Emerald Parrot

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird~Precious, Sennie~Snoopy,Hahns Macaw~Fiona
Is the brown headed parrot a one person bird or a all person bird like the Meyers? I ask because I will be visiting my breeder very soon. I already had a deposit on a female Ekkie but I have changed my mind. My choices now are male red bellied, male Meyers or a male brown headed parrot. I will be choosing two birds. I have had past experience with the Meyers and it is #1 on my list. I am just having hard time choosing between the Red bellied and the Emerald parrot. One is known as a great talker while the other is known for it's sweet tender personality. If any of you have had any experience now will be good time. This two new birds will actually complete my flock. A close friend of mine talked some sense into me. At one point was thinking of have ten birds. But all the time, cleaning, food, toys and money out weighed the benefits.

OP
F

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
I have changed my mind again! The Ekkie is the right choice after all. I just finished two hours of cleaning 3 bird cages. The thought of cleaning 5 cages is too much for me. I hate my Senegals cage it takes the longest to clean. I will use it as out door cage and next week buy him a new one. One that is easy to clean. I am glad I made the right choice. So many people rush into getting birds but then end up rehoming them because of the hard work that it involves.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Take your time, lol, no reason to jump to conclusions, meet each bird your interested in first to see their reactions to you and if they bond. If you're not going to see the exact bird you are interested in buying look at a couple different birds of each species. Each bird is different. I've met many B&G that hated men, biut when I got one of my own it hated women! I have had one one person RFM but my new one loves everyone. I have met 10 or so nippy stubborn goffin cockatoos, but the one we got was a super cuddler and submissive.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I have a female redbellied parrot about 7 plus mo old and she loves to cuddle and snuggle and will come off her cage to wander the house looking for a human. She also is relativly quiet and laidback. She whistles and clicks and I think is trying to talk. She gives great birdie kisses and then follows up with a wolfwhistle. I also think an eclectras would be fun to have but I like the smaller size parrots:D

OP
F

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
I do a lot of research in the species that interests me. I already knew what I was getting into with the Meyers. The red bellied is a clown, likes to cuddle and goes through a nipping stage. It also gets scared if you chase it. The Emerald parrot has a sweet deposition and also likes solidarity. I just wanted to know if it was a one person bird? There is not a bird club in my area so I rely on you guys for information. The Ekkie is the best choice for me because it has the potential to talk and is not a one person bird. I love parrots very much. However I had to curb my desires because I would of been doing injustice to myself and the birds if I grew my flock to ten birds. Parrots get rehomed way too many times. Which in reality is very sad. A bonded bird should not be discarded because all of sudden it does not fit our life style. When I chose a bird I have to be honest to myself and make the best decision.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Put up a thread asking asking for opinions on emarld birds. That may get more feedback

OP
F

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
I have changed my mind again! I did research on the female and found a lot of negatives about them. So I tried to convince my wife to get a male Ekkie since they are a better fit for our family. Wifey had her heart set on a female Ekkie. So to come to a comprise we ended up agreeing on two birds. Male Meyers for her and male red bellied for me. Now we are both happy.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Just read your latest post and personally I think you guys are making a great choice Can't wait for pictures:D

OP
F

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
The birds will be hatched around December or January so the pictures will have to wait by then I should have my I phone 5 and a new Android phone for wifey. I will ask my daughter to help post the pictures. I am not rehearsed in the tech area. Thanks for the support.

Most Reactions