OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
:09:

i just asked mum if she can buy a teddy with the graduation hat, and she said sure, why do you need it?

'ummm.. i was going to get fargo to wear it' :54:

:20:

I was looking at what other tricks to teach him, and the only one i can find without using props is to shake his head no, but im not sure if that is safe? like if he just kept shaking his head because he thought that would get him a treat, wouldnt that be bad? because if i shake my head it hurts :p

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I think it is great that you and Fargo are so close. I am more and more thinking of finding a local breeder and bringing a baby macaw. Hopefuly my green cheek would not think of itself as the big bird.

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
haha thank you ! :)
dont let my videos rush you into the decision of getting a macaw! Fargo is pretty special, he doesnt scream or bite, so training is so easy with him, and he absolutely loves it!
and remember i am with him 23 hours a day ;)
but if you have the time go for it!
good luck! :D

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
:09:

i just asked mum if she can buy a teddy with the graduation hat, and she said sure, why do you need it?

'ummm.. i was going to get fargo to wear it' :54:

:20:
hahaha! so your mum doesn't quite understand, huh? ;):rolleyes:

I was looking at what other tricks to teach him, and the only one i can find without using props is to shake his head no, but im not sure if that is safe? like if he just kept shaking his head because he thought that would get him a treat, wouldnt that be bad? because if i shake my head it hurts :p
Well, a Macaw's head is far less massive than a human head. So gravity and inertia aren't going to punish it as much as they will yours or mine. But I take your point and would probably worry a bit, too. Plus there are lots of important nerve trunks and blood vessels in the neck.

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
hahaha mums about To go to town and I wrote her a list of props to try and find ;) hehe

yehhhh :/ I think I may just skip that trick! lol

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
haha thank you ! :)
dont let my videos rush you into the decision of getting a macaw! Fargo is pretty special, he doesnt scream or bite, so training is so easy with him, and he absolutely loves it!
and remember i am with him 23 hours a day ;)
but if you have the time go for it!
good luck! :D

I do not plan on rushing into getting a Macaw:) It would be alot of money also being thirty years old a Macaw living human like years such as in their 70s probably will outlive me. Though I have a conure I never had a large parrot and something tells me there is new issues and obsticles with a larger bird then with a smaller one. I also would want to do thingsright and not encourage aggression. As a child I had a cockatiel and green cheek conure (both were hand feed) and bonded with me. I got my current conure on craigslist. She is bonding with me and we have come a long ways. She now sits on my shoulder, plays with my hair, loves head scratches and will lay in my hand. But I do not think I would get a Macaw off craigslist. I will honestly say though my dream bird is a Macaw. But I would want to do it right and make sure the bird had a proper diet. I know Macaws need more fat and oil in their diet then other birds.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts