emailed to Kali's breeder.

OP
M

Macawlover12

Feb 7, 2014
Caret, VA
Parrots
Kali-Catalina Macaw
Even if you do choose to clip at some point in the future, that should be your choice at that time. I do agree she should learn how to fly as a baby, and then you can decide which one works better as she gets older. I think it's harder for them to learn the older they get, but they will never forget once they know.

From what we understand, Kiwi never fledged. We got him at 10 y/o, kept him clipped for a few years, but by the time he had the muscle built up and flight feathers grown back (at 16 y/o) he just wouldn't learn. We tried every way we could think of to get him to fly, but it ended up being more traumatizing for him than anything. There is just no concept of flight for him. He likes "flying" by flapping his wings furiously and holding onto our hand for dear life while we run him around the room, but thats probably as close as he will ever get. IF we ever got a baby, I would want them to at least know how to fly, and if clipping was appropriate for whatever reason, then we could make that choice. But for a bird to have no concept of flight whatsoever, it's really not a good thing. And while young birds can still pick it up easily enough if they are clipped as babies, what if you discover you want to keep her clipped for whatever reason, and then she just never learns? I really hope that breeder listens and Kali at least learns (and hopefully becomes a very proficient and strong flyer;))
Kiwi you are full of great advice. The breeder does allow them to become fully flighted before she clips. I want to make that clear. She isnt doing anything wrong by clipping the wings, when she clips them. (I know that is still a controversial subject) it is just my preference not to have them done at all. I want to get started on her training with the aviator harness. I want her to get into the flow of those routines while she is a baby.
If she decides to clip the wings... I will accept it.
I will just have to wait for her feathers to grow back.

I just wanted to vent my thoughts somewhere.

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Oh no, this really upsets me! I was planning on evetually going through the same breeder to get a galah. I recognize Kali from the website. I have heard great things about her, but every other breeder I talked to was willing to leave a bird's wings unclipped as long as I was aware of the risks. That's how it should be, in my opinion. I emailed her a while ago about this very issue and never heard back. Now I know why. It's extremely important for the bird's mental and physical health to remain flighted, especially considering the species and their tendency to become overweight and phobic. Recall training is so much easier to work on with a young bird. I don't understand why any breeder wouldn't be willing to honor the customer's request in this situation. That's a dealbreaker for me. I hope Kali gets to keep her wings!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Everette, there is ZERO doubt in my mind that you picked a FANTASTIC, caring, and loving breeder, and that Kali will be a healthy, well adjusted, happy big mac. :)

Whatever the breeder decides to do with your email, please continue to have confidence in here....I know I do. :)

OP
M

Macawlover12

Feb 7, 2014
Caret, VA
Parrots
Kali-Catalina Macaw
I hope she keeps them to. I know everyone has a different side on this issue and I should have asked about this in the first place. The other breeders in Virginia, I did not like. I do think she is one of the top breeders here in the state. I had read some very negative things about a couple of them. I have not seen anything negative about her though and I have nothing negative to say. As I said, I should have asked but I assumed (which is dumb to do) that I would have a choice. I still have not heard back from her yet. If I don't I will call her tomorrow evening.

OP
M

Macawlover12

Feb 7, 2014
Caret, VA
Parrots
Kali-Catalina Macaw
Everette, there is ZERO doubt in my mind that you picked a FANTASTIC, caring, and loving breeder, and that Kali will be a healthy, well adjusted, happy big mac. :)

Whatever the breeder decides to do with your email, please continue to have confidence in here....I know I do. :)
Wendy,
I have not lost confidence in her. She is a great breeder and out shined the others. Kali is a wonderful baby and I know it will work out either way. I just am hoping it is to keep the wings. I can still work with the harness training and such with the wings clipped, but its just a preference. I was just venting my thoughts on here and even though its a little frustrating. If she gets back to me and says she will clip, I will accept it. I just wanted her to know I am prepared and have a backup plan if her being unclipped didn't work.
I am a little anxious to hear back.

OP
M

Macawlover12

Feb 7, 2014
Caret, VA
Parrots
Kali-Catalina Macaw
I wanted to add that I am in no way discrediting this breeder. I have had a great experience with her and even if the wings get clipped. I would have probably still chosen her over the rest. I don't want this thread to come across that way at all. I was just talking out my thoughts and feelings.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Even if you do choose to clip at some point in the future, that should be your choice at that time. I do agree she should learn how to fly as a baby, and then you can decide which one works better as she gets older. I think it's harder for them to learn the older they get, but they will never forget once they know.

From what we understand, Kiwi never fledged. We got him at 10 y/o, kept him clipped for a few years, but by the time he had the muscle built up and flight feathers grown back (at 16 y/o) he just wouldn't learn. We tried every way we could think of to get him to fly, but it ended up being more traumatizing for him than anything. There is just no concept of flight for him. He likes "flying" by flapping his wings furiously and holding onto our hand for dear life while we run him around the room, but thats probably as close as he will ever get. IF we ever got a baby, I would want them to at least know how to fly, and if clipping was appropriate for whatever reason, then we could make that choice. But for a bird to have no concept of flight whatsoever, it's really not a good thing. And while young birds can still pick it up easily enough if they are clipped as babies, what if you discover you want to keep her clipped for whatever reason, and then she just never learns? I really hope that breeder listens and Kali at least learns (and hopefully becomes a very proficient and strong flyer;))

This is exactly the case with Robin my Red Bellied parrot too.
I bought him over 19 years ago from a bird store, and I could tell that he never fledged.
So, the decision for "clipping or not" sometimes is dictated by circumstance. That being said, I fully understand the benefit and reasons for keeping flighted.

IMO, sometimes with "hot" topics and controversial subjects such as this, different posts with different situations actually might provoke thought and the realization that some topics might not be as 'black and white' as they seem. :)

Good luck that Kali's breeder practices "good customer service" to you in this aspect also. It sounds like Kali is already a very lucky bird, with an owner set to provide her every happiness above and beyond :)

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I wonder if it is different with big macaws, but I think my green cheek conure actually learned to fly while being clipped. :) We got him from Petsmart 2 days after he arrived from the breeder, already clipped, so they probably didn't spent any time on teaching him to fly. He gradually started flying, and now he flies quite well. I encourage him to fly, but he loves it anyway. :)
I really don't see any reason for your breeder clipping the wings of the bird if you asked her NOT to do so…

OP
M

Macawlover12

Feb 7, 2014
Caret, VA
Parrots
Kali-Catalina Macaw
I just wanted to post an update.
Kali's breeder has said she will not clip her wings (for now) this time instead of just telling me that other buyers have called and complained about the trainability of the bird. She went more in depth to the dangers:orange: at her own home. Both to the bird and to her things.
I pray Kali behaves herself and doesn't force her to clip! I feel a little bad for putting her through all this extra work. I am still hoping for an unclipped baby. But if she is clipped I have a better understanding why she did it.

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Awesome update, Everette!! :D Thanks for letting us all know.

I know you must be counting down the days soon until you bring your gorgeous Kali-girl home. :D

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
I'm glad to hear that worked out. :) True, she might have to keep a closer watch on Kali, but with just a little extra training flighted birds are usually pretty good about avoiding mirrors/windows and areas that are off limits. Hopefully she won't give in too easily.

OP
M

Macawlover12

Feb 7, 2014
Caret, VA
Parrots
Kali-Catalina Macaw
Awesome update, Everette!! :D Thanks for letting us all know.

I know you must be counting down the days soon until you bring your gorgeous Kali-girl home. :D

I am really getting anxious now. Kali is one of my main thoughts and I am always trying to think of ways to make her life better.
I called the breeder today because she was looking for volunteers to help out and socialize the birds. I was planning another visit in mid May, so I offered to help out with her chores and then visit with Kali. It will give me a chance to play around with a bunch of birds and I dont mind working on cleaning stuff up(I did a ton of that at the sanctuaries) I will also bring a bag of whole nuts for Kali and her other birds to share:)
I can't wait to visit again!!! This should be my last visit..after this, she should be about ready to come home. God I am so anxious to get her home :-$

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sounds awesome! What great news!!!!!

And I bet it would be fun to volunteer and play with all the birds! :)

Most Reactions