English budgie is home!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Is Twigs already in the new flight cage? I know it must be awful waiting for Mink's quarantine to be over. Lol, sounds like Twigs is more than ready to meet his new friend in person.

You really chose an adorable name and it fits her so well.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thank you Allee. Twigs isn't in the new cage yet. I still have to finish setting it up. Thankfully I already had many things, so it saved me from needing to buy everything, so that was nice. Budgie things are so much cheaper anyway :). I even used an old (but very nice) sandblasted manzanita branch that I used 20 something years ago with finches... It had a couple spots of 20 year old poop that was petrified on there, and it was hard to remove lol!

I also need to buy 2 more of those little plastic finch/budgie food containers. Sounds easy right? 3 stores including Petco and Petsmart were out of the kind I wanted. I couldn't believe it!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Okay, here's more pics of Mink :)

Not much variety in the pics lol, until she could get around and "do" more things.
Check out the cute eyes hidden under there! It will be interesting to see her next to Twigs. The size difference and different look. Almost seems like the American and English are two different species.

There are some imperfect areas on her front where the vet took some feathers for the DNA test. Free vet exam and discounted other services from getting her at the certain store.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Double flight cage! Comes with a removable divider in the middle. It's sitting in the hallway until things are rearranged for it to fit. Twigs will be on the left, and he will have his 2 favorite swings in there too. Spoiled little budgies!

It has several bent areas (which I was able to fix in most places) or areas where the quality isn't the greatest, but overall I'm satisfied with it. Was a good deal too.

Last edited:

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Oh Mink is so cute and what a great cage for her and Twigs I am sure they will love it.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I just can't get over how many beautiful colours Mink has! Fantastic name for her:) And man, what a palace of a cage!

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
Mink is so beatiful. I love the double flight cage. This makes me want a budgie even more. I have an extra cage that will do (although I would ideally want a larger one). The only problem is I am thinking of getting Kalypso a tiel friend. Her cage can hold a couple more but I just want one more. Would a same-sex friend for Kalypso my tiel effect her bond with me? And if yes, how so?

ShaunaR

Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pixie the White Bellied Caique
I like Charlotte for a girl just like the new Princess. What gorgeous coloring too! Such a royal looking bird! Congrats Julie, what a lucky bird!
Shauna

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Mink is so beatiful. I love the double flight cage. This makes me want a budgie even more. I have an extra cage that will do (although I would ideally want a larger one). The only problem is I am thinking of getting Kalypso a tiel friend. Her cage can hold a couple more but I just want one more. Would a same-sex friend for Kalypso my tiel effect her bond with me? And if yes, how so?

Logan, I'm not sure about Cockatiels. When Pix (Budgie) was alive, he was bonded to Twigs, yet he became fairly tame without even working with him much. With more consistent handling I think he would have become very tame regardless of his bond to Twigs. Also has to do with the individual's personality. Twigs is still hands off 2 1/2 years later, and while he is not scared of us, and will get close, and listen to verbal commands, he never had the desire to become hand tame.

Also from my personal experience for what that's worth, I find once you have a parrot who is tame and bonded with you, if that bird makes friends with another bird, it shouldn't affect their relationship with you. Maybe there are circumstances where it could affect things, for example if you let them breed (though I know you wouldn't ;)).

Terry and Shauna, about her color, I love it too. I find the numerous budgie mutations fascinating... I found she is a olive green/single factor violet/goldenface, and maybe cinnamon. Not that anyone else cares lol :D

This cage will truly be a "flight cage" where they will be able to fly inside, especially without the divider in place. Mink will have to grow out. She was clipped very short at the store before I met her.

Last edited:

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
This is the update and follow up to this thread :).
http://www.parrotforums.com/budgies-parakeets-cockatiels/53295-twigs-finally-gets-new-companion.html

So he/she came home today and had a vet visit as well. This baby was handfed and is tame! They kept the baby and the sibling until they were weaned for over a week, maintaining weight, AND even eating broccoli and other fresh foods. (what store does all that?!) I was impressed.

So sweet and adorable. Much bigger and fluffier than Twigs the American keet. They're calling from the other room to each other. ;)

One of the vet tests I had done was DNA sexing. From what I've read about the cere appearance of babies, I'm thinking female. We'll see.

Still as of now, no name. I was originally thinking Olive, since the color upon first glance is olive. In good light it's actually a blue wash over yellow, and might change further after the first molt, so I hesitate to base the name on color.
Here's the cute baby!

Now isn't that a ham for the camera! Already modeling for the camera, how cute is that.

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
Thank you, Julie. I would never let them breed and would get a same-sex tiel as Kalypso. I would try to establish a bond with the other bird during quarantine and before they are in the same cage, which is what I want but you never know.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
:62:
Okay, here's more pics of Mink :)

Not much variety in the pics lol, until she could get around and "do" more things.
Check out the cute eyes hidden under there! It will be interesting to see her next to Twigs. The size difference and different look. Almost seems like the American and English are two different species.

There are some imperfect areas on her front where the vet took some feathers for the DNA test. Free vet exam and discounted other services from getting her at the certain store.

Mink is absolutely adorable, Julie! Look at that sweet little face.

They are going to LOVE their flight cage/budgie palace, can't wait to see what they think of each other.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Mink is beautiful, Julie! And I love the look of that flight cage! Looking forward to seeing them together and enjoying their new digs.

Most Reactions

Latest posts