Eggs and Shells

featherhead

Apr 24, 2010
Media
Warwick NY
Parrots
Dakota-B/G Marley-B/G Bernie-Goffin Too Bubba-Cag Kokomo-Cag Maddan-B/F Amazon Beckie-S I Eclectus 3Teils
If you give your birds eggs how do you give them it hard boiled or scramble and if you give them the shell do you leave it on the egg if it is hard boiled or do you chop it up and add it to the pan if you give it to them scramble

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I hard boil mine then mush it up with chilli flakes or cayenne pepper.... shell and all. I heard somewhere you need to boil them for about 1/2hour to kill something.... sorry can't remember what. I'm not sure if that's true but i do it just incase

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hard boil the egg as well for 1/2 hour. Mash it up, shells and all, then add little bit of chilli's. Mishka always thinks it's Christmas, when eating the egg. She rips it apart, making the biggest mess, but that's part of the enjoyment.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I serve the egg with no shell. I dry out the shells and crumble them up on other food. I use a mix of sesame seeds in the shell, celery seeds, herb salad, pumpkin seeds and a cinnamon stick. Once in a while I will add a little bit of Volkman's sunflower free seed mix. Sound good??

OP
featherhead

featherhead

Apr 24, 2010
Media
Warwick NY
Parrots
Dakota-B/G Marley-B/G Bernie-Goffin Too Bubba-Cag Kokomo-Cag Maddan-B/F Amazon Beckie-S I Eclectus 3Teils
Sounds good to me when do we eat lol THANKS :red:

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka

My husband came outside the other day eating a piece of "birdie bread" asking if I want a slice (not realising what it was). I'm guessing he didn't get the section that had the chilli, sweet potato & egg shell

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

My husband came outside the other day eating a piece of "birdie bread" asking if I want a slice (not realising what it was). I'm guessing he didn't get the section that had the chilli, sweet potato & egg shell

I have had my fair share of "chilli burn" on my lips...
I forget and kiss Mishka, eina, boy it does burn...:eek:

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
So what are we killing by cooking the eggs so long? I have "access" to some food safety staff and would like to check with them, since cooking some foods so long does more damage than good. If it's salmanella, it's the cooking temp, not the cooking time.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
You can't vary the temperature of boiling water (at least not much, salt will give you a few degrees). But you can very the time which allows the eggs to cook through.

No matter how hot the water is if they aren't cooked for a long time the inside of the egg may hardly even warm up.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
You can't vary the temperature of boiling water (at least not much, salt will give you a few degrees). But you can very the time which allows the eggs to cook through.

No matter how hot the water is if they aren't cooked for a long time the inside of the egg may hardly even warm up.

A temp of 145F kills salmonella and virtually all other bacteria. Basically, if the yolk is completely solid (that yucky dry kind of solid), the proper temp has been reached - usually 10-15 min in rapidly boiling water - meaning the time the water has been rapidly boiling, not the time the egg has been in the pan with the water.

Of course, 10 min or 30 min doesn't really matter in the long run as long as the egg is completely solid. I really wanted to make sure I haven't been doing anything that may harm my birds...since I had never heard the 30 min rule.

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
So what are we killing by cooking the eggs so long? I have "access" to some food safety staff and would like to check with them, since cooking some foods so long does more damage than good. If it's salmanella, it's the cooking temp, not the cooking time.

I'm sorry I can't remember but it probably was Salmonella. I think it's just a precaution to make sure as AG said the egg is heated right through. If the salmonella is sitting right in the centre of the egg the heat has time to get to it. I know the risks are extemely low but personally I'd rather be safe than sorry. I think the damage of cooking it for so long at worst would be possibly coagulating the proteins but I'm not sure @ what temp that would happen.

Most Reactions