Escapee

SnipersMom

Feb 12, 2015
Texas
Parrots
One Sun Conure, hatch date 7/10/14
Sniper escaped from his cage. How am I going to get him back in? He was just learning to step up, he won't eat out of my hand and when I try to get him to step up he just flies everywhere. Help Me.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
You could try Grace's method, but if you get a flashlight/torch, know exactly where Sniper is, then turn out all the lights at the same time, you can usually just pick him up.....talk to him softly so he doesn't think it's a dark goblin come to eat him & he doesn't try eating you in defense.....

If he's a biter, a small towel might be advisable.....since you have so much trouble getting him back in his cage, a wing clipping might be a good choice to calm him down and allow you to do some training until his wing feathers molt back in.....

Good luck.....

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
Yeah the towel method worked the best for my budgie when Percy refused to return to his cage. Apparently he thought it was a hoot to watch me sweating profusely and chasing him all around the downstairs. I swear he made it seem like a game, little brat. We have a half day policy here-half the day the birds fly free and the other half the cats get to come down out of the upstairs while the birds are safely in the cages. Unfortunately that day he decided he wasn't going in peacefully.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Another idea (and less horrifying for the bird) is to position his open cage as high in the room as you possibly can. Eventually, he'll get hungry/thirsty and ought to go home by himself. :)

Most Reactions