eclectus wont stop screaming!!!!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Hi sorry I can't upload a photo at the moment I will have to make a photobucket account to be able to do that..

Excuse me Labell, I am having some serious problems with my boy and he is stressing the entire household out can I please have some serious advice? I don't know what else to do. Do you have an email I can reach you at?

Sorry about this !

PM sent with my email.:)

OP
S

sykoturkey

Nov 19, 2014
Hi RubyRose.. no it's getting worse :( he is getting quite mean too!
Don't know what else to do!!!! ah.
How is your baby going?

RubyRose

Nov 9, 2014
australia
sykoturky, my baby is pretty bad. She screeches all day long. When I talk she screeches over the top of me so my kids cant hear me. It starts in the morning when I'm making breakfast. She hears the plates and the cutlery....and I guess she thinks shes getting food??? It used to be whenever she heard me cutting up food but now its anytime.
I try lots of things but I think its just something I have to ignore and treat her as if shes not screeching. My kids know not to scream at her so they walk around the house with their hands over their ears!!

Is your boy screeching all day too? Do certain things set him off?

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
sykoturky, my baby is pretty bad. She screeches all day long. When I talk she screeches over the top of me so my kids cant hear me. It starts in the morning when I'm making breakfast. She hears the plates and the cutlery....and I guess she thinks shes getting food??? It used to be whenever she heard me cutting up food but now its anytime.
I try lots of things but I think its just something I have to ignore and treat her as if shes not screeching. My kids know not to scream at her so they walk around the house with their hands over their ears!!

Is your boy screeching all day too? Do certain things set him off?

Before my coffee and most times before my eyes are completely opened in the morning I am making up the eclectus breakfast. They get in a routine of when it is and start becoming louder and louder if breakfast is delayed for any reason. They are very food orientated so yes hearing you is going to make her think she is getting food.

I must say it seems as if you want to complain about her behavior but really don't want to look at the issue causing it. Your girl is hungry! For whatever reason she stopped eating for the "breeder" it was not a positive, healthy weaning. Vos do not wean at that age...period! Something happen that caused her to refuse and who knows maybe it was something as simple as the food cooled too fast and the idiot breeder decided she no longer wanted it. Eclectus babies are very particular about the temp of their formula and actually prefer it a little warmer than most babies parrots. Now she is screaming because she was not weaned properly and it will in all likelihood continue.

I must ask and at this point I am not real concerned with hurting feelings..if your children where crying from hunger would you ignore them? Same thing.:(

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
Is your Ekki constantly caged? Do you let him eat till he stops on his own? My Ekki is very quiet except for after he eats than he just talks and whistles up a storm. The only other time he is vocal is when it is noisey in the house, people over or vacuum cleaner running.
What are you feeding him exactly?

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
Also Mango is only caged when we are not home. He kinda puts himself to bed around 8:30, 9. Just leaves us goes in his cage to his favorite perch and does some beak grinding till the sandman sneaks up on him.

RubyRose

Nov 9, 2014
australia
label..a bit harsh dont you think???
My girl gets a huge bowl of food first thing in the morning before anyone gets their breakfast. She is given fresh food throughout the day and on hot days her food is replenished many times.
It is not my fault that she was weaned early. I got her from a breeder and thought i was doing the right thing by placing a deposit on her before she was weaned and picking her up after they finished feeding her. Usually I request to finish off the hand rearing process.
She is not hungry she is craving constant attention. Her crop is full. She screeches to noise like banging food bowls and me calling out to the kids.
Im NOT after advise from you, im simply replying to sykoturky's thread. And I'm not complaining about her behavior, as you can see I havent started a thread on it.

My kids walk around the house with their hands over their ears because they have autism and dont like the noise.

Im not ignoring my bird, just the screeching.

Sykoturky...I wish you the very best with your boy. I hope you can sort out his screaming. I will be reading this post but no longer replying.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
My girl gets a huge bowl of food first thing in the morning before anyone gets their breakfast. She is given fresh food throughout the day and on hot days her food is replenished many times.
It is not my fault that she was weaned early. I got her from a breeder and thought i was doing the right thing by placing a deposit on her before she was weaned and picking her up after they finished feeding her. Usually I request to finish off the hand rearing process.
She is not hungry she is craving constant attention. Her crop is full. She screeches to noise like banging food bowls and me calling out to the kids.
Im NOT after advise from you, im simply replying to sykoturky's thread. And I'm not complaining about her behavior, as you can see I havent started a thread on it.

My kids walk around the house with their hands over their ears because they have autism and dont like the noise.

Im not ignoring my bird, just the screeching.

Sykoturky...I wish you the very best with your boy. I hope you can sort out his screaming. I will be reading this post but no longer replying.

I can assure you that I will never post on anything of yours again either. Good luck with your girl...for her sake I truly mean that.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
....Im NOT after advise from you, ......

You are on an open, PUBLIC forum. People don't get to pick and choose who answers their questions, and/or responds to their posts.

Labell (Laura) is one of our MOST experienced Ekki owners, and there was nothing harsh about her post. :)

RubyRose

Nov 9, 2014
australia
Thats fair enough.
I am sorry for what I wrote in in my posts.
I realise I dont know anything about eclectus and my girl would be better in the hands of a more experienced owner.
I returned her to the breeder.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I am so sorry. I know that was hard for you.

I want to thank you for being honest with your experience. I think the Ekkies are beautiful birds but I know that with my disabilities I'm just not able to have one. I just know that there will be some days when I can't give them the fresh food that they need at the time they want it.

Again, thank you for sharing as painful as it must be.

MCaniks

Nov 2, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
Parrots
2 X SI Eclectus Ruby and Rocky
Hi Sykoturkey,

I thought I'd add my two cents to this one..

Hang in there, this behavior is normal and happens with all eckys. Some get over it quickly but others don't unfortunately and it can get very overwhelming at times.

So we know he wants something... either it's conform to be with that special person that he's bonded with and sees as a security blanket or he needs to get back on his formula which means you need to go through the weaning process again. So I suggest you give him his night feeding until he decides he no longer wants it. Once you've eliminated hunger as the cause of his screaming then you can start looking at other reasons.

I had this issue with my girl Ruby for some time and I realised she was screaming because she wanted to be with me (I was her security blanket). She would go nuts as soon as she heard my voice or seen me and it was unbearable, I knew hunger wasn't the reason because I handreared her myself so I decided to put a stand in the living room and have her sit on it with a few exciting colourful toys she could play with so she could interact or watch TV with us as a family. I'd put a bag of small toys infront of her and watch her stick her head in to pick out her favorites. Try and keep him occupied with colours, balls, rings anything that looks interesting..

Good luck and keep us posted

Most Reactions

Latest posts