Can I still keep them together?

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Thanks for your concern. The old owner took it from day 1 and I'm afraid the mom would just abandon her best and not feed her babies. Is it every 4 hours or 2? And if the old owner took all the previous clutches from day 1 should I to? Would the female take care of her babies? Also why did she separate the male once the eggs were layed? Can I still keep them together?

I don't breed, so I can't tell you for sure. I know many breeders wait until 3 weeks to start doing hand-feedings. If you start from day one then it's every hour for the first few days.. but the rest I have no idea. I'd like to say instincts would kick in and she would feed the babies, but if they're separated, then I don't see how she would (As in the wild the male feeds the female, who then feeds the babies.) I really can't help you in that area. I strongly advise finding a local breeder though who can give you hands-on lessons before taking on the challenge by yourself.

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
I see I will probably leave the female with the male and let the mom start off. Hopefully nature will take its course. Then at 2-3 weeks I'll take the baby out and do it myself.

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
If something happens I will take action ASAP I'll get everything ready just in case

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
What is a good diet for eclectus? I prefer no seeds if it's possible and healthy for the bird. It can be a huge variety

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

Here's a list of foods that are safe and unsafe for parrots. Make sure to read the UNSAFE list also, as you'll see that foods like apples are okay, but the seeds are NOT. I pick different things from a list whenever I go to the store to change up my Ekky's diet as he is not used to fresh food and is warming up to them. You can also use cooked rice (wild or dirty, white rice has no nutritional value) and mix in various beans, sprouts, veggies and seeds to make a nice warm mash. Make sure you serve veggies fresh or lightly steamed, as with most veggies cooking them takes away a lot of the nutrients. All of that is also included in the link, though. :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Eclectus parrot babies are one of the harder ones to hand feed. At the beginning is every hour around the clock not every 4. I will not suggest people get hand feed eclectus chicks especially for a novice. Another thing if they lay egg now and you take on the pair they may abandon the egg or eggs and hatchlings. Please learn way ahead of time before trying to start cause you have absolutely no idea what your getting yourself into if you don't even know what to feed, how to hand feed or train.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
This conversation started over in the conure section, I encourage you to read the posts and advise that has already been given. It worries me that you are saying you have experience and you are ready but asking very basic care questions.
IMO this pair is not a very happy pair, no breeder wants to feed from day one it is a major p-i-t-a, any breeder worth their salt also knows that a baby that is reared by it's parents for the first few weeks will be a happier, healthier baby. In fact more breeders of eclectus are going to co-parenting with their pairs which is even better imo. If the breeder is pulling from day one I would say he/she has had babies killed or not fed in the past, no breeder would just "choose" to feed from day one. Also if the breeder is separating the male from the female once eggs are laid the breeder could have had issues with the male trampling the eggs. The drive to breed in some parrots and eclectus in particular since they don't have a season and can lay all year long can be a strong drive but just putting a male and female together randomly will not always guarantee a strong bond or a good pairing. Imagine being forced by proximity to mate and raise young with someone you didn't like!
You are talking like it is walk in the park to just pull the babies, do you have any idea how defensive and aggressive a female ekkie can be while nesting? Do you have a reliable appropriate brooder? Babies without feathers have to be kept warm and secure.
As I mentioned before ekkies are one of the hardest babies to feed their feeding response is nothing like a macaw or conure who will bounce and bob like crazy. Ekkie babies can easily aspirate if you don't know what you are doing. I really hope for your sake and the pair that you either re-think this or start really doing some research. The website "Land of Vos" has a lot of helpful information.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
One more point as food for thought, if you are concerned over training a baby not to bite... a full on nesting, breeding mode female can and will use her beak like a surgeons scalpel! Not joking here, they are lighting fast and frighteningly accurate in their strike zone, get in her way with out extreme caution and you will get bit, sliced wide open is a more accurate statement though and provided you don't need stitches it will throb for a long time.

I am not trying to be rude or mean or tell anyone what to do but I think breeding should be a careful well thought out decision. There are not only plenty of birds in rescue including eclectus but I think they are a hard sell bird. What I mean by that is few people go into eclectus fully understanding whats in store. They are not cuddly like some other parrots their diet is very special, if you skimp there the bird suffers often times to fatal results.

People fall in love with their child like voices, the candy corn beak and brilliant green of the boys or the heart stopping, stunningly beautiful gals without looking into what it takes to really keep them well and happy.
I also don't think they are a bird that you could necessarily breed and make any money, if you are feeding them correctly that is. I added up ONCE what I spend in a month feeding and then decided I would rather be blissfully ignorant on that issue.:p

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
I know what you mean by price of food. I was thinking of feeding them a variety of 5-7 things 1 week and swithch it up with another 5-7 things and keep on going. I'm breeding canaries right now just a few pair and food cost a lot. I loose more then i make but I'm just trying to even the amount. Not make a profit. I will try to leave the eclectus babies with her for as long as I can unless she abandons the nest. If something goes wrong i will take the baby out.

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
I just do it for the fun of birds.

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
I know what you mean by price of food. I was thinking of feeding them a variety of 5-7 things 1 week and swithch it up with another 5-7 things and keep on going. I'm breeding canaries right now just a few pair and food cost a lot. I loose more then i make but I'm just trying to even the amount. Not make a profit. I will try to leave the eclectus babies with her for as long as I can unless she abandons the nest. If something goes wrong i will take the baby out.

Comparing Eclectus to Canaries is like comparing oranges and apples. If you think food for canaries cost allot wait until you see the reciept for food for an Eclectus.. It's quite a reality check hah. Not something for everyone.

Not trying to be mean or rude-- just pointing it out. :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
It appears that you have made up your mind LovebirdLover, despite the most excellent advice you've been given throughout 2 of your threads.

How will you house the Eclectus pair, and where?

Did you know that a pair of breeding birds should be in PRISTINE condition prior to breeding as the entire process of laying eggs, incubating, feeding the chicks, truly can take a toll on their health.

What type of Eclectus are they, and how old?

Do you have an avian vet in cases of emergencies? Do you know what to do if your hen becomes eggbound?

Do you know how much a brooder costs, and where to get one that is RELIABLE?

Folks weren’t tooting out their rears when they told you Eclectus chicks are especially difficult to hand raise. They don’t have the feeding response that many other chicks have.

Do you have an accurate gram scale? Do you know how much a healthy Eclectus should weigh?

Please seriously ask yourself all these questions AHEAD of time.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Go on YouTube and you'll see a lot of them will tube feed their chicks which is not easy to do and also is very dangerous to do. I'm an experienced breeder and I won't even try to attempt it even though I have done crop feeding before but I don't like it. One false move you can cost the chick's life.

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
How will you house the Eclectus pair, and where?
The pair would be in a 8x4x7 feet aviary
Did you know that a pair of breeding birds should be in PRISTINE condition prior to breeding as the entire process of laying eggs, incubating, feeding the chicks, truly can take a toll on their health.
Yea i did know that thats why im going to givea good variety of food
What type of Eclectus are they, and how old?
They are a solomon and they are about 8 years old. They had 3 successful clutches so far
Do you have an avian vet in cases of emergencies? Do you know what to do if your hen becomes eggbound?
If she becomes eggbound i would probally take her to the vet for surgery
Do you know how much a brooder costs, and where to get one that is RELIABLE?
I will make it myself
Folks weren’t tooting out their rears when they told you Eclectus chicks are especially difficult to hand raise. They don’t have the feeding response that many other chicks have.
I watched the vids on youtube already
Do you have an accurate gram scale? Do you know how much a healthy Eclectus should weigh?
Yes i do an electric one and i recently found the weight they should be at by 1 week and so on

NiRD

Feb 12, 2014
United States
Five to seven things is a poor variety of food. You are contradicting yourself in every post. I say this for the concern of the animals involved, you are not ready to keep eclectus parrots.

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
Porkchop- Yellow sided GCC
i hope i'm not stepping on any toes or being rude...
but this sounds like you are not considering that these are lives that you are "practicing" with....

i would highly suggest speaking with and/or apprenticing an eclectus breeder before putting those little lives in your hands...for the sake of the birds.

everyone thinks newly hatched chicks are cute, but without vast knowledge on the subject including all of the crop issues that can occur so easily, we feel they are better left in more experienced hands.....

OP
L

LovebirdLover

Jan 7, 2013
Parrots
If anything goes wrong i will give it to a breeder for her to handfeed. If they have babies during the school days then ill give it to the breeder but if they hatch during the summerish time then ill do it myself. My friend could help me out. And how is a 5-7 diet not enough i think that is more then enough. For ex: banana, apple, carrot, spinah, lettuce, and oranges and give them a bowl of seeds if they're interested in them for 1 week and another week give them something else. How is that lacking and a poor variety of food?

Most Reactions