Don't tame it if you want to sell it!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
You have no idea how amazing it was for Sweetie Bird to live to be 15! I'll tell you his story. Please don't judge me after you hear it.

Back then I knew NOTHING about parakeet diets (Google didn't exist then, or if it did, I wasn't using it). I bought him as a baby from a breeder. He couldn't fly yet.

The breeder gave me instructions on hand feeding, weaning, and adult diet, which meant (in our case) seeds, crushed oyster shell water, toys and cuttlebone. Also they told me to cover his cage at night. That was all the information I had and I followed the instructions. I got all my information from his breeder. I trusted they knew what to do. They probably had 100 budgies.

His cage was right off the kitchen. I used non-stick cookware, plus all kinds of sprays and scented cleaners. I was a clean freak so I used every cleaner known to man. 🤢

Our house was big and open with high ceilings, so maybe that saved him from the teflon and other fumes in the air.

He lived in a large conure cage, not because I knew he needed space, but because a California Cage was better built than Preview Hendrix, and I chose the best, most expensive cage for him. He never got sunshine or had a UV light because I had no clue. I never misted him with water because no one told me he needed misting. He never had a bath that I remember either. I used a water bottle with a little ball spout for him to drink from because I didn't want his water to get bacteria in it, so maybe that contributed to a long healthy life. His water was always clean. We had well water at that house so maybe that helped as well.

However, he had lots of attention and love. Old folks used to tell young couples, "You can't live on love." Maybe Sweetie Bird lived on love.

I'm positive of his age because I wrote the dates in a veterinary hand book.

Poor fella never had fruit, veggies, or a UV light! The only good advice I got was to not use a mirror and to cover his cage at night. If I knew then what I know now, he might have lived even longer.

I thought Sweetie Bird had the best care possible until I decided to get another parakeet and began reading up on them online. Talk about shock!
I had a budgie that lived to be 13 and never ate anything but a budgie seed mix. He had an amazing avian vet that took care of his medical problems and injuries over the years. They encouraged me to feed him pellets but he wouldn't eat them. He finally passed from kidney failure but it took two years for him to die. Every time he began to fail I brought him to the vet hospital and he was admitted for several days to get fluids and be tube fed until he got his strength up. The vet did a free necropsy (his idea) so he could see the insides of a "geriatric budgie" (his words). He had bad cataracts, and his kidneys were clogged with urates. They also found the remnants of a testicular tumor that had outgrown it's own blood supply and shrivelled up. He was a visual male until he was three years old when his cere slowly turned tan/brown. As he aged past ten, his cere turned back to that of a visual male (lavender because he was recessive pied). The vet had suspected a hormone secreting tumor was responsible for his "sex change" and slow change back. What's interesting is that this tumor has nothing to do with his eventual death.

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
2 year old green parakeet named Byrdie.
I had a budgie that lived to be 13 and never ate anything but a budgie seed mix. He had an amazing avian vet that took care of his medical problems and injuries over the years. They encouraged me to feed him pellets but he wouldn't eat them. He finally passed from kidney failure but it took two years for him to die. Every time he began to fail I brought him to the vet hospital and he was admitted for several days to get fluids and be tube fed until he got his strength up. The vet did a free necropsy (his idea) so he could see the insides of a "geriatric budgie" (his words). He had bad cataracts, and his kidneys were clogged with urates. They also found the remnants of a testicular tumor that had outgrown it's own blood supply and shrivelled up. He was a visual male until he was three years old when his cere slowly turned tan/brown. As he aged past ten, his cere turned back to that of a visual male (lavender because he was recessive pied). The vet had suspected a hormone secreting tumor was responsible for his "sex change" and slow change back. What's interesting is that this tumor has nothing to do with his eventual death.

Parrot Forum 🦜 Parrot Owners Community

Don't tame it if you want to sell it!​

Prev
Unwatch
•••
[IMG alt="DonnaBudgie"]https://www.parrotforums.com/data/avatars/m/45/45585.jpg?1674759111[/IMG]

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member

You have no idea how amazing it was for Sweetie Bird to live to be 15! I'll tell you his story. Please don't judge me after you hear it.

Back then I knew NOTHING about parakeet diets (Google didn't exist then, or if it did, I wasn't using it). I bought him as a baby from a breeder. He couldn't fly yet.

The breeder gave me instructions on hand feeding, weaning, and adult diet, which meant (in our case) seeds, crushed oyster shell water, toys and cuttlebone. Also they told me to cover his cage at night. That was all the information I had and I followed the instructions. I got all my information from his breeder. I trusted they knew what to do. They probably had 100 budgies.

His cage was right off the kitchen. I used non-stick cookware, plus all kinds of sprays and scented cleaners. I was a clean freak so I used every cleaner known to man. 🤢

Our house was big and open with high ceilings, so maybe that saved him from the teflon and other fumes in the air.

He lived in a large conure cage, not because I knew he needed space, but because a California Cage was better built than Preview Hendrix, and I chose the best, most expensive cage for him. He never got sunshine or had a UV light because I had no clue. I never misted him with water because no one told me he needed misting. He never had a bath that I remember either. I used a water bottle with a little ball spout for him to drink from because I didn't want his water to get bacteria in it, so maybe that contributed to a long healthy life. His water was always clean. We had well water at that house so maybe that helped as well.

However, he had lots of attention and love. Old folks used to tell young couples, "You can't live on love." Maybe Sweetie Bird lived on love.

Poor fella never had fruit, veggies, or a UV light! The only good advice I got was to not use a mirror and to cover his cage at night. If I knew then what I know now, he might have lived even longer.

I thought Sweetie Bird had the best care possible until I decided to get another parakeet and began reading up on them online. Talk about shock!

Like Reply
[IMG alt="Birdfriendly"]https://www.parrotforums.com/data/avatars/m/46/46807.jpg?1693086118[/IMG]

Birdfriendly

Member​

Wow. You were a great caregiver to take him to the vet so many times.

If I had known to feed Sweetie Bird fresh foods, I believe he would have eaten them since I got him so young. I never even tried, because of my ignorance.

Was he your first budgie? Your vet sounds like he was one of the good ones. He wanted to learn so he could advance his knowledge for future reference.

I had a good vet like that too, when I was young. He's long since retired. I'm going to be 69 in a couple of weeks. I should check to see if he's still alive.

The first time I met my vet, we got off on the wrong foot. He said something that hit me the wrong, and I told him what I thought about his attitude. He closed the door to keep everyone from hearing us, and we had a pretty heated discussion. But when the dust settled, he respected me, we shook hands, and through the years we became friends. We never had a cross word again.

In fact, he was short handed during an emergency c-section on my Boston Terrier and used me as a second set of hands in the operating room. I learned a lot from him during the next 25 years. Yep, he was one of the good ones, too.

I typically ask Byrdie to step up and take him into the living room with me every night before his bedtime. The first time he flew away as I sat down. After many do-overs, in a few days he was hanging with me 5 minutes before he'd get spooked and fly back to his cage.

Tonight he lasted 30 minutes before he flew to his cage. I called him to me, and he flew back and played 40 minutes before spooking. He also got off of me (his security body) and walked around on the arm of the couch about a minute. He's a brave little one.

He still won't let me pet him, but I'm not ready to give up on him yet. If he never does, like your Rocky, I'll be okay with it, but Byrdie has had a half dozen different things happening rapidly these past 3 weeks. I think he'll come around...but he might not. We'll see.

Did you look at that video of him bobbing and clicking? I don't know how to interpret his body language. 😕 Could you please take a look and tell me what he's trying to communicate to me? I don't know how to read his body language. What ever he's 'saying', he's passionate about it! 😂

Attachments

• 20230905_182010.mp4
    7.8 MB
OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
When Byrdie taps his head and makes those sounds he's acting like a typical male budgie "in love"- in this case, with YOU! He's courting you! Next he will be regurgitating his lunch on you. It will look like whatever he's been eating but wet. Be nice and eat it! Just kidding- say "thank you, Byrdie" and give him some extra affection. You need to teach him to say "birds can't talk". I had a budgie that said that and it was hilarious! Just keep repeating it to him in a soft, sweet tone of voice when he's focused on pleasing you. Male budgies can develop HUGE vocabularies but their voices are strange sounding like they're computer generated so you have to listen carefully to understand them. You're so lucky to have Byrdie
When Byrdie taps his head and makes those sounds he's acting like a typical male budgie "in love"- in this case, with YOU! He's courting you! Next he will be regurgitating his lunch on you. It will look like whatever he's been eating but wet. Be nice and eat it! Just kidding- say "thank you, Byrdie" and give him some extra affection. You need to teach him to say "birds can't talk". I had a budgie that said that and it was hilarious! Just keep repeating it to him in a soft, sweet tone of voice when he's focused on pleasing you. Male budgies can develop HUGE vocabularies but their voices are strange sounding like they're computer generated so you have to listen carefully to understand them. You're so lucky to have Byrdie!

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
I missed seeing this post so please disregard the other one asking again.
Sweetie Bird never did all that 'dancing' or whatever it's called, nor did he regurgitate. But Byrdie probably will because he watched the old pair feed each other and attempt to mate. Then Byrdie would 'go to town' on one of his toys.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Parrot Forum 🦜 Parrot Owners Community

Don't tame it if you want to sell it!​

Prev
Unwatch
•••
[IMG alt="DonnaBudgie"]https://www.parrotforums.com/data/avatars/m/45/45585.jpg?1674759111[/IMG]

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member

Like Reply
[IMG alt="Birdfriendly"]https://www.parrotforums.com/data/avatars/m/46/46807.jpg?1693086118[/IMG]

Birdfriendly

Member​

Wow. You were a great caregiver to take him to the vet so many times.

If I had known to feed Sweetie Bird fresh foods, I believe he would have eaten them since I got him so young. I never even tried, because of my ignorance.

Was he your first budgie? Your vet sounds like he was one of the good ones. He wanted to learn so he could advance his knowledge for future reference.

I had a good vet like that too, when I was young. He's long since retired. I'm going to be 69 in a couple of weeks. I should check to see if he's still alive.

The first time I met my vet, we got off on the wrong foot. He said something that hit me the wrong, and I told him what I thought about his attitude. He closed the door to keep everyone from hearing us, and we had a pretty heated discussion. But when the dust settled, he respected me, we shook hands, and through the years we became friends. We never had a cross word again.

In fact, he was short handed during an emergency c-section on my Boston Terrier and used me as a second set of hands in the operating room. I learned a lot from him during the next 25 years. Yep, he was one of the good ones, too.

I typically ask Byrdie to step up and take him into the living room with me every night before his bedtime. The first time he flew away as I sat down. After many do-overs, in a few days he was hanging with me 5 minutes before he'd get spooked and fly back to his cage.

Tonight he lasted 30 minutes before he flew to his cage. I called him to me, and he flew back and played 40 minutes before spooking. He also got off of me (his security body) and walked around on the arm of the couch about a minute. He's a brave little one.

He still won't let me pet him, but I'm not ready to give up on him yet. If he never does, like your Rocky, I'll be okay with it, but Byrdie has had a half dozen different things happening rapidly these past 3 weeks. I think he'll come around...but he might not. We'll see.

Did you look at that video of him bobbing and clicking? I don't know how to interpret his body language. 😕 Could you please take a look and tell me what he's trying to communicate to me? I don't know how to read his body language. What ever he's 'saying', he's passionate about it! 😂
I watched the video and it looks like budgie talk for "I love you" to me and I've had quite a few budgies in my 62 years. The budgie that lived to 13 wasn't my first but was my longest lived. I got him when I was about 27 and he died when I was 40. I had one before him.
I know this is unpopular to say but in my experience male budgies and female budgies are, in general, different. Rocky is a female and she muttered "baby bird" a few times when she was four or five months old but hasn't "talked" since. I really don't care, either. All the males I've had were different. They courted me like Byrdie does. They talked, and they did not bite. Rocky is an amazing budgie and we love her to bits but she chews everything including human skin (ears especially). She is completely fearless. She doesn't exhibit "courtship behavior" like beak tapping, "talking", "warbling" (that soft verbal chattering to evolves into talking), and "sweet" isn't a word I would use to describe her. Rocky is a real spitfire! She loves being the center of attention. She prefers our company to that of other birds. She's like Velcro when she's out of her cage (when we are home to supervise) to a degree that it can get annoying! She eats anything as long as we are eating it. I LOVE my Rocky! She's my Rockstar Baby Bird! But I kinda wish she was a boy because in my experience, they're just easier.
Don't think for a minute that Byrdie will ever be comfortable being "petted" like a cat or dog. Even the tamest most bonded budgies don't want to be touched like that expect perhaps on their faces but don't count on it.
If I tried to "pet" Rocky she would try to draw blood! Even my tamest males wouldn't allow it so don't even try.
It's so wonderful that you and Byrdie have found each other!

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies

Aww, Sweetie Bird no doubt thrived on love! Really, though it sounds like you gave him the best care you knew how and he clearly did very well! Also, a big cage makes a big difference, I think. Sometimes people have the misconception of, “small bird, small cage” but budgies have sooo much energy! They are like the Jack Russel Terriers of birds! Mine are out flying around, exploring, looking out the windows all day long. No doubt Sweetie Bird’s big cage helped him be more active which kept him healthier both physically and mentally. What a blessing to have such a long- lived budgie ❤️

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
I apologize Donna. When I said, "He won't let me pet him" I meant, "He won't let me touch his face."

Years ago I would ask, "Scratch, scratch?" and my tame AGCs, Asia and Precious, would hurry over to me and bend their heads. As I scratched, they would move their heads around to direct my scratching. They loved it. Precious would also lift her wing to be scratched as well.

Sweetie Bird was the only parakeet I ever owned (until 2023). But he was the exception to the rule. He never EVER bit anyone, not even little kids or strangers. He gave kisses to any and everyone who came to our house. I got Sweetie Bird before he could fly.

I thought Sweetie Bird was an exception to the rule when I got him because he didn't bond with just me, but maybe he wasn't an exception. Maybe it was more of typical hand raised MALE parakeet behavior? What are your thoughts?

Sweetie Bird was very laid back. He never showed off or danced around bobbing his head and clicking like Byrdie. He also never regurgitated on me or on his toys. In fact, he wasn't into playing with toys much either. Byrdie LOVES his toys.

I could hold Sweetie Bird and cut his nails without him even trying to bite. He never made the shrill one syllable 'flock call' like Byrdie and the old pair, nor did Sweetie Bird make the agitated chipmunk sound. By the way, does the agitated chipmunk sound mean they are angry?

I remember you hand fed Rocky. You mentioned other birds, but is she an only parakeet? Reading about Rocky was interesting to me. I had no idea parakeets could be so unique and different from each other. I appreciate you going into detail about Rocky's personality. Others reading this will enjoy reading what you shared as well. I'm not the only person just getting into parakeets.

Although I had one years ago, he was so different, I feel like Byrdie is my first Budgie. I have a lot to learn. Plus, I did everything backwards with the first one. This time around, it's a new rodeo!

Byrdie's owner bought him from a pet store when he was under 4 months. She had a picture of him and he had head barring like a baby. He sat on her finger, but he wouldn't come to her without millet. She said he never felt comfortable enough to fly around her house. She said he refused to eat anything but seeds. He didn't talk either. She said she didn't have time for him. That's the reason she gave him away.

So, he wasn't 'wild' like the old pair when I got him, but he was insecure. He had no interest in doing anything when he had the old couple to watch. I taught him to step up and to give kisses in the cage during the beginning, but as soon as he was out of the cage he acted wild because all he wanted was to get to the old pair's cage.

Once the old pair was gone, he went from being frenzied and hyper to an attentive student eager to learn.

He's still not 100% secure. If it's just me and him, he's okay. But if he's with me, and the dog or my husband move, it startles him. He flies back to his cage. If he's on my shoulder or finger and walk out of sight of his cages, he's gone. I'm hoping his confidence will build. Do you think he will get braver?

Another question: I get off topic alot. How am I supposed to handle that? Do I respond privately or what do I do? I don't know how to 'change a thread'. Do I copy and paste with a new title? Will whoever was talking with me be notified to lead them to the new thread? Is there someplace I can read to get detailed instructions on forum etiquette? Thank you for helping, Donna.🙂

Pam

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
Aww, Sweetie Bird no doubt thrived on love! Really, though it sounds like you gave him the best care you knew how and he clearly did very well! Also, a big cage makes a big difference, I think. Sometimes people have the misconception of, “small bird, small cage” but budgies have sooo much energy! They are like the Jack Russel Terriers of birds! Mine are out flying around, exploring, looking out the windows all day long. No doubt Sweetie Bird’s big cage helped him be more active which kept him healthier both physically and mentally. What a blessing to have such a long- lived budgie ❤️
Thank you for your kind words. When I had Sweetie Bird, there was always a house full of people. We had 2 teenage sons and a preteen. There was plenty of live entertainment. I don't use foul language now, but back then I would sometimes say a 4 letter word that rhymes with 'sit'. 🙄 Sorry, Lord.
Thankfully the African Grey never picked it up, but my little darling angelic Sweetie Bird immediately began using it! I was so embarrassed 😳. It was crystal clear, of course.

Let me begin by saying I am new to forums. I tried to find your profile to read about you, but I may have gone to the wrong page. I clicked on your thumbnail. It just showed numbers of messages, numbers of likes, and points. 😕 Was that it? If not, can you please tell me how to find your profile page?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Thank you for your kind words. When I had Sweetie Bird, there was always a house full of people. We had 2 teenage sons and a preteen. There was plenty of live entertainment. I don't use foul language now, but back then I would sometimes say a 4 letter word that rhymes with 'sit'. 🙄 Sorry, Lord.
Thankfully the African Grey never picked it up, but my little darling angelic Sweetie Bird immediately began using it! I was so embarrassed 😳. It was crystal clear, of course.

Let me begin by saying I am new to forums. I tried to find your profile to read about you, but I may have gone to the wrong page. I clicked on your thumbnail. It just showed numbers of messages, numbers of likes, and points. 😕 Was that it? If not, can you please tell me how to find your profile page?
Birdfriendly, I don’t really have anything on my profile page. Maybe I’m paranoid but I don’t like to put too much personal information on the internet 🙂.

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
I wrote about my bird
Birdfriendly, I don’t really have anything on my profile page. Maybe I’m paranoid but I don’t like to put too much personal information on the internet 🙂.
You are probably wise in guarding your identity. It's too late for me, I'm out there already. 😬

I train Service Dogs for veterans in my community. I've got a website and it's public to get the word out there so I've made myself vulnerable. BUT ....

I think I'm safe from sexual preditors because I'm too old. 😉

We raised 3 kids which means we spent all our money raising them, so we're safe from robbers.🤑

If someone knocks, our dog is trained to rush the door ferociously until I tell her it's okay, which I do AFTER they leave. 🫣

AND, if anyone is still determined enough to push inside, fight the dog, survive my husband and his gun, then nothing but God could stop them! 🙏

(Not to brag, but I know Him personally. 💗

He said, " Fear not, for I am with you; Do not be dismayed (stressed), for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10)😇

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I wrote about my bird

You are probably wise in guarding your identity. It's too late for me, I'm out there already. 😬

I train Service Dogs for veterans in my community. I've got a website and it's public to get the word out there so I've made myself vulnerable. BUT ....

I think I'm safe from sexual preditors because I'm too old. 😉

We raised 3 kids which means we spent all our money raising them, so we're safe from robbers.🤑

If someone knocks, our dog is trained to rush the door ferociously until I tell her it's okay, which I do AFTER they leave. 🫣

AND, if anyone is still determined enough to push inside, fight the dog, survive my husband and his gun, then nothing but God could stop them! 🙏

(Not to brag, but I know Him personally. 💗

He said, " Fear not, for I am with you; Do not be dismayed (stressed), for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10)😇
If anyone messes with us I'll just sic Rocky on them! 😉

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
HAHAHA...you don't have to worry, Donna! After reading your PUBLIC posts, the bad guys will choose an easier target. They'll opt to come here, fight my dog, face bullets, and deal with the wrath of God before squaring off in the ring with Rocky! 😂😂😂

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
This happened to me too. I wanted to adopt a macaw. I called a shelter who told me that they aren’t looking to adopt out any of their parrots as they are senior parrots, and with a lot behavioral issues. Most have been adopted out many times, and returned. They suggested I volunteer, and get the experience. I did, and I could have had a macaw. There was a parrot named Nico that I bonded with while I volunteered . He’s not a macaw but he’s perfect for me, and we paired well together. I brought him home, and he’s here permanently. I haven’t regretted my decision, and won’t. Sometimes what we want, and what’s best for us are 2 different things.

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
This happened to me too. I wanted to adopt a macaw. I called a shelter who told me that they aren’t looking to adopt out any of their parrots as they are senior parrots, and with a lot behavioral issues. Most have been adopted out many times, and returned. They suggested I volunteer, and get the experience. I did, and I could have had a macaw. There was a parrot named Nico that I bonded with while I volunteered . He’s not a macaw but he’s perfect for me, and we paired well together. I brought him home, and he’s here permanently. I haven’t regretted my decision, and won’t. Sometimes what we want, and what’s best for us are 2 different things.

That's right; I agree.

I'm just glad Byrdie acted fast, or I would have rehomed him without realizing my mistake!

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
HAHAHA...you don't have to worry, Donna! After reading your PUBLIC posts, the bad guys will choose an easier target. They'll opt to come here, fight my dog, face bullets, and deal with the wrath of God before squaring off in the ring with Rocky! �

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
This forum won't let me post longer videos, so here is a 4 second video of Byrdie letting me pet his head for the first time. He still isn't totally comfortable with me touching his head, but as he gets desensitized to me touching his head and face, he'll get used to it with enough positive reinforcement.

He now will fly to me from across the room almost 75% of the time when I call him. He's flying uninvited to my shoulder off and on, and he's lasting longer and longer as I get farther and farther from 'his room'. Thank you, DonnaBudgie, JCAS, mfajardo86, clark_conure, and kme3388 for encouraging me! 😊

Here is a 4 second video of him letting me touch his head today. I have a minute or two long video of yesterday's 'lesson' where I set the stage to let it be Byrdie's idea. If anyone wants to see the video of me 'thinking outside the box' to get Byrdie to this point, let me know and I'll email the video or something. Maybe it will help someone (Donna, your Rocky won't fall for it though 😂).

Here is a video of day two of me trying to touch my bird's head so eventually he will feel comfortable letting

me 'scratch, scratch'. 🫠

Last edited:

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I have nothing to add other then:

I personally think chunky green birbs are the best. They may look a little boring but those guys are packed with personality. The blue ones tend to be.... a little braindead, LOL.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I'm loving this thread! More! More!

None of my budgies have been tame, except Shr'ayle, who unfortunately died at 3 months old due to my inexperience with birds. Shra'yle and Pro'to were my first birds ever and were very sweet. They flew to me, sat on my shoulders and preened my hair (as did Buzzsaw, who lived up to her name, LOL) . But try to touch them? Forget it.

Then again, I have a very hands off approach with my birds. I would rather go to the cage or play area and talk to them and feed them treats than pick them up. **Shrugs**

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
I'm loving this thread! More! More!

None of my budgies have been tame, except Shr'ayle, who unfortunately died at 3 months old due to my inexperience with birds. Shra'yle and Pro'to were my first birds ever and were very sweet. They flew to me, sat on my shoulders and preened my hair (as did Buzzsaw, who lived up to her name, LOL) . But try to touch them? Forget it.

Then again, I have a very hands off approach with my birds. I would rather go to the cage or play area and talk to them and feed them treats than pick them up. **Shrugs**
I'm just experimenting to see what Byrdie will let me do. I'm not planning on touching his back or holding him in my cupped hand. But I think he would enjoy me 'scratch scratch' his head. If he doesn't enjoy it after a week, I'll stop. We'll see.

Do you like it when they preen your hair? I love it! Did Buzzsaw chew your hair off??? What
did she do to live up to her name? 😂

Yesterday Byrdie flew to me when I called, and I was not in view. I had no idea a tiny bird could bring so much excitement!

However, he hasn't talked since last week. I'm glad I got a recording of it! There is no video because when he sees it, the talking is over. Sigh

Oh! I could try to camouflage my phone somehow!

I'm so sorry about Shra'yle. What happened?

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I'm just experimenting to see what Byrdie will let me do. I'm not planning on touching his back or holding him in my cupped hand. But I think he would enjoy me 'scratch scratch' his head. If he doesn't enjoy it after a week, I'll stop. We'll see.

Do you like it when they preen your hair? I love it! Did Buzzsaw chew your hair off??? What
did she do to live up to her name? 😂

Yesterday Byrdie flew to me when I called, and I was not in view. I had no idea a tiny bird could bring so much excitement!

However, he hasn't talked since last week. I'm glad I got a recording of it! There is no video because when he sees it, the talking is over. Sigh

Oh! I could try to camouflage my phone somehow!

I'm so sorry about Shra'yle. What happened?
Buzzsaw was a shredder. Like seriously, hard core shredder. I lost a bulletin board to her. Was gone overnight when it was in her reach! She also shredded some artwork, which I wasn't very impressed about, LOL!

As for Shra'yle and Pro'to.. Because I was so new to birds, I didn't take proper care of them and missed the signs that they were sick. They died 3 months after I got them because of a respiratory infection that I didn't notice until it was too late. I'm glad I lost them at the same time, because I managed to have birds since then that have survived due to what I learned!

Most Reactions

Latest posts