Visiting a crimson bellied today

lyricrex

Jan 20, 2015
Hello everyone.
I'm going to visit a female crimson bellied conure at a breeder. Need advice on what i should on this visit? Has everyone chosen their bird or you let the bird choose you? What if she doesn't connect with me, do I pass her up? Is their anything i can do to help her bond with me?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I've usually been the one to choose the bird, due to being shipped from out of state, or bought from a "closed aviary" to reduce risk of disease.

Raven my Pionus is one bird who was not crazy about me when he met me. He still isn't particularly friendly with me. At best he thinks I'm okay... Like I'm just an acquaintance of his, (or the co-worker that you like well enough, but don't necessarily have feelings for them beyond that) lol. He LOVES hubby. He chose who he liked better, and I really had no say, even though I'm the sole owner and caregiver.

Some species are probably more or less inclined to automatically loving their primary caregiver no matter what, like my Poicephalus for example. Also of course there's individuality too.

OP
L

lyricrex

Jan 20, 2015

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1424222958500.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424222958500.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 200

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Oh my goodness! Aren't they precious? How can you choose between those two faces, you have to adopt both of them.

OP
L

lyricrex

Jan 20, 2015
Wish I could. But another person has a deposit down for one. :(

Royalroacho

Dec 30, 2014
i went through the same worries. sometimes when id visit my gcc it would seem like he didnt remember me, or didnt like me, or bit me till i bled. i started worrying over choosing the wrong bird, should i try to get a different one, etc. once i brought him home, it was pretty clear he remembered, he was bonded to me immediately and had no acclimation time. im really glad i stuck with him, hes extremely obsessed with me (and vice versa), and picks up training almost immediately. as far as bonding, id suggest going as often and staying as long as theyll let you. hope i dont sound like a know it all, but it sounds like we had the same experience though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts