Eggs!!

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I presume all the above are snakes ? Yes ? No? Great thst you see signs of life in 8 of the eggs. Hope all 8 hatch out for you and perhaps number 9 will surprise you yet and hatch out too. Is this your first time hatching baby snakes out or just your first time using the incubator. Best of Luck with your venture.... its really interesting :)

Yes except for the two bearded dragons. First time hatching snakes! I'm trying not to open the incubator often since I don't want the temperatures moving around too much. Self control is hard though!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Tegus are now running wild in south Florida and they are mean. An officer shot one at a cousin's house in palm beach. Kids were playing and the tegu appeared. Parents called animal control, they responded and an officer. The Tegu was charging them and the officer ended up shooting it.

If you get a Tegu, please share with us. I'll definitely follow that thread. I worked in San Juan Puerto Rico for a few months and saw iguanas everywhere, even as road kill. At the hotel I stayed at, I'd sit on the beach and these blue lizards about 8 - 12 inches long would come to you to see what you had for them. I loved it, but lots of guests didn't, lol!

Last edited:

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
I have to google Tegu to see what they are....how uneducated I am :)

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Tegus are now running wild in south Florida and they are mean. An officer shot one at a cousin's house in palm beach. Kids were playing and the tegu appeared. Parents called animal control, they responded and an officer. The Tegu was charging them and the officer ended up shooting it.

If you get a Tegu, please share with us. I'll definitely follow that thread. I worked in San Juan Puerto Rico for a few months and saw iguanas everywhere, even as road kill. At the hotel I stayed at, I'd sit on the beach and these blue lizards about 8 - 12 inches long would come to you to see what you had for them. I loved it, but lots of guests didn't, lol!

Some of the tegus are quite mean. The argentines are generally pretty nice but if you stumble near a nest or they feel threatened they get aggressive. They actually build a nest and protect it so I wouldn't be surprised if there had been a nest in the area.

I have to google Tegu to see what they are....how uneducated I am :)

More a matter of what interested you until now lol

I like them but its more a matter of taking care of it and room. I generally find lizards to be a pain to take care of for some reason:20:

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
So for a brief period last month the eggs started to dimple:eek:
baGI4jg.jpg

Luckily the problem was fixed fairly quickly and they looked better after a week or so. We are now on day 53. Getting close:D They might start coming out next week but I expect them closer to July 28ish.
PnvA72I.jpg

BSKfvN5.jpg

2eeYGT9.jpg

Vj2B7As.jpg

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Are the shells a leathery texture? If they can dent in then back out again I'm thinking they can't be brittle and hard. What made them dimple, and how did you fix it? Was it the humidity that had to be adjusted?

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Gracie - CAG | Rookie - BRHP
lol Julie - I had those same (and more questions)
I was so curious about it that I googled the daylights out of dimpled snake eggs & spent a few hours reading up all about them, the humidity levels, the substrates good for moisture etc.

It was so intriguing... now I wanna know which process Riddick used :)

Thanks for sharing - I can't wait for hatch day(s)!!

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
They have a soft shell I'm not sure leathery is the right description but they aren't hard!

Humidity is 100%. The problem was the substrate. I used vermiculite like quite a few but it wasn't quite wet enough and it had dried out too much. I moved the eggs out (much heavier than I was expecting the pile to be!) and dumped water in to get everything wet again. Buried the eggs a little and tossed moss on top. And after two weeks they were popped back out and looking good.

Hopefully everyone hatches. It's hard to candle them with the way they are all attached so I can't tell anymore if they are all still good. They all look like they are fine none of the eggs have collapsed or developed mold. I still see veins in them all but it's hard to tell besides a vein or two what's in them since I can't get to the opposite side of the shell to see if there is anything in some of them. Some of them it's obvious there is a creature in there and I've seen movement in one or two that are obvious. I going to have to wait it out a bit longer:32:

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Here they come...slowly of course...why they can't just pop out so I can see them all already I don't know.
nIfYyKz.jpg

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
I have a second one that broke through. This one is most definitely albino. I think the first one is albino but the hole isn't big enough for me to be sure on color!

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
They are taking a long time...these pictures are from an hours or so ago but I just peeked again and there is only one egg now without marks or breaks on it. I expect that I will see heads poking out of them all soon!
0CBg3Bs.jpg

w24ERt6.jpg

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I agree, exciting seeing this hatching. I've been looking out for your updates, keep them coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
The last one has made a slit in their egg! Hopefully they start coming out soon. For now they are just peeking out through the shell like do I really have to join the world....

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Lol here is the one I just pulled the flap back to peek at more. Though I definitely feel as if I got cursed out and glared at for it:52:
qJUzutl.jpg

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Gracie - CAG | Rookie - BRHP
Lol here is the one I just pulled the flap back to peek at more. Though I definitely feel as if I got cursed out and glared at for it:52:
qJUzutl.jpg

LOL!!! I'd say you are 100% correct - you're getting the evil lil baby snake eye. How cute tho :) I'd imagine you are going out of your skin dying to see the lil ones emerge! Not long now.

Thanks for sharing - it's been super fascinating you have some gorgeous snakes that's for sure.

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
And after that photo this one decided to come out to yell at me for the disturbance!
UiecTJw.jpg

e2wix97.jpg

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Albino #2 :)
ppZqsfM.jpg

jlUHRsa.jpg

IAp77IJ.jpg

Most Reactions