Eclectus Hormonal Aggression (New level of 'evil')

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Good video, Chris. Great way to avoid getting tagged. I personally shy away from that method for two reasons, though.

For one, any covering over the fingers or hands actually prompts an attack from Maya. How did I discover this? Because I once had the "bright" idea of wrapping my son's (Aidan's) hand in several layers of vet tape so he could try working with her. (Quick history. Maya has bonded to me. HARD. So she'll tolerate Aida to a point, but anyone else is fair game. Hormones or no. I want to socialize her more, but since she is more likely to draw blood than not, most people would rather not try. And without socialization volunteers...) I did this because Aidan has shown quite the facility for working with birds, and wanted to work with Maya. I have risked it with Jolly, who never bites, no problem. And Bixby before him, who hardly bit once he'd been pressure-trained. But Maya? Maya could put the fear of birds into him. Know what I mean?

Anyhow, I wrapped his hand and fingers with enough layers that I thought he'd be safe from her beak (his fingers looked like thick, mummified sausages) and gave him the go ahead to have Maya step up. Colossal mistake. Her eyes pinned immediately and she bit right THROUGH all the layers in less time than it takes to tell. By the time I'd pried her loose, poor Aidan was screaming, tears flowing down his little face.

So not only was I wrong about the layers upon layers being protection enough, but I'd also managed to trigger what I was hoping to prevent. (Btw, I don't know if this is the case with female ekkies in general, or just Maya specifically, but she bites maybe 2 times as hard as any male eclectus I've experienced. It's something about the substantive nature of her beak. And its shape. It's more dense, more solid. And sharper. And her bites are far more insistent and ferocious, too.)

And second, parrots tend to get a little comfortable biting on gloves. Like it's okay. And that's a problem. You see, birds tend to be creatures of habit. Which is why problems like plucking and self-mutilation, or to a lesser extent screaming and, yes, biting can be so difficult to break. Once they start to become comfortable with the idea of chomping on your glove, it's just not that much of a stretch for them to start doing it, out of habit, to your naked hand.

Granted, Chris pointed out that he'd be using the glove when he was rearranging the cage and such. So I get the idea that this wouldn't be a frequent practice for him. But I mention it for those who might want to adopt the practice more regularly for a bird who is more of a consistent bite risk.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Uglow

Jan 19, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Thanks for sharing this Chris. I'm sorry about your hand. I'm actually terrified of Uglow's inevitable hormonal phase and this helps. Thank you.

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Brittany that looks painful!! I've got a discolor end spot on my ear where Parker once got me. Amazing what we are willing to risk for these wonderful creatures!

Uglow - that is exactly why I made this video. I had that same fear, and it almost let me from getting Parker. I describe over here what it's like in the heat of the moment - http://www.parrotforums.com/eclectus/61645-how-handle-hormonal-aggressive-eclectus-video.html It's really not that bad when your hand is protected. I have no fear of the hormones now. If it helps cool the mystery surrounding handling ekkies when hormonally aggressive, then I'm glad to have done it.

Stephen - ever my mentor, thank you for the feedback :) you are right, and that's what I imply somewhat when I'm saying "last resort", and talk about more explicitly in the link above how stressful it is for the bird. Going through this, it's clear to me that when they are as bad as Parker currently is, you're better off not handling and just hanging near them. This is definitely a "only if they must be handled" situation. I don't advocate using this to take them out every day to play and cavort like nothing's different.

It sounds like an indviidual thing with the glove. I use it randomly to pick him up without issues and he steps up perfectly fine. I need to work when this settles down so that he doesn't just associate the glove with bad things.

I say it's not painful, I should caveat if he gets it just right, the jaw muscles are still extremely strong, and you can still feel a surprising amount of crushing. But it's not enough to make you stop. No bruising, no blood.

I also want to point out that this is what works for ekkies. I don't know how well this might work for similarly sized parrots like amazons and African greys.

Last edited:
OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

I'm hopeful we may turn a corner today. This morning Parker launched once at me from the cage while I first started loading his food dish. But as I started opening his curtain, turning on his tv, and feeding the fish, he settled to the top of the cage and gave out a happy "hey Parker!"

I've been doing speech training with him so he's been very chatty lately. But he hasn't said a word since this aggression started. This was the first time he has spoken in a week. We'll see when I get home from work soon :)

Thanks all for sitting through this with me. I know everyone goes through it but there's nothing that I've seen that sort of documents the progress from beginning to end. Using this thread as a diary of sorts has been not only cathartic but allowed a quick readjustment of handling for the better. Helped take the mystery out of it for me.

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
Since Parker is being bitey, and you brought up ekkie bites, I have a question. When he bites, does he just lash out and crunch quickly? Or grab on and really try to grind you with that bottom beak? When Dexter is being a butthead (which I'm seeing a lot of lately, again :( ) he grabs on and grinds that lower beak back and forth like he's trying to saw him way into the meat of my hand/finger. It hurts! Sometimes he latches on and WON'T let go until I very literally grab his lower beak with my other hand and pry him off. Is that normal or do I really have a bloodthirsty monster on my hands? (Would serve me right for naming him Dexter!)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I can't speak for Parker, but it's just a biting style that varies from one ekkie to the next. Bixby used to clamp down. Maya switches up depending on the mood. She can clamp down with murderous, constant pressure, clamp down and grind, or do rapid, staccato cutting strikes. And Jolly... well, Jolly just nibbles everyone gently. Lol!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot

Gizmo on a bad day :D

Gizmo used to clamp down, then try to adjust the hold and go again (fortunately we are not talking bleeding bites, I think only because he goes for too much skin). I wouldn't say Gizmo never bites now, but he went through a phase where he was getting worse. The technique that worked for me was when he would bite, I would hold his top beak with my thumb and index finger (he hated it and would let go, then it was a case of riding the beak like a bull, not forcing his head, just moving with it). I found he soon decided that he couldn't win the bite game. The hardest part was being prepared to take that initial bite without reacting (not an easy thing to do).

Fortunately Pebbles is not a biter, I don't think this technique would work with Pebbles, she holds onto things and doesn't let go, she will virtually hang from her beak rather than give up something she shouldn't have:D

Chris, not suggesting this technique for you right now, Parker probably has the hormones to out manoeuvre you:eek:, but perhaps worth trying with Dexter, if your willing to risk the bite.

Clearly the main thing to emphasise should anyone try this, the hand follows the head, not restrains it, if your fingers get thrown off the bull, be prepared to go again if he bites again, and be prepared for the fake bite too, and back away if he stops biting the other hand before you get your fingers on his beak (it's not a retaliation technique, it's a case of this is what happens when you are biting me).

Last edited:
OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Cameron, I'm in stitches I love that photo! I e actually tried you technique in the past, thinking it's what Mark was talking about when he says "control the beak with two fingers". It only the beak-grabbing hand bit😣

Dexmom, Parker is a grab-hold-crush kind of biter. The pressure he exerts is insane!

We have progress! He's been couped up for 2 days so I was determined to let him out for an hour. I let him out onto the door, he bite me once and stepped up, which got him put back into his cage for 10 minutes. Second attempt he stepped up without any problem.

So out he was. I limited the handling, and he only growled twice when I set him down, never when walking by. I admit I don't trust him yet so I used the glove. Maybe one or two more days of that and I can put it away.

Eddie remarked, this was the fastest turnaround we've seen so far, and it's true! I think I sense the switch has flipped off and we're just coasting to the finish line at this point. We shall see what tomorrow brings!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Since Parker is being bitey, and you brought up ekkie bites, I have a question. When he bites, does he just lash out and crunch quickly? Or grab on and really try to grind you with that bottom beak? When Dexter is being a butthead (which I'm seeing a lot of lately, again :( ) he grabs on and grinds that lower beak back and forth like he's trying to saw him way into the meat of my hand/finger. It hurts! Sometimes he latches on and WON'T let go until I very literally grab his lower beak with my other hand and pry him off. Is that normal or do I really have a bloodthirsty monster on my hands? (Would serve me right for naming him Dexter!)

Angel, my female Ekkie never bites hard, but her former mate Sasquatch favored the grinding technique. Each movement would get progressively harder and deeper, well, at least the first time or two.

Just discovered this thread, Chris. Wow, that was a nasty bite, and probably painful. Your video clearly illustrates the Jekyl/Hyde side of birds when hormonal. Like Mr. Spock during the famed Vulcan Ponn Farr!

Hope he turns the corner soon and returns to his lovable self!!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
WOW! Chris I'm feeling for you. The worst that Venus has bit was her first night with us and she chomped a stick with us, splintering it. Since then she's been very mild, no hard bites. Mostly she pushes us away with her beak.

Please hang in the long run for Parker. I think he will mellow and be a great boy. Stephen shared some great info n his post above. Since he has Jolly and Maya, I will be hitting him up for some boy/girl info on how those two are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
SI Eclectus (Ruby) - 11 / Eclectus (Wrangler) - 7 / Eclectus (Pinto) - 6 /
Red Sided Eclectus (Oliver) - 4 mos. /
White Bellied Caique (Dan) - 2 /
Foster Congo African Grey (Molly) - 6
On the pic I posted, the lower bite was the one that bruised the bone. She got all the way around the bone and the tip of her beak got right into the webbing. One of the worst bites only because of the bruised bone. The scar higher on my thumb was her normal jerk bird bite. She is a jerk.

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

No worries Tracey! Like I said, I'm not flustered or anything. I do want my sweet little dinosaur back but this isn't anything I'm dumping him over. He's stuck with me.

I'm watching your trials and tribulations with Venus recently. I really hope your vet relents on the Luperon. I'm frustrated just reading your stories!

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
OH!! That picture of Gizmo just made my choke on my coffee! I'll be chuckling about that all day. Now I want another ekkie so I can name him Hulk LOL.

Glad to hear mine is not the only one that has a vice grip bite and isn't shy to use it. I'm pretty good at avoiding bites at this point, but sometimes he plays like he's going to step up, lean in all cozy like, then CHOMP out of nowhere. I don't think he's hormonal yet at just over 1 year old, but he can certainly be moody! I think Scott nailed it with the Ponn Farr comparison, I'm totally stealing that reference.

I'm glad Parker seems to be finishing up his evil cycle and returning to his lovable self. Can he text Dexter and tell him to stop being mad at Mommy now?

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

And the sweet angel has returned! So far no bites or lunges at all tonight.

To catalog the ramp down of hormones:

1) the day I noticed a slight reduction in aggression (the talking mentioned above, two days ago), I reasoned he needed to come out of his cage for a little bit. So I use the glove that night when we got home from work and let him sit out on his stand for an hour before bedtime. He was still aggressive here and there but it was manageable. Because of this I kept handling to a minimum.

2) The next day (yesterday) he got even more time out, about two hours out of cage. Only a single bite all day.

3) today, no biting, no charging, no beak banging on the cage. So far it's as if the last five days have never happened.

It's absolutely incredible how quickly this de-escalated. From peak aggression to absolutely nothing was four days. I have decided that I will use the glove until I have a full day of no bites. The day after that, I will drop it. I suppose I'm lucky because Parker doesn't actually show an interest in going after this club glove. I have learned going through this you develop trust issues for a little while. Just because he's not biting doesn't mean there may not be one last little burst in him.

It's good to know that come this time of year he is likely to be unhandleable for about three days. What I do want to point out, interestingly, is that just before the hormones started I begin using a product called featheriffic, which is a supplement that I've read is either supposed to help induce a moult or supply nutrition to a moulting bird. it looks particularly rich in omega three, six, and nine fatty acids but I think I might have some protein as well, since developing feathers.

By coincidence I quit using this just before his peak and he descended soon thereafter. It's possible this product induced or exacerbated this hormonal bout. I just started him back on this in again, we will see what happens.

Last edited:
OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Yep it's official. I was actually able to drop the glove the second half of the night, and gave him multiple kisses on the beak. My sweetheart is back!!💗💛❤️💚💙💜💞

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
SI Eclectus (Ruby) - 11 / Eclectus (Wrangler) - 7 / Eclectus (Pinto) - 6 /
Red Sided Eclectus (Oliver) - 4 mos. /
White Bellied Caique (Dan) - 2 /
Foster Congo African Grey (Molly) - 6
That's great to hear. Can't wait until Ruby snaps out of it.

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
Chris,

That's great news!! Well done getting through it, and thanks for sharing the journey with us.

Cheers,

Cameron

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I'm jealous. That was a quick period! Venus, we need to talk, lol. I'm glad Parker is back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts