Extra Virgin Coconut Oil?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
After getting a hygrometer for my apartment, I realized that in winter, the humidity goes down to as low as 16% on some days! This is without AC / heat and with a bunch of indoor soil and water plants AND a humidifier running 24-7. I do leave windows open.

This is my second winter with Boomer and while he seemed to do okay last year, I'm worried about his skin and feather condition. I noticed he itches a bit more. I don't want him starting to pluck because of skin irritation.

So I remembered reading a thread in this forum about exta virgin coconut oil. The edible kind. Putting a bit on the beak and feet for health skin and plumage. Some people swore by it, some advised to stay away. I wanted to know of your opinion on it? I need lotion in the winter because my skin gets sore, itchy and tight from dryness. I want that same relief for Boomer.

Is organic, edible Extra Virgin Coconut Oil safe to use on our parrot's beak / feet?

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
as long as he doesnt eat too much of it, it sounds good to me. coconut oil is healthy, but because of its high fat content, I would try to avoid letting him eat it. you could try pure aloe for a less fatty substitute? I cant wait for winter :) so I hope this works!

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
i've used it on munch's feet because her feet can get dry, and so can dally's under her band. its been fine with our flock. as long as it isnt a gob of it, i dont see much harm in it? i've been told its safe, and people also put it in a lot of birdie bread recipes. i know i do. i use it to line the baking pan, instead of vegetable oil lol

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
VCO sounds suitable for your purpose, Boom. It's probably healthier than "ordinary" coconut oil, which contains a high proportion of saturated fats. It shouldn't be detrimental if any is ingested. We feed our birds coconuts in small amounts (the white flesh), they can be found on the side of the roads/nature strips locally at times from roadside plantings.

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Great to hear, thank you! After reading your posts last night, I opened the bottle of organic extra virgin coconut oil I got from Trader Joe's earlier (attached a pic). It has a really sweet, cozy, familiar scent. My grandma and pretty much all the old people in the country i grew up in (the Philipines) used home-made coconut oil on their hair and skin to keep it healthy, so the scent brings back good memories. Consequently, after reading the label, it turns out that the brand I bought was made in the Philippines lol!

I put some on Boomer's beak. He is always ok with me holding/touching his feet but last night, with the oil, he gave me a good warning nip. So instead of applying it directly to his feet, I just applied some on my finger and let him perch on it. He did so and through that he got the oil on the bottom of his feet.

I'll report how it goes after a while. I want to introduce it slowly to make sure he has no adverse reaction to it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 364

Most Reactions

Latest posts