Enrichment in Parrots

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
What things do you do to enrich your companion parrots life? Enrichment is so important to their overall health and well being.Nothing worse than being alone in a cage all day,everyday.I know obvious things like harness training for flight, chew toys,bells,special treats. But also human interaction, companion pets (my dogs,LOL), other birds, kids running in and out of the house with all their noise and excitement. Often it's the little things, the small personal routines, like saying "Hi" when you get home,sharing toast for breakfast, taking them with you to do chores. Maybe offering examples of enrichment around your home would help make others/newbies more aware of the importance of taking an active role in our companions well being. Who knows, maybe you'll solve some birdie's plucking issues!

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Most excellent thread idea, Capt!!! :D

The "thing" I do with my fids on a daily basis - and yes, folks may crack up now, but I don't care - I "party" with each and every one of them. They absolutely LOVE it, and look forward to it.

By "partying" I mean I put on some funky music, mostly 80s, put on my dancing shoes and dance and sing with my birds. :54: The big macs mostly chime in with their "La La Las", but the Amazons know quite a few lyrics and songs by now. I get head bobbing, swinging upside down from my hands, rocking back and forth in rhythm to the music, eyes pinning, wings flapping, .... we're talking a REAL party at my house each and every day. :) Keeps me well oiled, and keeps the fids very happy and entertained. :D

That is just ONE of the activities we do together. ;)

OP
henpecked

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I built a small portable "table top" stand, i can take my hen nape almost anywhere around the house and sit her down. She isn't "glued" to me and i'm free to do things without her interfering with what i'm doing. She's still included just not in the way. It's her little safe spot that allows her to be comfortable in strange places.
5p5t.jpg

Last edited:

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Ohmygoodness where to begin hahaha ;) well, going from a perch-potato to an active cockatoo has really opened my eyes at what it takes to make a BUSY bird happy...a busy beak is a happy beak IMHO ;)

Since I'm home ALL day, every day she doesn't really get much time IN her cage...I make sure she has plenty of shreddables and crunchables to destroy, she gets boing time, foraging, and when daddy gets home he spends time with her too (and she makes sure of it!!). I don't have dance parties like Wendy, but I have started dancing with her on my arm- trying to get her used to boppin around without flying away (so far- pretty good). She pretty much is involved in every part of my day- except office work LOL

Around the holidays she got to meet a dozen new people, so it was wonderful to talk to people of all ages on how to handle a parrot and let them hold her and touch her. It's amazing watching all those little faces light up at something that's "normal" for me :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Here is another activity. I do this with the Macaws, but Sam plays the game as well sometimes. It's called "Clean the Counter". :30:

I place several stainless salad bowl on the kitchen counter, upside down, and hide a treat or a small piece of wood underneath. Then I cover the bowls with towels. The big macs have a BLAST ripping the towels off, flipping the bowls, finding their goodies, and then they continue by throwing EVERYTHING off the counter. The louder, the better. The further away they toss it, the funnier for them, because I have to scramble to get it all re-assembled again. This game often also results in tug-of-war with one of the towels. I've even seen Niko and Ripley play tug-of-war together. Towel firmly attached in beak they'll go "Gimme that", or "MINE".

The Amazons love "Tickle Monster". We play this on the couch, individually, as they do get jealous with one another. Either Hunter or Sam are on the couch, they flip themselves over on their back and go "tickle, tickle, tickle." I then tickle their belly, scratch their chin, and often open their wings while they are on their back. :D

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Ohhhhh I will have to try the bowl and towel idea with chili!!! I can see the kid getting involved too ;)

I don't do tickle monster, but she does love to wrestle on the couch with spoons :rolleyes: well- you've seen what she does with clothes!! ;)

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I involve Valentino in my everyday activities. He showers with me, eats with me, watches TV with me and I hope someday will be able to leave the house and be involved with my walks and parrot friendly outings.

I do have structured time for him to be alone while I work in my office. Because I am preparing to return to the workforce I need for him to be comfortable with being in his cage for his independent play time. Valentino is use to being in his cage during the day.

Julio is still not comfortable stepping up for me to come out of his cage. I will talk and sing to him and feed him treats from my hands. The plans are to get him a cage that is more suitable for his special needs which will include a playtop. He is more comfortable with that setup better so he can come out of the cage on his own and go to the playtop to be "out". My current cage for him is too big and although he seems to have adjusted to it I need one with a higher grate to help him when he looses balance and falls. We will be buying his new cage this spring is the plan. For now to help enrich his life I try to interact with him when ever I am in his space. He now calls to me for attention which I think is a huge step in the right direction for my interaction with him. After I get him into a better cage and can set it up for him to feel more secure with stepping up for me I will begin training for him to step up for me from his cage instead of attacking me.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
:respect:Brilliant brilliant thread!!!! I will be taking notes :22:

Percy and I can't interact that closely but we play 'peekaboo' (i hide behind a towel and 'peekaboo' out, he soon starts pulling at the towel or trying to peek around it to find me LOL!!).

We also play 'where is it?'. I 'hide' his favourite toy cocaine (as mentioned in a previous thread) in a cup or something and tell him to find it. as long as he *knows* what he is looking for, he goes at it with gusto!

We sing and dance when time allows - he 'sings' along VERY enthusiastically so we don't do that all day to avoid incurring the wrath of grumpy neighbours ;)

And of course, we talk and gossip all the time... Sometimes he just moans at me but sometimes, he comes out with a new word which is a total treat! :)

OP
henpecked

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Bump,bump,bump

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I just include them, talk to them, deliver treats or do something around and about. I'm just there. My weiros aren't tame, so they stay in their cage. I will let them out when I get something done that I have to finish. My girl comes into my room and sits on her gym in there, we play games or do some training-y things. Today, she was practising not getting eaten by the dog..... We are working on "leave it" and 'down' and the dog is doing very well. I can't trust her, though, she's too "grabby" and needs to start school and get lots learnt. Also trying to get her to poo in her potty, but I'm not hopeful that she'll ever figure that one out (or I'll have the patience to keep waiting for her to poo in the right place....) I give her foraging treats, and am teaching her to play with her toys. Today we also did a new trick where she went upside down. It was an accident at first, but then I did it on purpose and she didn't seem to mind/liked it.

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
I can't do much with Simba, so I play "got yer toes" sometimes when he's on the side of the cage. I don't know if he likes it or not, but I sure have fun with it. I let him out as much as I can and try to interact and pet, but the petting is sloooow going. But I've got time. He's eventually going to get tired of biting me and give in (that's my theory).

And I do talk to him and sing to him and he loves Wii Bowling. He's not very good, though. :D Actually, he likes to watch us play.

MamaFuzz

Oct 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
Parrots
GCC - Chico
Senegal - Indy
Chico loves helping out with daily tasks. He sits on the kids' shoulders while they do their homework. He has tried to shred it on occasion. He also loves bath time. He's always the last one but he hops on the kids' heads hoping to cut in line. His favorite is helping my kids play with their toys especially littlest pet shop.

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
I love trying to include our two babies in everything I possibly can.
Our house has an open plan, and we have two dangerous dogs. Every morning, or whenever my mom is in one part of the house with them, I put up a barrier, that is impenetrable for the dogs, and I take the birds out into the main room, so they get a change of scenery from our room. I cover the big dining room table, and bring out their perches. We train for a while, and sometimes just play.
I like to let Loki explore the sink area while I rinse vegetables for their lunch.
I bring the big basket of laundry into our room, and put it on the bed. Loki likes to get in the middle of all the clean clothes, and play as I fold. Wingnut is allowed on the bed, and he enjoys chewing the wicker basket.
Several times a day (when I am not at work) I will come in the room, and pick each one up, and cuddle and kiss them, and give scritches.
As Loki is the older of the two, and we had her first, I always want her to know she is 'special'. Almost every night, we have cuddle time. I will kiss Wingnut goodnight, put him in and cover him. Then Loki will sit on my chest for a while, as I watch a show in bed on my iPad. It is her most favorite time of day.....mine too :)

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Loki actually just watched me type that entire thing!

Most Reactions