Don't tame it if you want to sell it!

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
2 year old green parakeet named Byrdie.
A local breeder promised I could have first pick from her violet colored, single factor spangle, clear wing clutch. I was so excited, I purchased a cage in anticipation.

I was ready and waiting, except for one small green problem: the cage-seller surprised me with a tenant. Inside the cage was a two year old, yellow/green male budgie. That's my least favorite color because it's so ordinary.

She stated she didn't have time for the little guy she named Byrdie.

I felt sorry for the little guy who had no idea his life was about to drastically change. But my plan for the cage did NOT include Byrdie.

First I googled to see if he could survive if I turned him loose. We live near Galveston. Nope, he wouldn't survive. I hated moving him to another home again, but I didn't choose him. He wasn't my bird, but I was responsible to help him get a good home.

I felt Byrdie's common green/yellow color was going make him hard to rehome. So, while waiting for my dream bird, I decided to practice working on Byrdie. I'd see if I could get him off an 'all seed' diet and teach him to step up on command. I believed it would make him more desirable to rehome if he was tame.

That was a BIG mistake! While I was working on Byrdie, Byrdie was working on me!

After 2 weeks, he shocked me by flying across the room to me! I actually caught it on video. I attached the video for y'all to watch.

Then he delighted me by accepting different foods; as long as I held them in my hand (with him on my finger). So far, he's eaten boiled egg, spinach, apple, orange, and sprouted seeds.

Two weeks after he flew to me, while he was sitting on my shoulder, he began talking! He said, "What 'cha doin? Byrdie Bird. Good boy sweet bird." That did it.

I was outsmarted by the little stinker! Now I won't be getting a beautiful violet spangle baby because to continue talking, Byrdie has to be an only bird. I'm disappointed 💔 about the baby, but if I got it, I'd have to give up Byrdie. I can't do it.

I've fallen in ❤️ love with an ordinary colored, extraordinary budgie. I didn't choose him, HE chose me! 💞

You know what they say, "You can't judge a bird by it's color."😂😂😂

Attachments

• 20230822_200717.mp4
    9.6 MB

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Aww what a cutie! I have two green budgies and I think they’re beautiful. (Actually, all of my birds are green since I also have a green Quaker parrot, lol!) How wonderful that you decided to accept Byrdie’s friendship. I don’t know about him needing to be an “ only bird” in order to remain friendly and chatty towards you. I had my first budgie, Bogey, for almost a year as an only bird and he would step up, land on my head etc. He never talked but many budgies don’t. However, after I got him a friend, Bogey still remained pretty friendly with me. So getting a second budgie ( if you really want to) would not necessarily ruin your relationship with Byrdie. Either way, I’m so happy that Byrdie convinced you to keep him! What a clever fellow! Here are my two green budgies, Cooper and Fay:

Attachments

• IMG_0225.jpeg
    IMG_0225.jpeg
    413.1 KB · Views: 24
OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
Thanks for not being offended by my color preference. 🙃 lol

I didn't get to see Byrdie's sweet little personality when I first got him. I had an untame bonded pair in addition to him. I was hoping for one clutch of babies so I could keep one to tame. They failed to consumate their marriage, and the hen never laid eggs. I think they may have been too old; possibly breeder discards? Their diet was seeds only, but eventually they accepted boiled egg and egg food.

Byrdie was so attracted by them, he had no interest in me. When he had free flight, he'd go around me, straight to their cage like a magnet. He ignored new foods too, just like the others.

The old pair was territorial and didn't like him, so I found a new home for them a few weeks ago. That's when Byrdie turned to me for attention.

As far as getting the spangle baby I want, Byrdie hasn't been alone with me long enough to be 'faithful' to me, in my opinion. You said you had yours a year before getting another one, right?

I think you are correct in that if I wait until he's securely bonded with me, I could probably add a baby. But I believe Byrdie would stop learning new words and sentences.

From what I've read about talking budgies:
1. Rarely does a budgie talk if kept in a flock
2. A talking budgie doesn't continue learning new words if they get another parakeet to 'talk' to. The second parakeet will mimic words from the first, but no more.

Of course there are always exceptions.

I had a talking budgie 25 years ago. I got him as a baby. I also had a CAG at the same time. Both talked, but they didn't say the same things. They didn't mimic each other so one wasn't teaching the other. Of course they were different species. I never let them out at the same time, and neither tried to visit the other's cage. They were in different rooms, but could see each other.

Byrdie is different than my original parakeet. He would be a 'frequent flyer' kind of visitor! 😂 I'm going to keep him as a solo for awhile to see if he continues to add to his vocabulary. He said 'hello' last night.

If he stops adding words, I'll rethink getting a spangle.

I'm home 24/7 so Birdie is never alone. I open his cage door in the morning and close it at night unless something is going on. He has multiple feeding stations in both cages plus a playpen on top of one. He usually flies a few laps through the house once or twice a day. The rest of his time is spent going back and forth between his two cages, the play area, or with me (but only when I invite him). I'm hoping he just flies to me on his own one day. So far, that hasn't happened. 😕 Do your two fly to you on their own? Tell me about them. 🙂

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
Lemon line citrine color budgies are beautiful !
Sigh...I wish I felt the same way as you, especially since I have grown to love the little fellow and will be with him the rest of his/my life. 😪

I'm just not an admirer of those colors, probably because I'm tired of that combo since I've see it all my life.

I appreciate the wide range of mutated colors available these days, and if it was my choice, I wouldn't have picked 💛 💚. Or, come to think of it, maybe it's just because those aren't colors I like. 🤔 Yep, I think that's it. I don't own anything in either of those colors, except for Byrdie who is a mixture of both. 😬

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
Aww what a cutie! I have two green budgies and I think they’re beautiful. (Actually, all of my birds are green since I also have a green Quaker parrot, lol!) How wonderful that you decided to accept Byrdie’s friendship. I don’t know about him needing to be an “ only bird” in order to remain friendly and chatty towards you. I had my first budgie, Bogey, for almost a year as an only bird and he would step up, land on my head etc. He never talked but many budgies don’t. However, after I got him a friend, Bogey still remained pretty friendly with me. So getting a second budgie ( if you really want to) would not necessarily ruin your relationship with Byrdie. Either way, I’m so happy that Byrdie convinced you to keep him! What a clever fellow! Here are my two green budgies, Cooper and Fay:
Google Kiwi the talking parakeet on YouTube. Kiwi's owner is whose advice I repeated (about his second bird only mimicking Kiwi). I think he had Kiwi a considerable time as an only bird just like you with Cooper and Fay. 🙂

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Thanks for not being offended by my color preference. 🙃 lol

I didn't get to see Byrdie's sweet little personality when I first got him. I had an untame bonded pair in addition to him. I was hoping for one clutch of babies so I could keep one to tame. They failed to consumate their marriage, and the hen never laid eggs. I think they may have been too old; possibly breeder discards? Their diet was seeds only, but eventually they accepted boiled egg and egg food.

Byrdie was so attracted by them, he had no interest in me. When he had free flight, he'd go around me, straight to their cage like a magnet. He ignored new foods too, just like the others.

The old pair was territorial and didn't like him, so I found a new home for them a few weeks ago. That's when Byrdie turned to me for attention.

As far as getting the spangle baby I want, Byrdie hasn't been alone with me long enough to be 'faithful' to me, in my opinion. You said you had yours a year before getting another one, right?

I think you are correct in that if I wait until he's securely bonded with me, I could probably add a baby. But I believe Byrdie would stop learning new words and sentences.

From what I've read about talking budgies:
1. Rarely does a budgie talk if kept in a flock
2. A talking budgie doesn't continue learning new words if they get another parakeet to 'talk' to. The second parakeet will mimic words from the first, but no more.

Of course there are always exceptions.

I had a talking budgie 25 years ago. I got him as a baby. I also had a CAG at the same time. Both talked, but they didn't say the same things. They didn't mimic each other so one wasn't teaching the other. Of course they were different species. I never let them out at the same time, and neither tried to visit the other's cage. They were in different rooms, but could see each other.

Byrdie is different than my original parakeet. He would be a 'frequent flyer' kind of visitor! 😂 I'm going to keep him as a solo for awhile to see if he continues to add to his vocabulary. He said 'hello' last night.

If he stops adding words, I'll rethink getting a spangle.

I'm home 24/7 so Birdie is never alone. I open his cage door in the morning and close it at night unless something is going on. He has multiple feeding stations in both cages plus a playpen on top of one. He usually flies a few laps through the house once or twice a day. The rest of his time is spent going back and forth between his two cages, the play area, or with me (but only when I invite him). I'm hoping he just flies to me on his own one day. So far, that hasn't happened. 😕 Do your two fly to you on their own? Tell me about them. 🙂
My first Budgie, Humphrey Bogart (Bogey) was from a pet store but was surprisingly easy to tame. He was very social with all of my family members though most bonded to me. He would fly to me willingly and also sit on me when I was sitting still; reading, eating etc. He was pretty good about stepping up as well. I got him a buddy, Gregory Peck, after about a year because I noticed Bogey would get very excited, almost frantic whenever I played a video with budgies making noise. I thought he might miss being with other birds. He and Peck took to each other pretty quickly. They had free-flight of the whole house and were excellent flyers; weaving through doorways and zooming down hallways. Peck was never quite as friendly as Bogey, though he would still land on me some when I was still. I didn’t work with him as much but I think he learned to be friendly from Bogey. After seeing how much they liked being together, I decided to always have at least two budgies. This is a personal choice; I’m not trying to say that everyone needs to do this. Bogey and Peck passed on years ago. My subsequent budgies, including Fay and Cooper, have not been tame but I believe that has less to do with them bonding to each other and more to do with me being at a place in my life where I have less time to spend working with them. I love to watch them flying around and doing bird stuff. Fay is very curious and likes to explore, Cooper is the happiest bird I have ever met, nothing can ruin his day! He just sings and loves life from morning til night! Personally, I always try to choose animals based on personality rather than looks; to me personality is more important. Subsequently, I’ve had some pretty plain looking animals who were just the BEST 😊. I think spangled budgies are SO beautiful, but I’ve always ended up with basic blue and green birds, lol! As Byrdie’s lovely personality shines through, I have a feeling you will care less and less about his looks ❤️. It sounds like he has a GREAT life with you; maybe you weren’t expecting to get him but it sounds like you two were meant for each other 😊.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
DON'T CHANGE A THING, You have won. Just enjoy the bliss.

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
My first Budgie, Humphrey Bogart (Bogey) was from a pet store but was surprisingly easy to tame. He was very social with all of my family members though most bonded to me. He would fly to me willingly and also sit on me when I was sitting still; reading, eating etc. He was pretty good about stepping up as well. I got him a buddy, Gregory Peck, after about a year because I noticed Bogey would get very excited, almost frantic whenever I played a video with budgies making noise. I thought he might miss being with other birds. He and Peck took to each other pretty quickly. They had free-flight of the whole house and were excellent flyers; weaving through doorways and zooming down hallways. Peck was never quite as friendly as Bogey, though he would still land on me some when I was still. I didn’t work with him as much but I think he learned to be friendly from Bogey. After seeing how much they liked being together, I decided to always have at least two budgies. This is a personal choice; I’m not trying to say that everyone needs to do this. Bogey and Peck passed on years ago. My subsequent budgies, including Fay and Cooper, have not been tame but I believe that has less to do with them bonding to each other and more to do with me being at a place in my life where I have less time to spend working with them. I love to watch them flying around and doing bird stuff. Fay is very curious and likes to explore, Cooper is the happiest bird I have ever met, nothing can ruin his day! He just sings and loves life from morning til night! Personally, I always try to choose animals based on personality rather than looks; to me personality is more important. Subsequently, I’ve had some pretty plain looking animals who were just the BEST 😊. I think spangled budgies are SO beautiful, but I’ve always ended up with basic blue and green birds, lol! As Byrdie’s lovely personality shines through, I have a feeling you will care less and less about his looks ❤️. It sounds like he has a GREAT life with you; maybe you weren’t expecting to get him but it sounds like you two were meant for each other 😊.
Awwh...what a lovely story about all your birds! Thank you for sharing it with me. You are an excellent writer, by the way.

I came back to the parrot forum because I was excited to tell you what just happened! Byrdie landed on my shoulder, all by himself without me asking!

I was working on my laptop and needed the paperwork that came with it. I keep records stored in a low cabinet about 20 feet away from Byrdie's cage.

I was kneeling on the floor with my back to him. I heard his wings fluttering, then he landed on my shoulder! I was just thrilled!

After finishing the computer work, I sat down on my 'bird watching' loveseat to write to you. Byrdie flew circling over me twice, then the third time he landed on my head! I took a picture of him up there for you to see.

I realize a pet bird landing on the owner's shoulder or head is no big deal to other bird owners, but for me and Byrdie, it is A REAL BIG DEAL! 🥳

I'm going to savor all this 'one on one' with Byrdie for as long as it lasts.

I don't know if I'll decide to get him a bird companion in a year or so, or if he'll be an only bird.

My first parakeet was named Sweetie Bird. He lived to be 15. He was never interested in other birds, even though I had an African Grey in the next room that he could see. He could have visited her any time, but he chose not to go near her.

I felt quilty thinking Sweetie Bird needed a mate. I got him a 'wife' for Christmas when he was 5, but he never interacted with her. He ignored her.

I guess she got lonely, because she flew to visit Asia, the African Grey. The bars to Asia's cage were big enough for the parakeet to slip through. Asia literally bit her head off. It was horrifically traumatic. 😰😭 shudder

Sorry...let's change the subject.

I had no intention of keeping Byrdie, but look how HE turned THAT around! He's here to stay. 😁 Right now, I only want one bird. But, as time goes on, if I'm not giving Byrdie enough attention, he'll let me know. And that's when I'll get that spangle baby 'for him'.😉
20230915_180624.jpg

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I am amused... AND I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU.

We always say pick the bird that picks you....

You may have got it in a backhanded and unexpected way but you got the bird that picked you.

Look, you won! You got the bird for you.

Also I have several different colors of budgies from adopting them and the greenish ones are the ones that hang out together the most....the most social with eachother.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

You may have got it in a backhanded and unexpected way but you got the bird that picked you.

Also I have several different colors of budgies from adopting them and the greenish ones are the ones that hang out together the most....the most social with eachother.
Byrdie is the best kind of budgie- he loves people, especially you! So what if he isn't your favorite color? Any budgie that loves being near me and talks, too, is VERY SPECIAL! Most people who want a budgie dream of having one just like Byrdie.

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
Byrdie is the best kind of budgie- he loves people, especially you! So what if he isn't your favorite color? Any budgie that loves being near me and talks, too, is VERY SPECIAL! Most people who want a budgie dream of having one just like Byrdie.
Thank you. The little stinker is staying here for sure! 😁

Donna, you are the person who helped me with a lot of advice on breeding budgies. But now that Byrdie made himself at home here, I won't be breeding; unless I eventually get a mate for him in a year or two.

Right now I don't want any other birds. I want a strong bond with him, and apparently he wants one, too. 🙂 I'm so thrilled with the little green guy!

He said 'hello' today. I have a voice recording of him talking, but it can't be uploaded here to share. Also, he flew to me a few hours ago (without me encouraging him), not once but three times! That just thrills me! 😁 I'm in love! ❤️

Is he just showing off,

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots

Thank you! You are right, he certainly arrived in a backhanded, unexpected way, but he made himself right at home once he became 'an only child'.

I've never had a green budgie. My first parakeet was blue and white. He was a super sweet boy, lived 15 years, and he talked, coughed, sneezed, and blew his nose. But he quieter, rarely flew, and wasn't as busy as Byrdie.

Byrdie sings alot and practices talking. None of those sounds bother me. He typically is only shrill when he hears my voice first thing in the morning as I let the dog out. His previous owner said it is a 'where is my flock?' call.

I have never heard "the green ones are more social". In the first month, this little green guy ran from my hand. In the second month he learned to step up.

Fast forward a month. In the past 3 weeks, he's a different bird. He definitely is eager to interact with me 90% of the time I approach. Today was the first time he flew to my shoulder and head without me asking him.

Occasionally, he still runs from me. I just back off a few inches and wait. He can't stand me moving away, so he generally hurries over to make ammends. 😂

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Awwh...what a lovely story about all your birds! Thank you for sharing it with me. You are an excellent writer, by the way.

I came back to the parrot forum because I was excited to tell you what just happened! Byrdie landed on my shoulder, all by himself without me asking!

I was working on my laptop and needed the paperwork that came with it. I keep records stored in a low cabinet about 20 feet away from Byrdie's cage.

I was kneeling on the floor with my back to him. I heard his wings fluttering, then he landed on my shoulder! I was just thrilled!

After finishing the computer work, I sat down on my 'bird watching' loveseat to write to you. Byrdie flew circling over me twice, then the third time he landed on my head! I took a picture of him up there for you to see.

I realize a pet bird landing on the owner's shoulder or head is no big deal to other bird owners, but for me and Byrdie, it is A REAL BIG DEAL! 🥳

I'm going to savor all this 'one on one' with Byrdie for as long as it lasts.

I don't know if I'll decide to get him a bird companion in a year or so, or if he'll be an only bird.

My first parakeet was named Sweetie Bird. He lived to be 15. He was never interested in other birds, even though I had an African Grey in the next room that he could see. He could have visited her any time, but he chose not to go near her.

I felt quilty thinking Sweetie Bird needed a mate. I got him a 'wife' for Christmas when he was 5, but he never interacted with her. He ignored her.

I guess she got lonely, because she flew to visit Asia, the African Grey. The bars to Asia's cage were big enough for the parakeet to slip through. Asia literally bit her head off. It was horrifically traumatic. 😰😭 shudder

Sorry...let's change the subject.

I had no intention of keeping Byrdie, but look how HE turned THAT around! He's here to stay. 😁 Right now, I only want one bird. But, as time goes on, if I'm not giving Byrdie enough attention, he'll let me know. And that's when I'll get that spangle baby 'for him'.😉View attachment 54390
Yay! Good job Byrdie! What a friendly boy 😊. It is wonderful that you two are developing such a bond in so short a time. Also, your first budgie lived to fifteen!? That is amazing!!!

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
Yay! Good job Byrdie! What a friendly boy 😊. It is wonderful that you two are developing such a bond in so short a time. Also, your first budgie lived to fifteen!? That is amazing!!!
You have no idea how amazing it was for Sweetie Bird to live to be 15! I'll tell you his story. Please don't judge me after you hear it.

Back then I knew NOTHING about parakeet diets (Google didn't exist then, or if it did, I wasn't using it). I bought him as a baby from a breeder. He couldn't fly yet.

The breeder gave me instructions on hand feeding, weaning, and adult diet, which meant (in our case) seeds, crushed oyster shell water, toys and cuttlebone. Also they told me to cover his cage at night. That was all the information I had and I followed the instructions. I got all my information from his breeder. I trusted they knew what to do. They probably had 100 budgies.

His cage was right off the kitchen. I used non-stick cookware, plus all kinds of sprays and scented cleaners. I was a clean freak so I used every cleaner known to man. 🤢

Our house was big and open with high ceilings, so maybe that saved him from the teflon and other fumes in the air.

He lived in a large conure cage, not because I knew he needed space, but because a California Cage was better built than Preview Hendrix, and I chose the best, most expensive cage for him. He never got sunshine or had a UV light because I had no clue. I never misted him with water because no one told me he needed misting. He never had a bath that I remember either. I used a water bottle with a little ball spout for him to drink from because I didn't want his water to get bacteria in it, so maybe that contributed to a long healthy life. His water was always clean. We had well water at that house so maybe that helped as well.

However, he had lots of attention and love. Old folks used to tell young couples, "You can't live on love." Maybe Sweetie Bird lived on love.

I'm positive of his age because I wrote the dates in a veterinary hand book.

Poor fella never had fruit, veggies, or a UV light! The only good advice I got was to not use a mirror and to cover his cage at night. If I knew then what I know now, he might have lived even longer.

I thought Sweetie Bird had the best care possible until I decided to get another parakeet and began reading up on them online. Talk about shock!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thank you. The little stinker is staying here for sure! 😁

Donna, you are the person who helped me with a lot of advice on breeding budgies. But now that Byrdie made himself at home here, I won't be breeding; unless I eventually get a mate for him in a year or two.

Right now I don't want any other birds. I want a strong bond with him, and apparently he wants one, too. 🙂 I'm so thrilled with the little green guy!

He said 'hello' today. I have a voice recording of him talking, but it can't be uploaded here to share. Also, he flew to me a few hours ago (without me encouraging him), not once but three times! That just thrills me! 😁 I'm in love! ❤️

Is he just showing off,
View attachment 54391
The most "common, boring" budgie is one that ignores you, or worse, seems to hate you no matter what you do! Byrdie is so cool!

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
The most "common, boring" budgie is one that ignores you, or worse, seems to hate you no matter what you do! Byrdie is so cool!
Awwh! 💗

You made me rethink what I said. Thank you for that! 😄 I'm sitting here looking at him right now. He is a SWEET little guy. He's definitely won my heart!

I went into my profile earlier today and added a post script. I had to update it. Originally, I said I was going to tame Byrdie and find him a new home. That's changed!

Byrdie IS home. He knew he was; the only one who didn't know was ME! 🫤 I am so happy Byrdie opened up his little heart so I could see his REAL beauty!😁

Thanks, Donna.

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
Will you please explain to me what Byrdie is 'saying' with his body language in the video where he's on my knee?

It's cute, but he surely means something by all that bobbing and clicking. What is he trying to convey?

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
The video I wanted you to interpret is under the caption 'Is he just showing off' at the end of one of my posts.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
When Byrdie taps his head and makes those sounds he's acting like a typical male budgie "in love"- in this case, with YOU! He's courting you! Next he will be regurgitating his lunch on you. It will look like whatever he's been eating but wet. Be nice and eat it! Just kidding- say "thank you, Byrdie" and give him some extra affection. You need to teach him to say "birds can't talk". I had a budgie that said that and it was hilarious! Just keep repeating it to him in a soft, sweet tone of voice when he's focused on pleasing you. Male budgies can develop HUGE vocabularies but their voices are strange sounding like they're computer generated so you have to listen carefully to understand them. You're so lucky to have Byrdie!

Most Reactions

Latest posts