Favorite treats, anyone?

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
Well,the ultimate treat at my house is toast. Birds that want nothing to do with me, are my "buddy" if i have toast. They used to get it with butter back in the old days but all of us eat it plain now, LOL

Oh! That reminds me - toast pieces with peanut butter. I know an amazon that LOVES peanut butter, either on toast or muffins.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Codie has a small piece of toast each morning with a smear of Peanut Butter!!
As soon as she sees me doing my toast she starts dancing about in anticipation lol

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
The toast is an every morning ritual at my house, my wife has to make a extra piece (homemade bread) so that every body,even the dogs , gets a bite.

Tashia

Aug 20, 2012
Media
Franklinton La
Parrots
Willow- Green Cheek Amazon
Willow LOVES string beans! I only buy fresh bulk beans but when she sees you coming out of the kitchen with one in hand you are her best friend! She also loves green peas, but i've been warned to stay away from sweet peas that they don't digest them well. She also loves fresh herbs like rosemary. It sounds like a strange treat but when your dealing with a picky eater you have to think outside the box!

VictoriaVague

Aug 19, 2012
Media
UK
Parrots
Titus: Maroon Bellied Conure. Hatch date: 8th June 2012
Titus loves the dried soft apple you can get but make sure it is non-sulphured. Many of the other treats we offer him, he seems to treat like toys to tear apart but not swallow.

Gshepdog

Aug 22, 2012
Massachusetts
Parrots
Dusty 35 y/o Orange Wing Amazon and Perrott 18 y/o Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Hi:

My girls eat everything. If one won't eat it, the other one will. So they eat get different treats a lot of times. But apples, cherries, steak, chicken, pellets, sunflower seeds, and hard boiled eggs are popular with both of them.

I usually make them small peanut butter/banana sandwiches which they love. I got a new product called Sun Butter which is made with sunflower seeds instead of peanuts for allergic people. My girls have gone nuts over it. I limit it so they don't get fat. They are both at good weights.

Lee

SpringCottageParrot

Jun 6, 2012
The Weald of Kent
Parrots
Casper a blue fronted Amazon
I am somewhat concerned about the cannibalistic tendencies of some of these "butter wouldn't melt in my beak" sweet little feathery monsters who eat chicken and eggs. :D

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Ricco - Goffin's Cockatoo
Pine nuts, sadly.

Pine nuts, so far, are the only thing he will just go crazy for. Which sucks for me since they're like 15 dollars a pound! Yikes!

Clueless

Feb 14, 2012
Missouri
Parrots
Secret & MC, two blue front amazons
Secret used to be hard to get to go back into her cage. I used a shred of cheddar cheese (since that is hard for them to digest) and would place it on her perch - instant return of parrot!

Sunflower seeds - they absolutely love. Secret will fly off the cage when the sunflower seed package goes into the living room . . . Wheat bread with a tiny dab of peanut butter smeared on it. I bake a sweet potato in the microwave, mash a tiny bit of it and put it in a separate bowl for each amazon. I'm amazed at the sounds MC makes as he gobbles it - it actually looked like he licked the bowl clean! WARNING - make sure that the food is not hot, it's like babies - make sure just barely warm.

I've given dried vegetables - Secret will only eat the dried green beans. MC prefers the white vegetables and now will pretty much toss a bunch of the other veggies out of his bowl.

MC likes pistachio seeds -- not sure if it's just the challenge to get in or the taste. Secret lets it lay there - totally lazy parrot. Open it for the bird or it's gonna lay there.

Yep - they are spoiled rotten.

Most Reactions

Latest posts